#1 chipster

chipster

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

hi there
i dont get a many answers to my questions, maybe this one. does anyone know matala? i want to come out in september, how is it there in the winter? every answer helps
cheers
chipster

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

Matala is a very quiet place in the winter and most shops and taverns will be closed. The other villages in the area though remain lively because they are not so dependent on tourism.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 chipster

chipster

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

hi yiannis
thank you. we will come to crete in june and have a look around.
tahnk you

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

Matala is really a strange place in the winter, only some max. 10 people live there at that time, totally different from the tourist village full of life that you know from the summer months.

I once thought that when I moved to Crete I would like to live in Matala - fortunately, my daughter who lives there talked me out of it. I now live in Pitsidia, three kms from Matala, it has definitely been a much better solution, also during winter.

#5 chipster

chipster

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

hi dinny
thank you for your answer. so you are in pitsidia, how is it there? my wife and i like to be on the sea, so we are trying to find a house close to the sea. i lived once in a village with 10 ten people and it was actually very nice,as long the next bigger village for shopping is not too far away. however, every little info helps. take it easy and nasse gala.
thank you
chipster (dirk)

#6 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

Hi chipster,
I've just replied to your PM so you've got my idea of Pitsida, which in general is very positive, summer and winter! ;-)