2 replies to this topic

#1 Jorge

Jorge

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi, i am staying at the Perle in Stavros (Akrotiri Peninsula) next week. does anyone know if there is much to do around the hotel, it seems to me pretty quite around there?

we will probably want to go out for dinner in Chania and have some wine so i will need a taxi to get back to the hotel. any ideas how much this would be?

Also advice on any good local tavernas (non touristy) around stavros or inside Chania would be really appreciated.

cheers

Jorge

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

I stand to be corrected but my recollection of the area is that it is on the quiet side. There is some info on taxi fares on this site (at http://www.explorecr...crete-taxis.htm ) . From Chania airport into the city is €15 which may give you some idea of the rate.
Some of Zorba the Greek was filmed on Akrotiri. Zorba's mountain was at Stavros and the dance scene was filmed on the beach there by all accounts - watching the film before you go may add to your enjoyment of the area. This link ( http://www.kretakult.....sally eng.htm ) suggests that the taverna Christiana houses an Oscar that was won by the film.

#3 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

Hi Jorge

Excellent choice of hotel. We've stayed there three times. It is in a very isolated position. Very quiet and Stavros is about a twenty minute walk. There is a bus service which stops right outside the hotel and goes into Chania but I'm afraid I dont know what time the last bus is back. You will find the reception staff are very very helpful and have lots of information about this, and many other things. It takes about 15-20 minutes to drive into Chania.

But if you have never been to Chania, you must make the effort to go. The hotel is lovely, luxurious and all the staff are delightful. However, with the exception of a barb-e-q night there really isn't very much to do in the evenings.

I hope you have a lovely time. If he is there please send my love to George the parrot!

Cheers
Caroline