#1 -Kickie-

-Kickie-

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

Ahhh...What the heck!

Ladies and gentlemen let me introduce Kickie. Not a new member but more often a quiet one, unless you ask me why I love Crete.
I'm a perfectly well preserved Swedish woman, a mother of two great young adults and a regular visitor of Chania since 16 years. Seen other parts of the island too, and am a sucker for Knossos, but Chania holds my heart. Will there ever be time enough to explore all amazing corners of Crete, will my brain keep in mind all the stunning facts I learn? I have no idea but hence I'm relocating permanently in a few days at least I'll give it all a try.

Leaving Sweden for the "Great Unknown" wasn't a tough decision, I simply had to wait for my children to grow up and finish school. Now they have, my son decided to become a Brit (might have to do with the Ale) and my daughter is just as mad about Crete as I am. Life's wonderful! I'm selling all my belongings and expect to make a new start - Yes, I know it won't be easy but I don't expect it to be either! - in Chania. I rather give it a try and fail than regret that I didn't dare. Life in Sweden have never been easy, only well known, familiar and rather dull. After spending months in Crete, even wintertime, I wouldn't dream of calling it dull. Crete put sparkles in my eyes.

Cheers to my future life!
Kickie

Attached File  Kickie2.jpg   42.68KB   104 downloads

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:19 AM

Very best wishes for your amazing adventure of a new life in Crete - I hope you have time to keep us up dated on your progress and the level of sparkle in your eyes :D
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hi Kickie - Fantastic and well done for having such nerve. As you say, you would regret it if you never tried - and that would be a shame. Life is too short. :D Grab every opportunity with both hands and enjoy to the full. I am sure it will be hard at first, but everyone is so welcoming and helpful I'm sure it won't be long before you settle and realise what a great decision you have taken. Do let us know on the forum how you get on, perhaps a blog would be good. some are meeting in Crete in 2 weeks time, unfortunately we are out there the week before and cannot meet those, but will do our utmost next time round. congratulations to your new life :D :D

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hi Kickie,
you are one of the regualr contributors to this site and it is a pleasure to read that you have decided to move to Crete after all.
For those who haven't noticed yet, Kickie has created a photoalbum with many beautiful photos of Crete in the older gallery section: http://www.explorecr...gallery/album11
Kickie, I hope your new life in Crete will be exactly as you have been expecting it to be, and keep us informed of how things evolve.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

Hi Kickie - as somebody who moved from Scandinavia to England a few (well, quite a few, actually) years ago, I can readily relate to your son's fondness for the English beer, flat-ish and not cold. And of course also to your and your daugter's love for Crete, something all of us here share.

Henry.

#6 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

Good luck Kickie. Let us know where in Crete u finallysettle down so we can pay you a suprise visit sometime.

#7 -Kickie-

-Kickie-

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

Kalimera Kriti!

Thank you all for your kind wishes, I will try to keep you posted on my well being and location. If it gets only half as bad and tough as I imagine I will be in paradise, it's all about finding a permanent job as many of you know. Two interviews coming up, fingers crossed!

I've already got plenty of sewing waiting, as all relocated Scandinavians seem to lack curtains and I'm bringing my machines over. Rumor spread fast, a pretty new dressmaker in Chania, which probably will contribute to a more grandiose lifestyle than begging :huh:

Only 9 more days in winter clothes!

Hope to see some of you around//Kickie

#8 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:27 PM

HI Kickie,
What an amazing decision! I strongly believe you have made the right one too! How can you go wrong on Crete, especially Chania. It is my favorite too.

I wish you all the best and hope that you enjoy each minute!
Which part of Chania will you be calling home?

#9 -Kickie-

-Kickie-

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hi Brook,

Yes, Chania is lovely!

As for housing I'll have to quote an 80's singer to answer; Wherever I lay my hat... We still haven't got a flat, but home is Agia Marina - Platanias, and there are plenty of sun beds:D

Staying with a friend the first couple of days to give me time to look at some flats and find a job. I've got two interviews coming up. My daughter has her job in Agia Marina and none of us drive (sober...) so we thought nearby would be best for her. Me, I might have to use the local buses but then I'm not on holidays anymore. If we make it through the summer we will probably have more to choose from.

Time will tell, and as soon as I know so will you all.

Cheers!
Kickie

#10 Evelyn & Ove

Evelyn & Ove

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

Just wanted to wish You all the best, and good luck in Crete.
We are going to Platanias in July, but just for 2 weeks.
Hope all your dreams come true :rolleyes: