15 replies to this topic

#1 MikeD

MikeD

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

I don't like olive oil, never have understood the desire to slosh oil over perfectly good food :D
Come to that I'm not all that keen on cheese either!
If I came to live in Crete would this give me a problem?

MikeD

#2 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

Is this a wind-up? :D

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

Yes it would, and I'd like you to advise to stay at home and restrict yourself to mums home cooking. :D
Yes Lil, I think he is B)
:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 MikeD

MikeD

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

Dear me Wim, why a wind-up?
In the English lake district there used to be a hermit often refered to as the Borrowdale Hermit. He found some people's pronouncements difficult to accept so he carved over the entrance to his cave "Don't waste words, jump to conclusions"
I wonder if I would have had the same type of response if I said I was vegetarian or perhaps had an intollerance to olive oil?

#5 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

MikeD - Greece consumes 27.3kg per person average of cheese per year (mainly feta), followed by France 24kg, Italy 22.9, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Austria and Sweden...... If you were vegetarian as you say, you wouldn't order meat would you - therefore, if you don't like cheese - don't order it.
As for olive oil don't add it or specifically ask that your food is not dressed in oil (no different from someone on a diet here) -
Obviously you fry your eggs in oil (which isn't olive oil) Don't tell me - you poach them!
I don't drink coffee - in my little town here where I live we have around 15 coffee shops in one road alone - I don't frequent them.
I hate having my hair done at the hairdressers, we have nearly 40 in our little town.....I don't go in them and choose to do my own hair.
It's raining this morning and I have to go out - I'll either take an umbrella and stay dry, or I won't and I'll get wet ....
You have a choice in life - you 'do' or you 'don't.'

#6 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

Hi
Since i visited Crete a few years ago and tasted olive oil in food for the first time I know always use olive oil. I cant imagine not using oil.

MikeD ..you best stay at home lad, if you feel like that :blink:

No offence intended ok?

#7 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

I didn't like lemon squeezed all over my food when I first moved to Greece. When out having Meze with friends they would cover the food in lemon without asking first. After 7 years I have got used to it (even like it) and I now squeeze the lemon on the shared food (although I do ask first).

You will either get to like olive oil on your food or end up not living in Crete. What do you fry your eggs and chips in? I use olive oil, and it tastes 100 x better than vegetable oil or lard?

#8 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hi Assim, I used to fry my eggs etc in Olive Oil but now I save that just for med dishes I'm cooking, or use as a dipping oil with balsamic vinegar and crusty bread. I've just started using Rapeseed oil for frying eggs etc in as it's very high in Omega 3 and 6 apparently.

#9 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:28 PM

Mike
I am sure you would find it a significant problem. It is not just a question of choosing not to pour olive oil over food, much (most?) food is cooked in it.
Not indulging would, I think, severely restrict your social activities and be the source of much comment.
I am reminded of a scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, in which the prospective groom says he is a vegetarian - the room goes quiet and then the aunt says something like, "that's ok he can have lamb". Some concepts, dislike of meat, dislike of fish (in my case) dislike of olive oil - are difficult for Greeks to understand I think.
Dislike of raki is perhaps the least incomprehensible!
Tim :blink:

#10 Tix

Tix

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hello everyone,
Im Tix, Im new to this site.
I joined for a few reasons, to meet like minded people, we are soon to be looking for a house to buy in Crete and we are getting married there next August.
I currently live in England with my Fiance and our respective children, my fiance is a greek Cypriot (although he has been living in the U.K most of his life).

#11 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

I love this board and the members :D ..

Tix, I'm afraid its the wrong question in the wrong topic :D :wub: :wub: this one is about olive oil :o

:)

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#12 Manolis

Manolis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

Come to live in Crete No problem that you dont like oil,
we go to forgive you !!!

#13 Kreta&Me

Kreta&Me

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

Come to Crete, we will "convert" you :-)

#14 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:17 PM

Come to Crete, we will "convert" you :-)

Mrs H became a convert to olive oil in Crete!

Henry.

#15 ftodlin

ftodlin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

Mike if you are still reading replies to this old post then just remember my old friend Horace Lathi. Say his name in any restaurant here in Crete and your food will appear oil-less!

Rob

#16 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:04 AM

Mike, can you eat food if it is made with a little olive oil? That is, if you order say a vegetarian dish and it is cooked with
olive oil and you do not know that, would you be able to detect it? Is it just the sight of olive oil on a salad that you
do not like?

If you do not like the sight and taste of olive oil on your food, then yes, you will have a problem because olive oil
is used extensively in Greek cooking, as I am sure you know.

I scanned my Greek cook books---all vegetarian----and I found only a few
recipes that did not call for olive oil. So if you really do not like the taste of olive oil and can detect it in cooked foods and
baked bread, then you will have a problem finding foods to your liking. But if it is just the sight of olive oil that you do not like, you could order
dressings on the side with your salad.

As most people on this forum know,it is generally difficult to order "cooked to order" dishes in Greece because many cooks will make batches of their dishes and display them in the
kitchens for people to view and order. But I suppose there are some restaurants where someone will cook especially for you.

Good luck to you.