#1 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

Hi All
Well, My name is Kieran I am from Ireland and I have been on holiday to Crete 5 times from 1999 to 2004. And I am going back there again this year in the last 2 weeks of August. I know I know its not the best time but circumstances dictate. I have travelled the length and breath of Crete. North South East and West. At the moment I am exploring where we ( my wife and I) will go this year. And I was hoping you might have some ideas and little gems of places. I will be based in Grouves and hope to hire a car to travel around. Any ideas would be really appreciated. I will be arriving on the 18th for 2 weeks.

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

Keiran
It seems like you have travelled everywhere - except the middle bits! Why not give the mountain areas a try as far as you can. Some wonderful places many all the better for being off the beaten track.

#3 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

Thank you Tim. I was thinking the same. If you have any ideas please let me know. Any suggestions would be gratfully appreciated

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

Hi Aardigman, that's Dutch for NiceGuy! You knew?
You're probably a Suid Afrikaner?

I miss the south in your enumeration.
That's the part where you look North to see the Psiloritus :D

:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

Hello Wim. To be sure I am not a Suid Afrikaner lol. I am a true Paddy lol. An English lady living in Den Haag I used to chat to called me that (my old nick was nicefella) lol. Anyway. tell me more about the Psilorisus, I have never heard of it and i am not sure what you mean. however, I will look up my Rouch Guide to Crete and surf to see what it is all about. Thank you for the reply and please tell me more. Than you

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

I think Wim meant Psiloritis or Mt Ida, which is in the centre of Crete.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Thank you Yannis. I will look those up. If you have anyother ideas .. please feel free to share them . lol

#8 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

Hi Yannis I have been reading about MT Ida but the road and the driving seem a bit daunting. Can you get a bus to there?
Thank you

#9 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

Do not worry about the road they are ok.
Psiloritis is a good choice. Why not stay a night in Anogia and then visit the cave, Idi Andron where Zeus "maybe" was born.
There is also a beautiful cave in Zoniana
If you are lucky you will have a great evening in Anogia and do not miss to have macaronia me tiri.
Where to stay? Try Hotel Aris where you have a perfect and fantastic view over the valleys and the mountains.

Another choice would be Amari valley with all its villages and many thing to explore. Here if you like you can drive on to Zaros, Gortis
or to Festos, it is all up to you.
Now the sea is not far away; Matala or Agia Galini.

Lassithi is further away but also a great moutain region. Why not spend a night there and have a real cretan meal.
But do not worry about the roads, they are ok.

lars
Kriti sti kardia mou
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#10 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

I would heartily endorse the suggestions of my old friend lars - I think he and Stelios Jackson are amongst the most well informed (non-Cretan) people around, especially when it comes to the non-tourist parts of Crete. Lars has written many fine reports that can be found in the archives here, and Stelios has written up much of his walk (see http://www.hellenicb...riti/Kriti.htm)
If I may suggest, there are some great books about that can either tempt you to seek out new places, or enjoy them all the more when there - or both! SJ has some suggestions on his site but my favourites include "Between The Sea - A quiet walk through Crete" by the late Christopher Thorne (ISBN 1 85619 188 5), "Under Mount Ida - A Journey into Crete" by Oliver Burch (ISBN 1-85253-2-2-5). My particular odyssey has been inspired by books arising from Crete's wartime experiences, in particular Ill Met by Moonlight by William Stanley Moss, (see http://www.explorecr...eipe-Anogia.htm for a hint of the sort of trouble that book has got me in to over the last 17 years!). That led to the late George Psychoundakis' "The Cretan Runner", and Antony Beevor's "Crete the Battle and the Resistance". Reading of the exploits of some of these characters, and relating them to the terrain made me hold them, and the Cretan people, in even higher regard.
I should also point out that some of the Blogs here make excellent reading and provide ideas as to where, and perhaps where not - to go. See Yvonne's " Operation Tim's Road".
There is some fascinating material on this website -explore it and then Explore Crete.
Tim

#11 laineymcc

laineymcc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

Hi Kieran

I am going to crete in the last two weeks of August too !! We have booked for Koutouloufari but dont know much about it. Have you been there ???

#12 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Looks like I will be spending my time in the south of Crete near and in Matala. And I would appreciate from the forum of other places recommendated to go in the area.
Thank you

#13 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

Where to start? Gortys, of course is a must - see the recent article on the main site. Plus Phaistos and Agia Triada. We also enjoyed the folk museum in Vori - well laid out and fascinating. Also, explore some of the villages in the area - Sivas and Petrokefali come to ind. I'm sure others will have some even better sugestions.

Pam & Bob

#14 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

Pam's suggestions are excellent. If you visit Phaistos and Agia Triada, start with Agia Triada first and then go to Phaistos late in the afternoon, because around noon it can be very hot up there.
Don't miss a visit to the Monastery of Odigitria, but read about its history before you go there.
The restaurants by the square of Sivas are excellent for dinner. Walk in the narrow streets and enjoy the many restored buidings there.
Drive to the village of Zaros and the nearby lake. For dinner or lunch in Zaros, do not miss the Vegera taverna of Vivi and her mother. I am sure you will love their cooking and hospitality: http://www.vegerazar...tml/indexE.html

Explore the villages on the south flanks of Psiloritis, like Kamares and Magarikari. They preserve their traditional architecture and they are high enough to offer panoramic views to the Libyan sea and the bay of Messara.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#15 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

and if you are feeling very laid back, you can easily spend a day just watching the world go by and talking to friends in a taverna in Kamares - can you not Yannis?
Tim :wub:

#16 antreas

antreas

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

I suggest South Crete.For sure..!Quiet sunny beaches,nature,and beautiful sights...
Antreas.