• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

Just enjoyed a good read with an afternoon cuppa - some weighty topics this time.

Here in the UK we have the sort of weather we would hope for in June and whilst the affect of global warming is enjoyable today it is easy to see why the threat of desertification is a problem in Crete. (We already have grass going brown due to a lack of the traditional April showers.)

Thanks as always to Yannis and team.
Kritsa Yvonne

#2 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

Must agree that it is an interesting and informative read as always. Well done.

I was interested to read details of the proposed complex at Kavo Sidero but was surprised to find that an equal amount of space was devoted to "Ecocrete" and their opposition to it. Since the project is a "done deal", and work is due to commence next May, is this an attempt at balanced reporting or do I detect that the Crete Gazette is also not in favour of this project?

I would hate to think that the Crete Gazette is against the development of tourist attractions!

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

Big discussions in Pitsidia about the contents in the May issue. (As always, Yannis has been kind enough to send me a few printed copies which I try to distribute here and in the nearby villages. Although I haven't seen neither the local hairdresser nor any of our local tavernas making any advertising so far!, so it might be a vain effort). Anyway, the articles about the Battle of Crete is being thoroughly discussed, obviously the German tourists still don't like to be reminded about the events, while the English are very interested. Despite John Cleese's "Don't mention the war!" I find it extremely interesting reading and the events should never be forgotten.

Also the report from the conference about desertification was extremely interesting and thorough. However, I would have liked to have read some suggestions for solutions as well.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

No, not the war, which war?

I wonder what happened to Lou. And now I hope that nobody is going to ask me; who is Lou....

He must have have left Crete and the Gazette on a sort of air stream. Why?
Or did he rise from his ashes and named himself " living in Crete".

:huh:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."