#1 bobbi

bobbi

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:40 AM

Hi Everyone

This is my first time posting on this site! We are closing in on our first holiday to Greece with 9 days in Crete. We do plan to spend part of our vacation just travelling around so it keeps our options open, however I do like to get some idea of places to stay in advance so we have a few options. Plus with limited time it cuts down on the search for accomodation when I'd rather be enjoying my vacation!!!
A couple of questions for you experts:

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions of places to stay in Plakias and Matala. w'ed like simple, quiet and clean with a balcony and views if possible.

I have done quite a bit of research on car hires and it appears that there is no one place recommended as it is a bit hit and miss. It has been suggested that we go with a company like Hertz or Budget, etc as opposed to a small local agency. Would you agree? I have also heard booking on line in advance isn't always the best way to get a deal and doing it when we arrive might be the best way to go. Finally is it usually relatively easy to pick up in one location (we arrive in Chania) and drop off in another (we leave from Heraklion).

Thanks everyone for your help. We leave in 4 weeks and I can't tell you how excited I am. This trip has been a a year in the planning following 25 years of dreaming!

#2 Boiling Snail

Boiling Snail

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

We book a car online in advance wherever we go. Sites like autoeurope.com will get you a Hertz, Avis etc. car cheaper than booking online with Hertz or Avis. Autoeurope book large numbers of cars daily and negotiate cheaper pricing.

Booking in advance is less worry and less work when you get there - trapsing around small rental car dealers looking for the right price is not always a holiday favorite with the kids. We have never had trouble picking up a car we booked online, so we don't worry about the reliability of online reservation.

However, I'm talking about our trips round Europe. Crete is different. It is very easy, we have found, to find a car once you are there. One car we booked in advance online turned out to be from a small dealer 200m from the hotel.

So our advice would be don't worry, look for a car once you"re there. You're not arriving in August with five beach-hungry children, so you'll have time to find a good deal. Have a good trip. And drive safe.

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

Bobbi,
If you want a central, very reasonably priced, spotlessly clean, friendly but basic accomodation in Plakias then you can do no better than stay at Pension Kiriakos. I make no apology for saying that Aglaia ( Ag-lie- e -a ) is now a good friend of mine, as was her late husband Kiriakos- but I have no financial stake in her place!
Aglaia has rooms which are situated at the top of the street in Plakias in which the doctor and chemist have their shop/office. It is pretty much slap bang in the middle of Plakias, a street back from the front. A couple of rooms have balconies that look down the street to the sea, others to the rear or to the side. Aglaia keeps the place spotless. Most evenings, you will see guests taking a little raki on the large front porch, where we used to spend many hours with Kiriakos before setting off for a stroll and evening meal.
The majority of guests are regulars of many years standing of many nationalities - all of which combines to make it, in my view, a great place to stay. It isn't all mod cons but it is clean and meets all your basic needs as well as providing a great opportunity to meet a wonderful local landlady and an interesting bunch of fellow guests.
I have a card that gives contact details as (0832) 31307, 31630 Fax 31631 but suspect that the area code may need updating - others will advise I am sure. That said I usually take my chance and just turn up! Aglaia (Tzanidakis) speaks enough English to get by. If possible, avoid ringing in the afternoons as she often takes a nap after a morning's hard work.
If this is not what you are looking for I would not expect you to have trouble finding accomodation a plenty at this time of year in Plakias.
As for car hire, I usually use a local firm ([email protected]), but I would quite happily use many others, just check the car over first and - most important- make sure it has a good spare. A number advertise here - and elsewhere - and some will permit collection and drop off at different airports. The Multi nationals will perhaps charge more for this.
I doubt that I shall go to Crete this year, but if I was I would be staying with Aglaia.

#4 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

good suggestion from Tim, and there's an excellent Taverna across the road so you don't have far to stagger home :(
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

Must be all of ten metres Chris!

#6 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:48 PM

that depends on the amount of raki that babbis has been giving out!!

sorry to hear you're not getting out there this year
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org