28 replies to this topic

#1 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

Topic exclusively for announcing member parties and other festivities in Crete for this year.

:(

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

Thanks, Wim for starting this topic. On a previous topic we have talked about 26th May for the Explore Crete gathering - does that still suit? We'll definitely be in the south at that time, so be good for us. Last year Dinny kindly hosted an afternoon get-together at her place in Pitsidia, but we're not sure she'll want to do that this time, now that she's got Bella and there'll be new kittens! Dinny, if not, maybe you'll be so kind as to get us the apartment we had last year with the big terrace and we could do it. The plan would then be to have a break and meet up for drinks and a meal - suggestions welcome, but based on last year preferably no driving! Santo, please make sure no large Rakis for me! :( :D

So, please let us know who'll be about and what you want to do.

Pam & Bob

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:17 PM

I am happy to say we will be there and are looking forward to it - where ever it ends up being held.

Once a venue is agreed we will aim to get accommodation within walking distance - based on Pam's advice. :(
Kritsa Yvonne

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

I'd love to join the party and meet you all in the flesh :D but; why are they always in a period that I have to help students pass their exams and teach the others how to arrive there?

:(
And since I hate the high season (to hot and to much noise), I only want to visit Crete for or after it, so I have a big problem when to get there.

:D

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

Only one way round it my friend, instead of working for another 15 years til you retire, :( you'll have to retire early.

:D :D :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#6 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

I am sorry, Wim, but not being academics or with school-age children, we choose to visit at the nicest times of the year. May,/June is lovely and we've also been in September/October - if you could make September, let us know as maybe we'll be out again then.

Pam & Bob

#7 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

To answer both of you Pam and Santo,

In September courses start a new. :blink: And Santo, help, I thought you read every mail on this forum :huh:
I'm free from schedules when I'm 65 :( which is in about 2 years :lol:

Gotcha B)

#8 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

I do Wim, it was my way of being polite but cheeky :blink:

:huh: :lol:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#9 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Ha :blink: Santo, tongue in cheek isn't it :huh: Wasn't aware of that one, must be my blond hair :(

:lol:

#10 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

Let's hear it for the best date: Will everybody wanting to join be here at the 26th? I know I will :blink:

Pam, you might be right about the too much confusion with Bella and kittens, not everybody likes to be thrown to the ground by a 30 kgs bunch of utterly joy, so if you are really looking for a place in Matala I can go and check with the Mrs. if the place is free for that period. Would be great to start the party with an afternoon on that terrace overlooking the bay.

That would in anyway confine us to Matala - having to choose a restaurant there. I can't say I was impressed with last year's choice, well, the food was OK, but the bill was a thefth. We might be able to agree on the restaurant Vrahos, an excellent fish restaurant overlooking the beach of Kommos, let me know what you think. It's a bit outside Matala, but we should be able to walk (or tumble) back after dinner without having to bring the car.

Well, I'm here if you need me. :huh:

#11 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

I'm over from the 22nd, so the 26th would be ideal, also agree with you regarding last year's bill !!!!!!!!! :blink: :huh:

Vrahos seems a good choice and the walk after may help Pam to recover a bit better than she did last year LOL :lol: :(

Definately approve of the "Terrace" starter.

B) B) B)
Santo

#12 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

Quick reply, as I must get to work.

Yes, please Dinny see if you can get us the same apartment as last year - we'll be arriving on 25th May and we'll be happy to host the afternoon session - may need some extra supplies of glasses etc, but we can sort that out nearer the time. Vrahos sounds good to me as well and no problem with a short walk.

Pam & Bob

#13 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

Quick reply as I must go to bed :lol:

Can't afford to hop over for a weekend and not spending at least a fortnight for the money to get there :(
Seems I have to find a spouse in order to get me there for such festivities :blink:

:huh:
B)

#14 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

26th is good for me. The only thing that worries me is if Dinny will be able to drive the next day's afternoon. I have to catch a flight to Copenhagen 27th at 10.40 p.m. and she has promised to drive me to the airport .... :blink:

Looking forward to meet you all!
Birgit

#15 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

Don't worry about that, Birgit. I'm tougher than the rest! :blink:

#16 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

I can vouch for that !!!!!!

B) B)
Santo

#17 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

Had just been checking with the lady that rents the "little room with the big terrace" in Matala but unfortunately it is booked already.

So we need a volunteer for the gathering-before-the-party. Anybody is welcome here at my house, of course, and if I tie Bella up we might all be able to survive. Otherwise maybe Ton could suggest something? B)

Would also like Ton's opinion about che choice of Vrahos or whether he could suggest something more suitable in Matala? Personally I am crazy with eating at Vrahos, especially for the view, but generally I also like their food.

Yannis Samatas!!! Will you be joining us this year? Or will you book a hacker to decompose the site like last year just to avoid us? B)

#18 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

Dinny on the 26th evening we'r catching the Ferry from Pireaus to Heraklion. It seems that I will miss the Fiesta. B)
Is there going to be a follow up party next day for those who are still in the mood? or a coffee party to clear up the head. B)

#19 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

That's a shame, Ton - we thought you'd be arriving in Crete earlier than that. I'm sure we can arrange at least a coffee party the following morning before Birgit disappears. We'll certainly be around for a few more days after that, and I believe Santo & Linda as well, so hopefully you'll join us for a meal before we go off.

Pam & Bob

#20 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

SOB :( SOB

Would have loved to drink you all under the table :D specially Dinny, who seems/appears to have fallen in to a Lambiek, once somewhere in the past :o and is now almost insensible for alcohol :P

:wacko:

B)