#1 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hello!

I'd like to suppose to your attention one case of an EU citizen that has not yet a job but wants to stay more than 3 months here in Crete. Is this person required to get to the Police and get a Residency Permit or can she stay without problems as long she wishes?
If yes, do you know what are the required documents for obtaining such a permit?

Thank you very much

#2 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

Residence Permit :blush:
(Adeia Paramonis / Adeia Dianomis)

If you are an EU citizen staying in Greece for less than three months you do not require a residence permit.

If you wish to stay longer than three months then you should obtain one from your local Crete police station. However there are no penalties against EU Nationals who stay longer than 3 months, as in practice the authorities have no way of knowing how long you have been in the country - they do not issue visas or stamp the passport of EU Nationals when entering or leaving the country.

The Europa (official EU) website had published a rule regarding the scrapping of residents permits back in April 2006. However a more recent look at the Europa website shows that the EU / Greece seems to have back-tracked on this, and the link to the original article has been removed from their website. According to their latest information the residence permit is still 'officially' required, although in practice it is rarely used.

Having said that, if you are permanently resident in Greece it is worth obtaining one (and is a relatively simple procedure) for the rare occasion when you may be asked to show one; for example if changing a driving licence, buying a car or permanently importing a vehicle.

EU New Member States - No restrictions in Greece (see Europa Text )
Greece imposes no restrictions on citizens from the other Member States of the European Union (EU) with regard to access to the labour market.

Specifically, the barriers limiting the right of entry for the purposes of paid employment of nationals from the eight new Member States were lifted as of 1 May 2006. By this decision, Greece welcomes all citizens from the Accession States (Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Estonia Lithuania, Latvia and Poland) by giving them equal rights of residence and employment as other EU citizens, in accordance with the principle of the free movement of workers.

Consequently, as from the abovementioned date, nationals from the eight new EU Member States will be treated by the Greek authorities, in particular with regard to paid employment, as Community nationals

To obtain a 5 year residence permit EU citizens should apply in person at the nearest main police station with the following documents:

* Photocopy of passport
*4 to 6 passport size photographs

You may also be asked for:
* An EHIC health card or proof of private health insurance
* a bank book to show you can support yourself
or an 'Ypevthini Dilosi' (sworn statement) signed by the applicant stating you can support yourself, or a document proving that you are receiving a pension, or a work contract.
* If you own property you may be asked for a photocopy of the deeds or building permit.

Non EU Citizens

Non-EU citizens may enter and remain in Greece for up to 3 months. Check with your Embassy regarding visa restrictions, residence and work permits.

Passports of non EU Nationals must be valid for at least three months after the period of intended stay.

#3 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

Ton,
Thank you very much for your answer!

Have a nice day!
Sorin

#4 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

Regardless of what the EU say (Greece always does things it own way) You do not need a residents permit.

I have lived here 7 years without one and never needed one. I work for a Greek company. I imported my motorbike etc and have never been asked for a permit. I have even been to my local police station to check and they refused to issue one, saying as I was an EU citizen I didn't need one.

You are more likely to need a tax number. Especially if you own a house, car or boat.

#5 Carolina

Carolina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

Ton you really should quote your source when you copy whole material from a webpage – the info above posted by Ton came from my page on www.livingincrete.net

The documentation requirements vary depending on which police are issuing the permit, ( some ask for 4 photos, others ask for 6 as for the Greek tautotita - ID card) and all documents in my list above have been requested by the police at one time or another.

Assim I lived here for 17 years without a residence permit and was never asked for one in that time. Then 4 years ago when I bought a car I was told by the Mixanologiko (where you register the ownership) that I needed one. Went to the local police station and they refused to issue me one, saying I don’t need it as I’m an EU citizen. When I insisted that the mixanologiko needed one to register the car in my name, they told me to register the car in my husbands name (he’s Greek)!! Eventually they succumbed and pulled out a card and form to fill in. The permit says ‘Residence Permit for a National of a Member State of the EEC’. A year later I lost my drivers licence. To get an equivalent one issued in Greece I needed to produce a residence permit.

Suddenly I was asked for a permit twice in one year, so it's wrong to say that you 'do not need' one. That is your experience so far. There may well come a time when you need one Assim. Whether or not the police can be bothered to issue you one is another story!

#6 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

Sorry I omited the name of your site Carolina.

Cheers
Ton

#7 Carolina

Carolina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:51 AM

OK Ton you are forgiven :mellow:

#8 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:23 AM

Is this person required to get to the Police and get a Residency Permit or can she stay without problems as long she wishes?

Carolina I stand corrected :blush: However suffice to say its not a major priority, it can be done when the person gets here and if they don't intend to buy a car and are not moving permanently then they probably won't need to get one.

Maybe it has been easier for us 7 years and 17 years without one as our other halves are Greek?

#9 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hi!

thank you all for your opinions. When I asked this question on the forum I was thinking at the following scenario: one stayed 4 months in Greece (so a longer period than the accepted one for tourists) and then returns in her country for a short vacation (let's say one week). When she come back in Greece she could be asked at the airport by the custom officers why she stayed for longer than 3 months in Greece (this could be checked even there are no stamps on the passport if they enter the dates of entering and exiting in Greece in the computer). Because she can't prove with a residence permit they could interdict her to enter again in Greece for the next years.
Is this scenario plausible or is more SF? :blush:

Thanks
Sorin

#10 cas

cas

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Hi
im wondering how much do u have pay for a residence permit in greece ?
thanks
cassie

#11 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

Residence permit in Greece costs nothing for EU citizens. You will need some photos and a cheap stamp from the police.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster