#1 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hi,
I'm coming out to Crete at the end of March to view some properties. I will need to open a bank account. I will be in the Heraklion area. What documents & how much money will I need to open an account?
Any advice greatly received.

Ros

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hi Ros,

When I opened my bank account they asked me for my tax number (V.F.M.) and my passport.

You can get a tax number from any local accountant, who will get it for you from day to day. Bring your passport.

I'm not sure if there is a fixed limit amount to open an account; I've heard that approx. 150 euro should be enough.

Good luck!

Dinny

#3 -Kickie-

-Kickie-

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

Hi!

I opened an account in EFG Eurobank Ergasias late September -06 and was never asked to deposit any money. It was, and still is, empty since the online banking pages are all written in Greek... :blush: If anyone can point me to a bank that provide internet banking in English I'd be most grateful. I'm just about to relocate to Crete and will need to pay a loan online.

Kicki

#4 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

Hi Kicki,
I just don't understand why you don't maintain your existing bank account in your country and use the internet anywhere in the world you are to transfer money and pay bills. Mind you I am saying this assuming that your income originates at your present country and not in Crete.

#5 -Kickie-

-Kickie-

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

Hi Ton and thank you for replying.

I'm in the middle of selling all my belongings and leave for good, so there won't be any incomes from Sweden, only expenses...Therefore I will need a secure and cheap way for transferring the mortgage a couple of times a year. I might be able to use PayPal or Moneybookers.com but an Internet bank would be easier and less expensive in the end.

Less expensive is nice. Maybe I'll use my savings to buy the tavern in Explore Crete Village I've read about... :blush:

Kickie

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

Hi Kickie,
I have just checked the web-banking system of Alpha bank and it is available in Greek and English. I have been using it for almost 2 years now and it is very convenient.
You can apply for it at any Alpha Bank office but it is better to choose the more central ones, because the employees there will be better informed and they will serve you more effectively.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 -Kickie-

-Kickie-

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

Thank you Yannis!

Alpha Bank was my second choice when opening my account. Unfortunately I was short of time and picked the first office I could find, and see where that took me :blush: I will contact them as soon as I enter Chania, straight after picking up my health book at IKA.

Your site is worth gold to me, and all others too I'm sure!

Best wishes
Kickie

#8 JohnFeg

JohnFeg

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:59 AM

Dear Yannis,
I read with interest the information you passed to Kikki. I have had the Alpha Bank recommended to me and want to open an account.
Do you know if it is possible to do that from the United Kingdom, preferrably on line?

Regards

John

#9 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

I don't think you can open a new account online. You have to visit the bank and sign all necessary documents. Then they will send the web banking password to you by post.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#10 JohnFeg

JohnFeg

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

Dear Yannis,
Many thanks for that information.
Regards
John

#11 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:43 PM

John,
I tried to open an Alpha Bank on-line account. You can't open it without already having an account number with them. This you can only obtain in person.

Ros.

#12 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

Kickie,
maybe this can be of any help to you: http://www.eurobank.gr/online/home/
It is the bank where EFG Ergasias ( http://en.wikipedia....obank_Ergasias) is affiliated with. May be you can use your existing account ?

Wim
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#13 JohnFeg

JohnFeg

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

Dear Ros & Wim,
It looks like the perfect excuse to make an unscheduled visit to Crete!

Regards

John

#14 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

Since my 1st post on this matter I have been over to Crete twice. At the end of March I found & have since purchased a renovated stone house. I popped over for a long weekend in May to buy furniture/equip the house. I still haven't found the time to open a bank account!!!
Never mind I'm back over on the 1st July for 3 weeks, so who knows? May be third time lucky!!!

Ros.

#15 Lesley

Lesley

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hi John just sent you an email. I think you will have to go to Crete to open your account, you need to provide copies of your passport and fill out some paperwork. Also you will need to visit a notary to give your lawyer power of attorney to purchase your propety on your behalf and do all the other stuff. I'm sure you'll get all the info you need, I have also sent you the emails details for the bank so you can ask them directly.
Good luch
Lesley

#16 Koutouloufari residents

Koutouloufari residents

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

Hi, we opened a Bank account with the Alpha Bank yesterday and all we needed was our passports and our AFM number.We paid some money in but they didnt ask for a minimum amount, and they were very helpful in the Hersonissos branch.