#1 katharine

katharine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hi all,
I've only been on this forum for a few days, so I hope you don't mind if I ask a question about life in Crete. I hope to retire or spend a few years there in a couple of years time and am thinking very hard about what everyday life would be like . If I stay in England, I imagine that I would do various forms of voluntary work, most likely in the heritage sector or perhaps charity shop work. Is there a traditon of voluntary work in Crete and what sort of openings are there. Would it be a good way of getting to know people?
katharine

#2 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

Welcome Katharine to this site, I like you am here in the UK but hope to eventually be in crete, I'm sure that with all the knowledge the members have, you will get a reasonable reply and I for one would be interested in the answers too.
as for getting to know people, once your there that will be the easy part, the Cretans by nature are very friendly and once friendships are made they are for life.
B) :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

A friend of mine, who was hospitalized in Crete for a certain period (he broke his leg) told me that the service in the hospitals are far from where we are used too. Patients who are unable to sit up in their beds have to get out of it because the food is served as if it is a hotel. Buffet wise but with the lack of that quality.

Even family of the patients are obliged to look after their sick members.
So I think Katharine, that there is a need for voluntaries in this field of work.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Wim,
I think your friend has given you wrong information. Patients in hospitals get their meals in trays, so they don't have to get out of their beds.
It is true though that families look after their patients, because it is Greece and this is common here and also, because the number of nurses is smaller than it should be.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:26 AM

Katharine,

not sure if this is your type of thing, but its a voluntary work for food and accommodation near Heraklion, quite interesting for some though could be quite demanding too.. The centre looks nice, I was looking into working there myself.

http://www.therapeut...gr/our team.htm

(Yanni Im hoping since they are a charity that this doesnt count as advertising..)

Best wishes with finding something and leading a happy retirement in Crete B)

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

Yannis,

No reason for me to doubt my friend. Maybe he was in the wrong hospital :D Anyhow he was advised to go to a private hospital next time.
Fact remains concerning your last line. If you have no family, being a foreigner, who helps you? He was also very repulsed about the state of the sanitary equipment.

So maybe you can give some advise about getting hospitalized in Crete/Greece, e.g. stay there or get a flight back home B)

:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."