55 replies to this topic

#21 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

Hey, Wim - what about me (and Bob)??? We are definitely planning to retire to Crete, but sadly that won't be possible for a couple of years and until I do retire can't make any definite plans, apart from doing some research (i.e going on holiday and checking out locations!)

However, if a site is found and it suits what we want - not too far from the coast, easy access (not too much of a wiggly-waggly road, please!), count us i we could make it happen.

All the best

Pam & Bob

#22 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

:) That was quite stupid from me Pam.
Thought I had checked all the names in favor of our little Explore Crete Village. Must be getting older.. :)

:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#23 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

Kalimera Wim

If my counting is right it's the magnificent 9 now.! Progress my friend, progress and if we set our minds to it the foundation is already grounded. Don't you agree? Only thing we´re missing are the statutes to go around. I´m sure we can manage that...Don´t you?

I'm inspired Wim, no doubt about it! Just say the word and I'm going aroud the island (and Holland for that matter) to find answers and investors...

Cheers
Andreas
"?? ???????? ??? ?????? ????? ????"

#24 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

Yeah right Papous,

But where does; ´m, stand for?

:)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#25 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

I don't (do not) no Wim. Guess that it has something to do with my keyboard, or my typing abilities. :)

#26 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

Yes Papous, must have something to do with the language settings because it happens when you try to type e.g: " we're ".

Your settings should be:
Standaard invoertaal; Engels (Verenigde Staten) and in geinstalleerde services moet bij Engels (VS) het toetsenbord VS internationaal zijn. It is possible that by both pressing alt-shift "par hasard", you change the language for the keyboard settings. This is a nice service to change quickly between e.g. Greek and Dutch.

:)

#27 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:12 PM

u Wim..

You're a great help.. :) Again.. :)

#28 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

If there is one thing I'm sure about than its about this development in Agia Galini

I don't understand how in "Kyries" name it is possible that Cretan architects can design such a "monstrum" towards a village that is known for its landscape orientated layout. The extension towards the river delta with hotels, bars and restaurants was already a disaster. And now this solution; (that has not even a parallel with the existing architecture) :blush: why not follow the built up area to make it look like a more natural extension.

Anyhow, thats what you get if no one cares and goes for the fast buck. God forbid that the south will become a copy of the north.

It's sad.

B)

#29 Katerina

Katerina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

Hey, this sounds as if you are really serious. What a great idea, I don't know what skills I could contribute - organising and coffee making perchance?
I have been asking around about a reasonably similar scheme. I am, and know lots of people who are, shall we say amateur artists,craft-workers, etc.etc. Many of us would love to set up some kind of co-operative, workshop, studio sort of area. However, from those of my friends who do this work for a living, the accounts answer is that it can't be done - businesses have to declare their business, pottery, painting, etc.etc and the thought of many people doing different things doesn't fit.
My greek isn't so good in this specific area. I'd love to ask around the small village co-operatives as to how it's organised but I guess villages may organise their own.
Is there anyone out there who has any experience of this, please.
Sorry if I'm diverting a bit from the basic topic, but then wouldn't it be good to have such a place in the village as a focal point of interest?

#30 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

I'm not an architect Wim, but I see what you mean, and quite the opposite of what 'explore Crete village' fans have in mind.

#31 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

Posted Image

Good news for the magnificent 10. Yannis found this beautiful little village with a great view to the south and west. Imagine.........................................................................
..................... :o

Posted Image

And this is how the coast looks like some 3 km east from the ExploreCreteVillage B)

How about it Yannis, Dinny, Pam, Santo, Mani, Birgit, Kickie, Papous, Katerina and Me....

How does it feel to be in favor of living in such a place in such a surrounding and so far away from mass tourisme. Only some locals and us and some cats and dogs...when can I start making some sketches?

#32 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:09 AM

Tell me, we're really gonna 'live the dream'? Start drawing Wim, by all means start drawing..

#33 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:59 AM

It is a beautiful area in the south of Crete, far from any kind of tourism or other development. Some of you may have guessed from the photos which area this is, but please keep this information to yourselves, as we don't want to give ideas to the construction industry.
I would like to mention though, that infrastructure is almost non-existent in this area. There is a road with gravel surface and it is a long drive from Heraklion. I have not been there recently, but I recall that it takes about 2,5 hours to get there from Heraklion.
There are no shops, no cafes or restaurants, just the beautiful nature and a tiny village nearby.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#34 Katerina

Katerina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

I'm jealous - being in the west I don't recognise and want to know!!! But then I guess it's an excuse (if I needed one) to keep exploring this island!
Anyway, thought we had people on board to open a taverna etc
I'm really good at pouring beer and washing up..........................

#35 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:35 AM

It looks absolutely beautiful!!!
I'm hoping to move over between 2010-2013 (earlier if I can!!!). I've already bought a house in a small village called Kerasia, which is next to Venerato, just off the main Heraklion-Moires road. All my village has is a kafenion with a tiny shop attached. In Venerato a 10 minute walk away I have more facilities, bank, post office, shops etc & a bus to Heraklion.
If the "explore Crete village" does come about I would be interested.

Ros.

#36 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

It looks like a wonderful place! But... is nobody living there? Could we just continue dreaming and start turning the dreams into something more tangible? I think I will take a day off and go looking for this place, I want to see it closer by! B)

I might have to go by boat though to be able to recognize the place... or maybe Yannis would be so kind as to send me furter details in PM?? :o

#37 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:55 PM

It's awfully quite on the southern front.

Would Dinny have tried to find it, yet?

Oh my God, maybe she's lost. :o

B)

#38 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:08 AM

I ask you Wim, what is the point of this idea?

Please explain?

Ray

#39 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

Haven't heard from Dinny lately.
Just hoping she has'nt gone astray while surveying the ECV area.

Am I in the right topic <_<

OH, Ray, the point is in the first thread and in some more scrolling downwards.

:P

#40 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:52 AM

Could I have a wi-fi connection so I can use my laptop in the taverna?

;)

It sounds like an amazing idea and would be wonderful if it could happen. Would you accept holiday makers? I've heard there is a market for eco-holidays in the west of Crete. If you could make the village as self-sustaining as possible, you would keep down future costs.

The view is beautiful - I really need to explore much more of Crete.

Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.