#1 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

Following Dinny's advice I start this topic about my "dream"

It started with my 2nd response in Yannis' nameday topic.

There is still a lot to explore both on Crete and on this site!

I was amazed, Yanni, when I followed your link to Rogdia and Achlada and wondered while viewing and listening, why I missed that one.

Since there are a lot of Cretan friends who are worried about the loss of Crete's identity it shouldn't be too difficult to redevelop and renovate such lovely places.

With the help of all the members of this board (600andsomuch) we could buy the place and make our selves a nice retreat by restoring its character and old splendour. We could raise a foundation (The Explore Crete Foundation) etc. etc. and me, being a renovation architect, would see my last dream come true and could finish my life and last job on my beloved Crete. Maybe I'd even be the first one thatll be buried on the renovated grave yard. :D

Dreaming on but than, what is life worth without a dream

This picture is an idea how it could look like.

B)

Attached Files

• Attached File  e07.jpg   31.9KB   201 downloads

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

Great enthusiasm about this new project! <_<

Well, where do I sign up? Counting Wim and myself we are already TWO members!!!

Have you developed some more specific plans on how to go about this, Wim?

#3 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

Exactly, Dinny - come on Wim, any more research? We would need a kafenion and taverna, though so any volunteers for setting up those?

Pam & Bob

#4 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

I'm definately in for this, I'd be happy to tend any gardens and do general maintenance to the properties within the village.
<_< :D

Wim if you have the time it would be interesting to see if we could do this sort of project, after all there are many small villages that have been deserted capable of being restored, and I believe amongst us that it would be a multi-cultural community with the basis of retaining Cretan traditions.

Ok Wim it's in my head now, lets see if we can move this project forward and assess the financial liability.
:) :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#5 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

and taverna

Surely that should read taverna's

<_<
Ian

#6 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

You would only need 1 Mani to start with, need to get the village inhabited first, then when it starts to expand we could allow additional taverna's and Kafenion's. <_<

I will e-mail a cretan contact to see how we would approach the possibility of purchasing a deserted village and what pitfalls we may have.
:D :)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#7 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

The following is a reply to my e-mail I sent earlier to my contact in Crete:

"Dear Wayne,

The biggest problem is that a lot of the owners of these deserted villages are either dead or there were no wills, I have often looked longingly at these villages crying out to be refurbished and brought back to life, but it is quite a task and will require a lot of patience and time. Certainly our offices out in Crete will be glad to help in any way should you think of taking it further. I have heard that the Greek government is thinking of making some law that if those properties are not claimed after a certain time then they lose the family ownership but a lawyer would be able to help more on this, we can certainly help with a list of names of good English speaking lawyers.

I can think of one on the North East coast where we have one house for sale and no doubt could chase up the rest - it is completely deserted except for one old lady and a fantastic taverna.

I also know of an EU grant which was made for the regeneration of an old stone village in south crete, so it is certainly not impossible.

Best regards, Oonagh "

Wim, your views would be appreciated and of course any others that would like to be involved
<_< :D
Santo

#8 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

The contract for the rent of my house is expiring September 2008 - can I count on moving in by then? :rolleyes:

Will bring my dog, Bella, and about 6....?... cats, all 'done' and vaccinated.

(We'll have a good laugh in 2012 sitting in one of the local tavernas of the ExploreCrete Village and remembering how nobody really thought it would be possible. But we'll show them, won't we? :blink: )

Won't we?

#9 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

Well I'm certainly interested Dinny so that makes two of us.............

Anyone else interested in joining us
:blush: B)
Santo

#10 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

A taverna? Great! Then we have a place to meet when we are not exploring.

Count me in.
:blush:
Birgit

#11 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

[quote]We'll have a good laugh in 2012 sitting in one of the local tavernas of the ExploreCrete Village

We can all join you that year, just to get away from the chaos that the Olympics/Government is causing over here!!!

I'll start looking for my plot now.
Ian

#12 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

I see we have no problem with getting suitable inhabitants however is there anyone that would be prepared to work with me restoring these buildings :blush: B)
Santo

#13 -Kickie-

-Kickie-

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

...however is there anyone that would be prepared to work with me restoring these buildings...

Anytime Santo, anytime!

#14 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

I have two weeks in June coming up!!
Ian

#15 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:01 AM

I admire your eagerness Mani (on a par with mine) but the reality of buying the Village (assuming there's one we all like) and finalising the deal in the next 3 months would, in Cretan terms, be like going from 0-100 in 1.9 seconds :blush: it ain't going to happen.

I don't mind looking into the cost side and see if enough members want to buy their share of the community, never know it might work out reasonable cheap.
B) B)
Santo

#16 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:23 AM

Been following it all from a distance due to a lack of time and also to observe the reactions.

I agree with you Santo that finding the right place and the legal ground for the village will take some time considering the work it takes.
Dinny's 2008 is not manageable. At least not for me since that is the year I will be pensioned and can start full time restoration, if/when (part of) an old village has been obtained by the "trust"?.

Luckily I have two right hands ( B) ) so together with Santos we'll manage to get the work done within say 5 years, since the others are sitting in the taverna sipping their tsipouros and arguing whether the roof should have a slope or just be flat :D

Up till now I found out that buying a plot of land in the south-east-west offers the best possibilities since the Cretans are selling their chicken sheds and dovecots for prices that makes you laugh your heart out. B)
Plots of land sell for an average of 17 E's the m2. Depending on the plots size there is a sort of fixed developable area.
Restoration prices are about the same as building new and seem to be between 750 - 1500 E m2. They say "all in" but that has to be checked out and is inclusive siesta's and argument's.

In the meantime I have been working on my "thing" and I must say I have designed an affordable little house that is partly "antique" and partly 2007. It is based on the principles of keeping the sun (heat out) and the possibilities to "open" it all when sun has set.Solar panels are integrated in the roof and in winter time 2 woodstoves will keep it warm and cosy. Orientation is NO - SW because I love sunsets and partly sunrises. B)

[email protected](k) B)

Attached Files

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#17 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

Think we can close this thread as well :wub:

But there is news: Dinny is probably going to move to Agia Galini. Now that is a place I know well since I lived their for a while. It is used to foreigners in the summer and still has a rustic after season and winter period. I'm sure Dinny will find there what she didn't in Pitsi..

So I think I'll move back to it in time and start a village in a village with Dinny B)

B)

#18 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

Have to agree with you Wim :huh: not enough of us interested sadly.

Will have to just start with my own renovation and expand from there (hopefully).
Santo

#19 Papous

Papous

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:38 AM

Why not try and blow some new air into this topic? More than 700 members nowadays. Who knows. I for one am a big fan of this idea..
Andreas
"?? ???????? ??? ?????? ????? ????"

#20 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

Yasou Andreas,

I too, think it's still a nice idea. But, I'm afraid most of the members you mention are dormant so you won't read much response from them. The ones that remain are; Santos, Birgit, Manis, Kickie, Dinny, You and Me. Yes right, the magnificent seven :)

Now that crowd (if you consider that more than 2 is one) could/would make a nice little community to mix with local inhabitants (which I think is a must to prevent becoming a sort of incest group :D ) don't you agree?

I was asked to do some research, which I did, and I wondered in one of my replies in what kind of legal structure we could accommodate it. A foundation is IMO the best structure and I wonder if there is any legal expertise within our little foundation that can be of help .

And then there is the main issue about financing. We could of course think about our own time sharing construction etc, have it financed by a local bank, possibilities about subvention (restoring an old village into its original state, etc etc.

And last but not least: where?. My preference is the south from east to west which means the line beneath the Lefka Ori, Psiloritis and Lassithiothika.

Be inspired and may the force be with you while searching for a possible area while being on holiday.
(I remember a abandoned village on the way to Spili but I did not mark it, stupidly)

:)