Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

My God Ton,

When do the owls return to Athens?

"Of most interest was the role of the owl in ancient Greece. In Athens, that citadel of scholarly inquiry and the cradle of democracy, this intriguing bird earned the scientific name Athene Noctua - the Goddess Athena, Goddess of Wisdom. For Athenians, the owl became the city's mascot; and part of their monetary system."

:rolleyes:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#82 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

Owls have gone forever I am afraid and they will never return. Their place was taken by sharks who create industrial pollution and stack up their money in Lichnestein to avoid taxation.

#83 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Not only the owls Ton,

Also Christa, who started this topic on august 29 in 2004, seems to have left. Not Athens but it could be Crete and the forum, no?

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#84 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

Please find the latest on the Timbaki port on the site:

www.no-container-port-in-timbaki.net/facts_en.php

Make your own conclusions and lough or cry B) :D :)

#85 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Ton, for keeping us informed about the never ending disaster called "Container Harbour"

Btw, next time wrap your link in the name of the site code than we don't need to copy paste the link.

Cheers mate,

:)

#86 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

:lol: GOOOOOOOOD NEWS BOYS and GIRLS -TIME to open a bottle of good wine perhaps!!!!!! :D

www.tolmi .gr is reporting (see article below in Greek) that the port in the South of Crete is not anymore in the planning of the Greek Ministry of Merchant. Apparently the Ministry is focusing in the ports of Pireaus and Thessaloniki for container shipments since these are the ports the investors are interested in.

Anyone who is against the port and Crete lover should stay however vigillant until the container port issue is totally gone and for any other future damaging the environment industrial projects planning in South Crete and especially close to the Natura classified by the EU areas.

Cheers
Ton :)

The article in Greek
Στις αθάνατες ελληνικές καλένδες κατέληξε το περίφημο έργο του λιμανιού στα νότια παράλια της Κρήτης μετά την αντικατάσταση του Μανόλη Κεφαλογιάννη στο υπουργείο Εμπορικής Ναυτιλίας. Χθες ο γενικός γραμματέας Λιμενικής Πολιτικής του ΥΕΝ από το Ηράκλειο ξεκαθάρισε πως το λιμάνι που σχεδιαζόταν στο Τυμπάκι δεν είναι μέσα στους στόχους του υπουργείου Εμπορικής Ναυτιλίας. Ουσιαστικά δηλαδή το περίφημο έργο που θα άλλαζε τα δεδομένα στο νότο του νησιού και τόσα πολλά είχαν ειπωθεί για αυτό… βούλιαξε στα νερά του Λιβυκού Πελάγους. Το έργο το οποίο προσπαθούσε με κάθε τρόπο να προωθήσει ο πρώην υπουργός Εμπορικής Ναυτιλίας Μανόλης Κεφαλογιάννης έμεινε ένα όραμα και μόνο, καθώς το ενδιαφέρον των μεγάλων εταιριών έχει περιοριστεί στα λιμάνια της Θεσσαλονίκης και του Πειραιά τα οποία η κυβέρνηση αποφάσισε να παραχωρήσει σε ιδιώτες. Ο κ. Γιώργος Βλάχος χθες από το Ηράκλειο όπου βρέθηκε για τη Γενική Συνέλευση του Οργανισμού Λιμένος Ηρακλείου δήλωσε πως το συγκεκριμένο έργο δεν είναι μέσα στους άμεσους στόχους του υπουργείου Εμπορικής Ναυτιλίας, αν και όπως είναι γνωστό λίγο πριν από τις εκλογές του περασμένου Σεπτέμβρη ο ΟΛΗ έσπευσε να προχωρήσει στη διακήρυξη διεθνούς διαγωνισμού για τη δημιουργία του λιμανιού με τη μορφή της σύμβασης παραχώρησης. Μια διακήρυξη που ουσιαστικά έγινε για συγκεκριμένους λόγους, από ό,τι φαίνεται τουλάχιστον από τις δηλώσεις του γενικού γραμματέα του ΥΕΝ.

«Αυτή τη στιγμή οι παραχωρήσεις των δύο μεγάλων λιμένων σε Πειραιά και Θεσσαλονίκη είναι στο επίκεντρο του υπουργείου, καθώς όπως είναι ήδη γνωστό είναι σε εξέλιξη οι σχετικοί διαγωνισμοί. Αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι ο στόχος μας το Τυμπάκι» δήλωσε ο Γιώργος Βλάχος χθες όταν ρωτήθηκε σχετικά για το συγκεκριμένο έργο. Βέβαια ο γενικός γραμματέας προσπάθησε να χρυσώσει το χάπι, λέγοντας πως φαίνεται η περιοχή να προσφέρεται για τη δημιουργία λιμανιού για εμπορευματοκιβώτια και πως υπήρξε κάποιο ενδιαφέρον από επενδυτές στο παρελθόν. Αναφερόμενος όμως στο κόστος, ο Γιώργος Βλάχος είπε χαρακτηριστικά πως δεν πρόκειται να επιβαρύνει τον Έλληνα φορολογούμενο «εφόσον επιλεγεί το έργο να γίνει», τονίζοντας με νόημα τη λέξη «εφόσον». Οι αναφορές αυτές του γενικού γραμματέα του ΥΕΝ προκάλεσαν μία «παγωμάρα» χθες στα στελέχη του Οργανισμού Λιμένος που προσπάθησαν με κάθε τρόπο να κλείσουν την κουβέντα για το συγκεκριμένο θέμα. Ζημιές Στη χθεσινή Γενική Συνέλευση των μετόχων του ΟΛΗ εγκρίθηκαν τα οικονομικά αποτελέσματα για το έτος 2007, που σύμφωνα με τον κ. Βλάχο ήταν ιδιαίτερα ενθαρρυντικά παρά το γεγονός πως καταγράφηκαν ζημιές. Σύμφωνα με τα όσα δήλωσε ο γενικός γραμματέας του υπουργείου Εμπορικής Ναυτιλίας, το 2007 ο κύκλος εργασιών αυξήθηκε κατά 44% σε σχέση με το 2006, όμως η αύξηση των δαπανών για τη μισθοδοσία των υπαλλήλων οδήγησε στο να καταγραφούν ζημιές. Πάντως ο ίδιος εκτίμησε πως το τρέχον έτος θα υπάρξουν κέρδη για τον Οργανισμό.

Ημερομηνία Έκδοσης: 24/5/2008

#87 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

That article will take me a whole week to translate Ton :lol:

This article in the "Bridge" by George Vlachos (Γιώργος Βλάχος) is quite interesting. Almost at the end underneath the heading "The Main Projects" it seems to confirm, amongst others, a container port in Piraeus.

The Bridge and this time not one to far...

:D

#88 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Wim for the article. In fact it confirms the story from the Tolmi site. Whatever.... the fact is that the container project port in Tymbaki will not be materialized anytime soon as it has not made it to any of the Greek Ministry's planning of future port projects. It will stay as Tolmi describes in the article above an Orama of Kefalogiannis which sunk in the waters of the Lybian sea.

I think I will have a good red wine tonight along with some good olives from Messara. Anyone will join me? :lol:

Cheers

#89 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

Sadly Greece has missed the boat - again. I don't just mean the potential port in Crete, but the existing ports. These could have taken more ships and created more employment prospects in the ports and the support businesses around the area. We have the lowest wages in Europe and the highest cost of living. Feta cheese is made in Greece, and the most expensive place to buy it is Greece. The economy and its growth is stiffled by archaic systems of price protection and state controlling prices. We are constantly held to hostage, as a nation, by the minority. The port strikes have demostrated to potential customers that it would be better to look outside Greece and ship thier stuff there. Whilst on the outside this is probably a good thing for the Greek enviroment, attitudes and policies need to changes so that we can grow our tourism to replace the lost economic growth the ports would of helped substain.

The markets in Greece, must be freed from state intervention. Let the haulage companies set their own prices and they will become more efficient. This one example, from over 70 state controlled prices, would increase employment by 2-4 percent and productivity by 1.5-2.5 percent according to a recent report by the Foundation for Economic and Industrial Research (IOBE) as well as haulage rates dropping by 1.5-2.5 percent annually.

Enjoy the red wine Ton. :lol:

#90 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

The container port in Crete would not have brought any prosperity for the local people at all, as you could have read in several threads of Ton, Assim. However, as you have read in the article "Bridge" (the blue coloured text) Mr Vlakos has developed an outstanding plan for the Greek ports and ship transport facilities.

The challenges and opportunities of the new environment require a new vision for future transport policy in Greece and our port policy has been formed taking these factors into consideration. The Greek Port Policy aims to facilitate transport in a way that economic activities are promoted, as well as balanced national and regional development achieved. For this reason, the establishment of an integrated, effective and reliable framework for the operation of the ports is a vital necessity.

As for the rest, I'm not into politics neither on this board. :lol:

:D

#91 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

its all about politics :lol:

#92 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

Well said Wim. Additionally I would like to add that Asim's economic scenario does not work in Greece. This has recently been demonstrated by the high prices in Greece set and controled by the few large private companies (Cartels) who set/fix prices among them to maximize profits at the expense of the Greek consumer. The Government is unable to control the prices because of the existing legislation which protects the private companies even when they are caught to fix prices. According to the existing legislation they are obliged to pay only 20% of the fine imposed on them (when they are caught on fixing prices) and the 80% of the fine they pay only if the courts force them to pay and that is after several years of trials. The government is unable to do anything to protect the consumer like in other EU states.
Additionally a recent survey of the Athens Technical University found that 8 out of 10 Gas/Petrol stations cheat the consumers by a smart chip properly positioned in the electronics of the pumps. The survey was made on petrol stations allover in Greece. Do you think that your car is consuming a lot of gas? This is the reason folks. I just returned to Switzerland from Greece. My car was averaging 15 liters for 100 km in Greece and in Switzerland 12 for the same style of driving. Mind you I noticed the same consumption in Italy as in Greece. I support privitization only if there are strong Government regulations and legislation along with frequent government uncorupted checks to protect the citizens. But how can you trust the government when last week it was revealed that 160 million euros collected last year by private citizens in Greece and from abroad aimed to help the victims of the fires somehow went to balance a black hole of the Government's financial mess.

Enjoy :lol:

#93 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hi all,
I have just been released from "jail" - consisting in a 30,000 words superurgent translation delivered today - and I am very happy to find all these interesting news now that I finally can spend a few moments on ExploreCrete. As seem to be usual by now, I also noticed that I once again managed to miss seeing Ton & Family for a cup of coffee even though they live just a few hundred meters away! Arrrggghhh! Sorry Ton! :lol:

Small comments on your info: When my internet bank inserted a notice about donations to the victims of the fires last year ("just click here and donate") I did not do it. I felt bad about it, but having lived in Italy for many years I know that those kind of donations just seems to disappear and it have made me very disappointed so many times where I had actually donated to victims from earthquakes, floods and god know what else. So this time I did not do it. I am sorry for the people who showed such good will in donating 160 million Euros for the victims of the fires... and even more sorry for the victims who never received the aid!

Good to know that the container harbour plans are now ashes - hopefully no silly Phoenix bird will gather them to make a come-back!

The newest gossip from the Timbaki area is that plans are made to build a huge "tuna plant" fencing an area with nets from Kokkinos Pirgos to Paximadia... I have checked the date: It is not 1st of April. Checking with people around some just says "rubbish" and others that it is hush until it is a "fait accompli" in order not to have environmental people starting protests and so on... OK guys, you normally read and keep up with the news... have your heard anything about this?

All the best to everybody from Dinny who is finally enjoying half a day OFFFFF! :D

#94 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

Sorry to have you missed Dinny perhaps in June sometime for coffee ok?

Yes something is going with a fishing project just outside Aghia Galini (see attached picture from 2 days ago).Attached File  Kokkinos_Pirgos_1.jpg   148.44KB   17 downloads

#95 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

And what am I supposed to deduct from this picture?
Sorry, I am not much into fishing... unless it is just about a nice little boat and keeping a stick with a little worm on a hook... hoping no fish will want to eat my worm because actually I am just there for the quiet day on the sea! :lol:

#96 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Wim many thanks for the "bridge"informative site article. Very informative and well written article. I forwarded it to other against the port members.

Cheers
Ton :)

#97 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:24 PM

"The challenges and opportunities of the new environment require a new vision for future transport policy in Greece and our port policy has been formed taking these factors into consideration. The Greek Port Policy aims to facilitate transport in a way that economic activities are promoted, as well as balanced national and regional development achieved. For this reason, the establishment of an integrated, effective and reliable framework for the operation of the ports is a vital necessity."

Wim,

Please translate the quote you gave!

English is my mother tongue, I have passed exams in it, but to me your quote is a meaningless collection of words. Dare I say it is typical of modern "political speak". A lot of words which mean nothing!

Sure, it says "a new vision is required", but gives no indication of what that vision is.

"A reliable framework is a vital necessity". A statement of the obvious but with no suggestion of how they will set this up.

What is the "port policy" which it says has been formed?

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#98 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Quite John,

If you'd read my posting of May 26 2008, 07:43 posting#87, than you would have found a blue text "The Bridge and this time not one to far..." the last part referring to Montgomery's Arnhem disaster.
As you know, as an experienced forum user, blue texts are hot links. They take you to places you've never dreamt of and in this case to the full article I was partly quoting in posting #90.

Hope this will help you out. If not I can always translate it for you into German, French and Dutch. The last one being my mother tongue ;)

(Am still working on Chinese and Greek :) )

:P

#99 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

Stick to the facts guys and stop fueling more hot gas!!! The politicians got the message from the Chinese and European Container Operators that they don't want to invest in anyother locations in Greece except Pireaus and Thessaloniki. Neither the Government nor the investors give a sh....t about turtles Natura or citizens who would see their properties and businesses depreciate. The politicians care for votes and whatever these votes bring with, and the investors care for money. So everybody taylors his/her speech to reflect what his/her boss wants and ultimately reflect what the big guys want. I merely refered to the article as informative and as well written because it implied that the government got the ivestors message and have no immediate planning to do anything with containers in Timbaki. Maybe the issue of the container port will resurface after few years again? who knows maybe yes maybe not.

Kirie eleison

#100 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

However having said the above according to a Patris article published yesterday Mr. Kefalogiannis is returning to Messara this time as a regular citizen and not as the minister in an effort to revive the interest of the local authorities to request bids from investors for the container port. Iam wandering what motivates Mr. Kefalogiannis to do such a thing? Mh!! Iam wandering!!!