9 replies to this topic

#1 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

Before Wim takes me to task,--I know this isnt really in the right forum,but as its not Cretan,I was so moved by it,I decided to post it here as I think something like this is so moving,that you can enjoy it ,no matter what nationallity you may be.
How true,that music,like laughter,crosses all bounderies!

Click the link,turn speakers on,close your eyes,----and enjoy!

The saddest part,is that the lady died in her early thirties. SteveB

#2 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:49 PM

That was beautiful Steve. What a fantastic voice. Thanks for the link

#3 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

I have to say that I have been a great fan of Eva Cassidy for many years. I have her CDs in the car and often as I drive through Crete, up in the mountains, it is with her music playing.

She died in her early thirties of melanoma, a deadly disease, but she sings on and what she is sings has that extraordinary quality of voice and tone.

One of my favourite songs is 'Fields of Gold' by Sting but there are so many others. This was a very real talent that we hear of so little these days, sadly.

Ray

#4 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

I agree, I have had her CD since it was first released in 2000 and listening to it from time to time and still I never tire of her sound.
<_< :P
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#5 Mapia

Mapia

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

Thank you Steve. Fields of Gold brought tears to my eye's. Here in the USA I haven't heard her, where was she from?

Mary

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

Eva Cassidy's progress in Europe originated in England.

She recorded her first album " Live at Blues Alley" in 1996 and on November the second she died of metastatic melanoma after which she was discovered by the community at large. Her albums "The other Side, Live at Blues Alley and the posthumously-issued Eva by Heart were sold by the thousands in the Washington area.
It launched a cult that has since spread throughout the country and beyond.

She was painfully insecure and was to shy to look her audience in the eyes. Mick Fleetwood would sat in with his drums whenever she played in his club "Fleetwood's" in Alexandria. Black people who heard her sing would say " damn can she sing" The recording of Song Bird, a ballad of an all healing love was written by Fleetwoods partner Christine McVie. And Sting? I've heard he stopped singing Field of Gold after he heard her interpretation.

In retrospective though, her records seem full of premonitions: the impassioned cry of, I'm getting ready, her bold greeting of the Holy Ghost a-looking for me in the traditional "Wade in the Water" disclosed that she had no fear of death knowing that heir's was close by.

So, my dear Maria, this is a sad way to learn about one of your famous countryman.

Wim <_<

Attached Files

• Attached File  Eva.jpg   105.25KB   46 downloads

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 Mapia

Mapia

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:13 AM

I was looking to order her CD to listen to during my art class, and I found her artwork. Her drawings and paintings are amazing. I guess it's true, only the good die young.

Mary

#8 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

So glad you all enjoyed it.
That lady could break your heart!
Maria,you can find all about Eva here:http://evacassidy.org/eva/
SteveB

#9 Mapia

Mapia

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

Steve, did you take a look at her artwork on this sitewww.evacassidy.com/gallery.htm (in archives)

#10 Hooly

Hooly

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that the first person on UK radio to promote Eva Cassidy & play her recordings regularly was that doyen of modern music & culture Terry Wogan, probably about 6 or 7 years ago.

I too have most of her recordings with my favourite being the old Cyndi Lauper track "Time After Time". Wonderful voice.