#1 ejo

ejo

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hi, B)

I have been following explorecrete for years but now i thought it was about time to register. Iam a scandinavian married to a cretan and we have a son three and a half years old. Have been travelling much to crete since 1997 to visit his family and spend some holiday time there. We also lived there most of 2000 working in the tourist business. We were about to move to crete last may, rented a flat etc. But then we became pregnant and returned to my country for the wintertime and the health system. We did get married and baptised our son before leaving crete, a very special occassion. Longing much back to crete now, and we might go back already in february and have the baby in crete instead. my due date is 22nd March. However this is also a bit scary, eventhough i know babies are born everyday all over the world. I have a fair knowledge of greek and a small network of friends foreign and greeks. I would really like to meet and chat with people in the same situation as me. Preferably with children at the same age. We are living between Heraklion and Hersonissoss. Hoping for many replies. :rolleyes:

#2 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:19 PM

Hello Ejo,

welcome amongst explorecretans, nice to meet you :blush:

Congratulations to all these wonderfull life events, baptism of your first boy and a pregnancy with the other one. I do not really know anything about giving birth in Crete, but hopefully you will find out from others.. I wonder if our Dinny's lovely daughter would be someone to chat to..?

Best wishes with your decisions and birth...

Hana

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

Hello Ejo, welcome to the site B)

My daughter Linda has had both her children here in Crete and I must say they have both turned out very well! :blush: My grandaughter Aria was born in a private clinic in Heraklion, all luxury, and my grandson Fani was born in the ordinary hospital in Heraklion. According to Linda there was no difference when comparing professionalism of doctors and nurses, which I guess is the most important part, for the money spent on the private clinic she got a little more privacy and maybe more 'fancy' surroundings. She felt perfectly well cared of in the public hospital though.

Best wishes for the upcoming event and for a future life in Crete! B)

#4 megandjim

megandjim

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hi, I had both my babies!!!!!!(now 17 & 20) in Ag Nik hospital in Crete, with no problems at all. I remember moaning about the system etc then, but now I look back it was OK!!!!

Good luck with the birth. We are moving to Koutouloufari in Feb!!!

Regards
Meg

#5 ejo

ejo

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:59 PM

Hi,

Thank you all for replies, they are encouraging. I am Norwegian and I trust the public health system here, and also my experience the times we had to take our son to the emergency at the hospital in iraklio has been good. That's why i am thinking to have the baby in a public hospital eventhough i know the privacy is not a priority. With my first son the public hospital here provided familyrooms just for us. We also have a private insurance for the first couple of months if it should be needed. But i basically miss my home, and to be able to prepare a bit before the baby arrives. I also really like to make a bigger network in crete and eventhough i am married to a greek, i can never live in a total greek society. The foreign friends I already have in crete work all through the tourist season, so i really like to make new friends and especially others with children ( I am a grown-up mum), though thats not the main issue. One of my best friends lives in koutoloufari and is from wales.

Hope to hear more from you. Where u live in crete and also maybe what you are doing there?

ejo :blush: