13 replies to this topic

#1 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

I had to go to Heraklion today, and my friend Christine joined me on the ride, since we both wanted to go to Carrefour and Makro on the way back. Big surprise: Carrefour was closed - and so was Makro! I wonder if Nikolaus is the patron of Heraklion and this is why these big shops were closed? Here in the South everything is open as usual...

On the way back when passing Venerato I remembered our local (Italian) friend Augusto had told me, that you could get some very good wine in Venerato. We drove back and forth and asked everybody about "Kantina", "Krassi" etc. but nobody seemed to know. Finally, we ended in Dafnes nearby, having seen a sign indicating a 'winery' there and also here there was no sign of anything remotely similar to a winery. Well, we never give up so looking through the small and very dirty windows to some sort of magazine near the platia we managed to see that there were a lot of bottles inside. So we found the mother of the owner who kindly called her son on the telephone to tell him that he had customers. When inside the magazine we noticed several diplomas on the wall. Amazing, a greek winery had won the first price for best wine IN ITALY!! So, just for trying, we bought 10 litres of red and 10 litres of white from Mr. Douloufakis and we are looking forward to testing it in the near future to see whether it's worth coming back for more. The price was very decent: approx. 1,20 Euro for the red and a little under 1 euro for the wine - per litre. I will keep you posted on this very important issue! B)

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

If it is a holiday they must have more than their fair share in Heraklion as I visited there on 11th November and everything was shut up - Yannis is bound to know.

As regards to the very serious topic of wine we hope the taste was worth your efforts - just imagine how surprised he will be when his customer base shoots up as forum members readers add his wine to their shopping list!! I hope you told him you had influence over so many people when negotiating the price! B)
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

I have no idea why the big supermarkets in Heraklion were closed. It is not a holiday in Greece and the patron saint of Heraklion is Agios Minas on November 11.
I have tasted the Douloufakis wines and some of them are very good. The son of the Douloufakis family has studied oenology in Italy. Last February there was an article in Crete Gazette about a wine tasting night with Douloufakis wines in Heraklion: http://www.cretegaze...ine-tasting.php
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:32 PM

Come on Dinny open a red one and tell us if it's a star or cooking wine.

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:35 AM

Or, bound to become a vinegar.

Nothing wrong with a good vinegar though B) a good cook needs one.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

So if 11th November is the patron saint of Heraklion that explains it at least why Yvonne found everything closed. Mystery then why it was shut down yesterday... the Crete Gazette reporter must find out! B)

Ton, a moment of patience and I will let you know about the wine. It's a bit too early in the day to start drinking wine! Anyway, the wine we chose was according to Mr. Douloufakis - actually the guy pictured in the article in the Crete Gazette - "a good everyday wine" and it is sold in carton boxes with 10 or 20 litres. Compared to the local wine down here which they sell in used plastic water bottles for 2 euro a litre it simply cannot be worse! B)

#7 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

Not like you to be slow opening up some wine Dinny B) you'd normally be on your second lot by now B) B) .

C'mon let us know we're all waiting.
:o B)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

Dinny,
the mystery of the closed supermarkets has been solved. They are in the area of Gazi, which is a different town than Heraklion and their patron saint is Saint Nikolaos, so on December 6 everything was closed in that area.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#9 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:09 AM

Thank you, Yannis! I was afraid that if we decided to come back next week it would still be closed for some obscure reason, so it's very reassuring to know it was only because of a holiday. The Crete Gazette never gives up when digging into mysteries, right? :blush:

#10 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

Kalimera to everybody!
Im at work even if is Holiday for Italy.
Is it sunny in Pitsidia, Dinny?
Here is foggy unfortunately.

#11 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

Yes Attika, it has been a sunny day, some 26 degrees in the sun... hard to get into a Christmas spirit here! :blush:

#12 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:15 PM

Actually Din, it's quite simple. Those closed shops.

It was my birthday..

:wacko:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#13 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:15 PM

So, just to keep you updated on the VERY important wine question: Today we went back to buy some more wine from Mr. Douloufakis in Dapnes. Compared to whatever local wine you can buy here it is totally worth it, both red and white are smooth and well-tasting. The red wine can't keep the pace though with a nice piece of Danablu (or Gongorzola or Roquefort, whatever you prefer), there it simply "dies", but still it's an extremely nice "everyday wine". Red is Euro 12.26 per 10 litres, white is 11.07, it's totally worth the price.

I have stored so I'm safe till next year (ehm, something around 2nd of January!), then we'll just make another trip to Dapnes.

Makro was open today, but although it has EVERYTHING it is a disappointment as far as prices are concerned. No need to drive all the way to Heraklion unless you really need that special thing you can't find elsewhere (Everything in liquours, but no Calvados though!). Prices are exactly the same as in the local Marinopolos. Except for meat, you will find some good offers there.

Carrefour was more exiting, mainly because it had stuff you wouldn't find elsewhere. Great cheese department, makes you sick to have to make a selection since you can't buy them all! Found Red cabbish for the Christmas dinner (a MUST with a Danish pork roast!), a lot of different mustards, also my favourite. But NO bernaise sauce... sigh sigh... and, of course, no "SILD" (Danish for marinated herings), would have to go to IKEA in Athens for that, but I will probably have to survive this Christmas without it.

Consider yourself updated! :-)

#14 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

So by now you have to revisit Daphnes again Dinny.

I envy you B)

:blush: