21 replies to this topic

#1 Piotr

Piotr

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hallo everybody:D I am new user on this form. I'm from Poland. Two yeas ago I visit first time on Crete from this time I'm love this splendid place B)

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:13 PM

Hi Piotr B) You have definitely found the right place on earth to love! Welcome aboard!

#3 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

B) Hi Piotr,welcome to the best Crete web site!
This site is mainly made up of people who have a much deeper love and knowledge than the average holiday maker who just wants 2 weeks in the sun.
As you seem to be yet another who has fallen under Crete's spell,Im sure you will soon feel at home here!
So again,welcome-- and enjoy! Steve.B

#4 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

Yassas Piotr and a very big welcome.

B) :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#5 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

Yia sou Piotr!
Im new also. You are in the right place!!!
Its a fantastic website with fantastic people!!!

#6 Suzanne

Suzanne

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

Hi Piotr
I am new to the forum too, I have found lots of useful information. I also love my time i have spent in Crete over the last 5 years and waiting patiently to go back as soon as the winter is over. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Suzanne B)

#7 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:00 AM

Where have you visited in Crete? What did you do there? B)

#8 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

Piotr, maybe you can do a blog of your last visit and tell us of the things you saw, places you went and what was good or bad and are you returning to Crete !!!!

B) B)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#9 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:29 AM

Hello Piotr, welcome here, this is the second best place to be for Crete lovers after Crete:) I am from the Czech Republic - Crete grabs people from all over the worlds I think:) There were people from US and Australia on this forum, Russian, Hungarian, of course German, Dutch, Italian (whatever happened to that chatty guy a year ago, what was his name..), from Belgium - which other nationalities do we have here? oopps I forgot UK:) Sorry - I take it as a matter of course (I live there).... Anyway, one of my favourite places is Matala and the surrounding area, also Paleochora in SW Crete. And yours? I always enjoy hearing how much people love Crete:)

Hana

By the way...hello Emily B) Its very nice to meet you in person. We are all coming out of the hiding, we must be jelling as a bunch then:) Thats a nice picture of you - you remind me of somebody I know.

#10 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

And welcome, Suzanne and Attika too, on the forum!! Sorry - I only pop in from time to time, so its lovely to discover all the new people here. I think its especially lovely when Greek people join in here, it only feels right!

#11 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:44 AM

Kalimera to all of you!!!
I welcome too al the new people in the forum, and as I said yesterday is the right place to be.
Its very nice to have to do with people who loves Greece and especially Crete.

Today is my onomastic !!!!
Yes!! My name is Nikoletta!!!

#12 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

Dear Nikoletta,
I wish you a Happy Nameday with your friends and family.

I have a small request too: please avoid using one or two Greek words inside your English posts or add the english meaning of the Greek word in brackets. This is a forum for non-greek speaking people and the use of Greek words may cause a lot of confusion.
As you have understood, Ι refer to the use of the word "onomastic" in your message. What you wanted to say is that today you have your "onomastiki eorti" = nameday in Greek. However, the word "onomastic" has a different meaning in the English language.

According to Wikipedia:
"Onomastics or onomatology is the study of proper names of all kinds and the origins of names. The word is derived from the Greek word ονομα (onoma), meaning name. Toponymy or toponomastics, the study of place names, is one of the principal branches of onomastics. Anthroponomastics is the study of personal names."
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#13 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

Ok! Sorry!
I ll consult my dictionary first!

#14 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hi Attika - a late Xronia pola (many happy returns) for your onomastiki eorti (nameday).... it's almost more confusing when having to insert the translation in brackets afterwards!! B) Com'on Yannis, were all half Greek here, aren't we?

#15 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

Thank you,thank you Dinny!
Efharisto polli!!!

#16 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hi I'm new to this forum too, should have introduced myself earlier - please accept apologies!. Did do a few posts asking for help etc a few weeks back. We've bought a lovely place in Kokkino Chorio and complete just after christmas this year. My brother lives in the area too and we just fell in love with the peace, relaxation, people.... everything. (PS always have loved the food). I love the forum - it has been really helpful and I browse two or three times a week. I look forward to chatting to you all.

#17 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hello Nikoletta,

happy belated nameday:) - yes, that makes sense - on the 6th of December we have a holiday of St. Nicholaus in my country. - he is a kind of a preview of Santa Claus:) Hope you had a lovely celebration, do you get presents, too? We also celebrate namedays in Czech Republic but since I moved to the UK, where they don't, I only get presies on birthdays and Xmasses :blush:

Hello Laid Back Lil, welcome on the forum too, nice to hear from you. Congratulations to having your own nest on Kriti! Where is Kokkino Chorio? You must come and join us on a Tuesday night (chat). Are you moving to Crete permanently or is it a part time residence?

#18 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hana, I didnt celebrate my nameday because in Italy they dont use to do it so no presents.
I went by myself shopping that day. But I had many calls from my relatives in Greece (Crete).
In our family we are many with the name of Nikos and Nikoletta because of my grandfather.
The other name very common to our family is Maria.
When we want to specify witch Maria or witch Nikos we say ...the son or the daughter of Vassilis e.t.c.

#19 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

....I see, just found Kokkino Chorio. Its on the corner like peninsula 30km west of Chania, and " famous for it's part in the filming of Zorba The Greek; nearly all the village participated. Anthony Quinn is still talked about in the village kafenions!!"

Sounds and looks like a nice place from what I can see on the web.

Nikoletta, I missed the fact that you live in Italy, sorry! How long have you lived there for, do you come back to Crete? Im glad that all your family was in touch with you on your special day:)

#20 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hi Hana
Yes it's beautiful. We overlook Souda Bay in all it's splendour. I chose the area because of it's beauty and it's peacefulness. At 4 pm you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet. We're back out in February without the children and then shortly afterwards with them. First thing on my list out there is to invite my friend from Chania and her husband to dinner as I promised her on our last visit. Counting the days now...