• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

I always enjoy reading Crete Gazette; even the "bad news" because it is good to know more about what is going on.

Anyway, the reason for this posting is to say just how much I enjoyed The colours of Crete; I hadn't realised that you could decide where to be registered to vote. It was also good to hear of the visit to Dinny and her friends.

Looking forward to the next issue already!
Kritsa Yvonne

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

Why such a sad face, Wim?

I guess I should be the one to show such a face. I, too, enjoyed reading Yannis' article about his trip to the South and when reading about his visit here in my home I could only give a sad smile. My little 'kingdom of animals' has been struck by tragedy: Since Saturday night I have lost 5 indoor cats due to the very contageous cat illness, I think it's called 'cat fever'. Once the virus is there, nothing can be done and they die within 24 hours. So... Cookie, Frenzie, Leo, Fuzzy, and MiniMis are no longer with me...

Silly got sick, but after three days she came out of it, Billie and Niko are OK.

I hope I have seen the end of it, I will know for sure within 24 hours if no signs of sickness appear...

B)

#4 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

Dinny that is really sad for you, fingers crossed that the others are OK.

At least that is a "natural" condition - I understand a lot of cats die each winter because people put poison down. Your cats only had a short time with you but they enjoyed what they had.
Kritsa Yvonne

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:42 PM

O.K. Din,

Here's my medicine to cheer you up, a bit
B)

MULDOON:

Muldoon lived alone in the Irish countryside with only a pet dog for company. One day the dog died, and Muldoon went to the parish priest and asked,
"Father,me beloved dog is dead. Could ya' be saying' a mass for the poor creature?"

Father Nelson replied, "I'm afraid not. We cannot have services for an animal in the church. But there are some Baptists down the lane, and there's no tellin' what they believe. Maybe they'll do something for the creature."

Muldoon said, "I'll go right away, Father. Do ya' think $5,000 is enough to
donate to them for the service?"

Father Nelson exclaimed, "Sweet Mary, Mother of Jesus! Why didn't ya tell me the dog was Catholic?"

DONATION:

Father O'Malley answers the phone

"Hello, is this Father O'Malley?"
"It is"

"This is the IRS. Can you help us?"

"I can"

" Do you know a Ted Houlihan?"
"I do"

"Is he a member of your congregation?"

"He is"

"Did he donate $10,000 to the church?"

"He will".

CONFESSION:

An elderly man walks into a confessional. The following conversation ensues:

"I am 92 years old, have a wonderful wife of 70 years, many children,
grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Yesterday, I picked up two college girls,
hitchhiking. We went to a motel, where I had sex with each of them three times."
Priest: "Are you sorry for your sins?"
Man: "What sins?"
Priest: "What kind of a Catholic are you?"
Man: "I'm Jewish."
Priest: "Why are you telling me all this?"
Man: "I'm telling everybody."

BROTHEL TRIP:

An elderly man goes into a brothel and tells the madam he would like a
young girl for the night. Surprised, she looks at the ancient man and asks
how old he is.
"I'm 90 years old," he says.
"90!" replies the woman. Don't you realize you've had it?"
"Oh, sorry," says the old man. "How much do I owe you?"

SENILITY:

An elderly man went to his doctor and said, "Doc, I think I'm getting
senile.
Several times lately, I have forgotten to zip up."
"That's not senility," replied the doctor. "Senility is when you forget to zip down."

PEST CONTROL:

A woman was having a passionate affair with an inspector from a pest-control company.
One afternoon, they were carrying on in the bedroom together when her husband arrived home unexpectedly.
"Quick," said the woman to her lover, "Get into the closet!" And she pushed him into the closet, stark naked.
The husband, however, became suspicious, and after a search of the bedroom, discovered the man in the closet.
"Who are you?" he asked him.
"I'm an inspector from Bugs-B-Gone," said the exterminator.
"What are you doing in there?" the husband asked.
"I'm investigating a complaint about an infestation of moths," the man replied.
"And where are your clothes?" asked the husband.
The man looked down at himself and said, "Why, those little bastards...."

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

Oh no, Dinny!

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your poor cats. I guess the only mercy is that it was a fairly swift illness and they shouldn't have suffered too much.

It sounds to me like they may have had "Cat Flu". My cat Bilbo had it when he was tiny and he nearly died. I stayed up with him every night for months on end making sure he was fed, watered and dry (the illness made him dribble a lot). It's all very distressing. He eventually got over it though and grew up to be healthy, if a little on the small side..
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#7 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:24 PM

Dear Dinny,
we are all sad for the loss of the little kittens. Although I spent only a couple of hours with them in your house, I found all of them adorable and I enjoyed their games on and around me.
I hope the rest of your animals will stay healthy and live with you happily for many more years.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#8 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

Dear Dinny,

I, too, am sorry to read about what have happened to your wonderful cats. Keep us posted - good or bad news.

Birgit

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:07 PM

Dear Dinny,
Like everyone else I too was sad to hear of your news.
Take care
xx
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#10 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

Dinny

Sorry to hear about your news
Ian

#11 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

How sad, Dinny - they were such adorable kittens. Glad to hear some survived and hopefully they'll have some immunity now and will grow to be big and healthy.

#12 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:05 PM

Thank you all for your sympathy, it has been hard, but it seems to be over now. Three cats are still "indoors", the matron Billie, and her two kittens Silly and Niko. One of the outdoor cats died, but since none of the others on the terrace seem to be effected, this death might have been due to poisoning or eating a poisoned mouse. For the last few days everything has stabilized, the cats outside remain 6,5 (the half being a kitten) and 3 indoors. The virus they caught was the Feline Panleukopenia Virus. You would usually get your cats vaccinated against it, and mine were not since the veterinarian couldn't come "all the way" from Mires to Pitsidia to vaccinate them all, and I honestly never had heard that they could be caught by such an evil illness. Well, it has happened and now things are back to normal, any new kittens will be brought immediately to the veterinarian to get their vaccination!

#13 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:35 AM

A smile for aunt Dinny....

Posted Image