Hi everybody! I m a new member and I would like to say .... Hello! :D :D

#2 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

Yassas Attika I hope you find all the infomation you need about Crete here and if not just ask and one or all of us will endeavour to provide the answer.

B) :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#3 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

Yassas!

Welcome aboard. B)
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#4 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

Thanks to all of you,
very kind !!

Im greek from Athens with cretan origin from Vlatos Chania but I live in Italy near Florence.

You are so many that like Crete... this is wonderfull!!

#5 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

hello, it will be great to get to know you and the odd snippet about Italy will be good as we love driving through on our way to Crete - funny but we don't like it much on the way back!!!!
Kritsa Yvonne

#6 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

Do you know if there's a village in the part of Sfakia in the south coast that was completely inhabitate and now live people from other countries?
My father told me that?!

#7 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Attika,

You choose the forum name that is bound to the classic Athens area . Why?

Thank God, there aren't any of such place in the south that are occupied by the Xenoi..

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#8 mfc

mfc

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:45 PM

hi

#9 Katarina

Katarina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:31 AM

Hi Attika
It's not really in Sfakia, but in the south there is a village that was deserted which has been restored as a holiday village.
The property is owned mainly by Cretan people and the houses look nice, but it's not like a real village - almost like a film set!
It is called Agia Paraskevi - I don't know if this is the village that your father told you about, but it is South of Spili near the coast between Agia Galini and Plakias

#10 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

Hi Wim,
I choose Attika because I come from Attika from the city of Athens and somehow Im proud of been athenian even if my family origin is from Kriti and the kissamos (Vlatos near Milia) area.
When I was a little girl we lived until 1976 in the area of Koukaki in Athens and from my straight small balcony I use to see Parthenon very near and I was fascinated to see so many people every day up there.
I didnt understand what they are doing up there but I understand that must be very important .
Later in the years when I went to school and study about our history I realize the importance that has the Akropolis area.

You know there are people from Athens that never have been to Akropolis?
We greeks we are proud about our past but we are not so curious to learn more about our history, we are a little a bit ignorants. Im sorry to say that but is true....I hope new generations be more informed and courious!

Katarina,
Must be Agia Paraskevi then. Anyway I ll ask him about.
Thanks!!!!!!!

There's a useful site about the greek language

http://www.our-big-f...ic-language.com

#11 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

B) Thanks, Attika, for the site, I just love browsing it!!

#12 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

Welcome, Attika.

I like your name. I love Athens almost as much as I love Crete, and have greatly enjoyed spending time there. You have a great deal to be proud of. My first visit was in 1960, and then there was a very long gap until 2004, but since then I've been there three times. I'm going again in January, and am very much looking forward to it.

I go to Crete a couple of times a year, nearly always to Sfakia, but a few years ago we spent a couple of weeks in Agia Paraskevi. The village was, as you say, abandoned many years ago but the children of the families who moved away got together and decided to renovate their old family homes. The houses are lovely, and they've done the renovations beautifully. Yes, it's a tourist village, not a "real village", but it's very nice, and it's so much better that the houses are being used than that they were allowed to fall into complete ruin. The owners are rightly proud of what they've done. You can see some pictures of Agia Paraskevi here: http://www.freelance...a_paraskevi.php

You're from near Florence - another place close to my heart. I met my husband there in 1960.

All good wishes,

Julie

#13 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:32 PM

Kalimera se olous kai oles!!!
Here I am again!
Talk to my father yesterday evening and I find out that is Agia Paraskevi the village in the south.
He made tsikoudia by his self the last last days and sais that is very strong!
Its 2 years now that live in Vlatos alone since my grandfather (97 years old) died and he likes the village life,he has his olive tries his garden with vegetables his rabbits and various cats and a dog named Flora.
He dont want to go back to Athens!

#14 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

Sorry its late, but hello to you and welcome to the website!!

#15 attika

attika

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

Thanks!!!!