7 replies to this topic

#1 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:19 AM

Does anyone know anything about Haris Apartments in Paleochora? Or anywhere else that one can rent for less than a week.
Sheila

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:54 AM

I have stayed there in 2001 and it was excellent. Nice location far from the noise of the town with great sea view, but within walking distance from the town centre (5 minutes).
Haris (Greek) and his wife Flora (English) were great hosts. At the ground floor there is a small cafe for breakfast and quick lunch. They also have an Internet corner, where you can check your emails.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 S&H

S&H

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

Hi Sheila!

Haven´t been in Haris, but for example Maria&Manolis, Christos or Kima -hotel at the bebble beach are good and Pavlos Studios outside the village two kjlometers to the Anidri beach. I think every hotel we have been, can rent rooms for one day or more and we have been there nearly 20 weeks during last ten years.
And if you go at low season, you don´t have to make a reservation, there are plenty of rooms. Go to Skala in the port and take a beer or frappe and ask, where can I go for few days. They know everyone there.

#4 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

Bit late! but here goes.

Haris has a very good reputation, and he and his wife have a very nice quite modern place right on the sea on the rocky (eastern) side of Paleohora, five minutes stroll and out of earshot of the town centre.

We have had coffees there a few times, and also lunch - but right next door, away from town, is another place where we prefer to have our midday meal when we're in that vicinity. This is no reflection on Haris, though.

Haris is, of course, quite famous for that article in the Observer a few years ago about a British couple who stayed in Paleochora that winter.

Henry.

#5 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

Having looked at timetables etc we have made vague plan to catch bus to Paleochora, enjoy evening there, stay overnight, catch morning ferry to Aghia Roumelli, catch onward ferry to Loutro for lunch and afternoon look around, then ferry onward to Chora Sfakion and bus back towards Chania, getting off at Kalives/ Armenoi road crossing. Anyone like to guess cost of basic room for two people/one night in Paleochora late May? or otherwise comment on practicalities?

#6 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

You should be able to get a room for anything upwards of 20 Euros. At the lower end the room will be basic (have a look in the area around the bus station for those). There is bound to be plenty of accommodation available when you are due to go. If locals approach you as you get off the bus, then by all means follow them and have a look at what they have to offer. Negotiating a price is Ok, but do make sure that they know you are only planning to stay one night (I'd make it two if I were you, by the way).

Incidentally, once when in Paleochora we met some yound people from England who were going home the next day, having enjoyed a week there. Their only beef was with the stony beach: they hadn't realised that at the other end of the narrow promontory that Paleohora sits on is a pretty glorious sandy beach! Poor them!

Henry.

#7 lucky

lucky

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

yes harris is a nice place he and his wife also run a little cafe called waters edge

#8 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:09 PM

According to Christopher Somerville, author of the excellent book "The Golden Step - A Walk through the Heart of Crete", just published by Haus, when he went to Paleohora he stayed at a place called "Dream Rooms" - for one night I believe. He wrote a poem about the place and it is in the book and, if I may quote him, it reads:-
Dream Rooms
'Dream Rooms - someone thought that one up, knowing
just what south coast drifters want;
nothing too real.
Slip in and out of the
little white towns, in and out of beds barred
with afternoon sun in dream rooms;
play in dreadlock caves, tamarisk camps,
lazy bays of pigs and tufted
under the sun's lens
Soft dreamers' land, after
the rocky absolutes of mountains and their people.

I thoroughly recommend the book, it will hit the spot repeatedly for those who know Crete.