14 replies to this topic

#1 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

I have been opening blogs/forums on what to put inside the house (furniture, oven, internet) while waiting for the legal process to finish. We have now paid the 10% deposit, and the house will hopefully be ours within the next month! :(

Since we do not intend to bring a car, I have started to look for air tickets on the net. Beginning with the economy airlines, which we used for our visit in October. They are now open for booking: the earlier you act the lower the fare. I have already booked our low cost return flight, which will be by end of April, when spring hopefully starts coming to Norway. They are not offering any south-bound flights for February or March and the only option seems to be Athens-Piraeus-Heraklion at non-discounted fares. Booking VIP-seats on the Minoan ferry will be done in January.

This is how far my search on the net has brought me. There might be better ways, so any advice will be received with thanks! :D

old viking

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:31 PM

I am not sure from your post exactly when you are intending to come. Certainly there are no direct flights to Crete during the winter months, but I'd have thought you should be able to get a flight to Athens from Norway. Have you tried Aegean airlines for an internal flight from Athens? Last time I looked they were offering flights at 19 euros each way, plus taxes.

Good luck with your search.

Pam

#3 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for valuable info, Pam! :(
We will fly Aegean which cuts down both travel time and cost from Athens. Flying Norwegian to Heraklion in October for 80E we were spoiled and are now complaining about BA which asks 350E to fly us to Athens! Any better deals?

The exact date has not yet been decided, but it will be around middle of March.

old vikilng

#4 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:00 AM

Have you checked out all the low cost carriers, obviously they will not fly direct to Athens.

Ryanair
Easyjet
Air Berlin
the list goes on
Ian

#5 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:44 PM

I am workling on it, Mani!

Easyjet flies HER from Gatwick, but low cost flights OSL-LON are all Stansted. Best connection Stansted-Gatwick?

old viking

#6 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

There is no direct service from Stansted to Gatwick.

By train you would have to use Stansted Flyer to London/Liverpool St, then the Gatwick Express from London/Victoria to Gatwick. I think there are plans to stop the Gatwick Express in the near future. That would also need a subway connection thru London. So not a good option.

I think there is a coach link but it is via London Heathrow.

As far as I am aware only BA operate a schedule service from Gatwick to Heraklion. I have already booked for next year. Not sure of the start dates for next year. The flight departs Gatwick at 0715.

You maybe able to find a charter seat from Stansted to Heraklion for that you will need to contact UK Tour operators. Thomson, Mytravel, First Choice, Cosmos, Avro etc all via their websites.

I hope you find a solution to your route.
Ian

#7 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:11 PM

Quote from Old Viking:

"Easyjet flies HER from Gatwick, but low cost flights OSL-LON are all Stansted. Best connection Stansted-Gatwick?"

Currently Easyjet do not fly to Crete. Their service from Gatwick (and from Luton) only goes to Athens.

Sorry,

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#8 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:12 PM

You are right, John,

I planned to correct it, but you were there before me!

I can fly OSL CPH LGW ATH but with all the charges added on top of each fare, flying BA from Oslo via Heathrow may still be my best bet. I will check the airlines suggested by Mani in his last post before I make the booking. Thank you both for your help!

old viking

#9 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

I having been hunting around try www.kayak.com and it will give you alterate routes for OSL/ATH.
Ian

#10 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

Another money saving tip that you can use if you use different airlines for each leg of the journey:

When you buy a ticket you pay "airport tax" so, if you fly into and out of the same airport within 24 hours you have paid the tax twice. You can reclaim one tax amount at each airport.

For example, you fly to Athens with BA and fly Agean from Athens to Crete. When you get to Athens take your BA boarding card and your Agean ticket to the BA counter and claim a refund of the tax. BA will give you a cash refund. Easyjet will not give you cash & will tell you to write to their office in the UK. Do this and you will, eventually, get the refund. We have done this at Athens, there is no reason that I can see why you should not do this at all the airports where you change planes (and airlines).

Hope this helps

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#11 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

Thanks to both of you, Ian and John! Cayak.com also led me to BA, where I now have booked tickets for OSL LHR ATH. The convenience of booking luggage through to Athens convinced me not to look for more economy solutions. I now also have tickets on Aegean for Heraklion, but was surprised to find that while the flight is advertized for 19 E, the extra charges adds it up to 46.

I shall try to get the refund you mention, John.

#12 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Sorry! www.kayak.com is the name of the site for searching airline connections. I found it very useful!

#13 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

It's nice to have a topic about "Getting There" on the forum. It gives members and visitors a nice overview of the possibilities.

This one e.g. is about getting there from Holland, but it is also useful for travellers from England and Germany.
The latter offering some interesting possibilities.

But: the problem of "getting there" out of season in a direct flight remains. You have to make a transfer at Venizelou airport, and from there you can take a domestic flight to Chania/Heraklion/Sitia.

Or take the ferry it's fun and it's a great way of arriving on Crete.

Καλο ταξιδι

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#14 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:41 PM

Thank you Wim for reviving this important subject. We are flying to Heraklion by the end of the month: Oslo-Munich-Athens-Heraklion, and find it takes more time (and costs more) than flying Oslo-Heraklion direct. This option will only begin in late March.

With present concern about CO2 emissions, we wish that seafaring nations like yours and mine would restore the proud period of the windjammers! B)

Old viking

#15 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

Amen, you old Viking.

Keep us informed about the trip!

Καλο ταξιδι

;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."