23 replies to this topic

#1 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

We are in the process of getting a holiday home in Crete, where we plan to spend a month or two in spring and autumn. The nearest internet cafee is 20 minutes by bus. I should prefer to have it in the house, and wonder what is available and at what cost? Email is the most important function, the Web would be nice.

I raised the same question in the last entry of my picture-blog "Filling An Empty House", but had no comments. I have later realized that the comment-option is turned off by the system operator. So I am now repeating my question in the forum, were comments are possible - and welcome!

#2 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:55 PM

I am surprised that there is no internet cafe where you are going. There are lots all over the island. Next time I am there I will try and find one for you.

Broadband is available, although it is run differently here. Rather than paying monthly by credit card as you do in the UK, here you go into a shop (I would suggest Multirama in Ag Nik) and buy a CD for a set period, one month, three months, six months or a year and pay at the outset. The one or three month option should be ideal for you. I use Forthnet but check what special deals are on offer as you can often buy 6 months and get an extra 6 months free. If I remember correctly I paid 80 Euros (56) for 6 months.

Hope this helps

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#3 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the info, John. You are now talking about broadband from your house? You would need a router or some sort of modem as well? The charges you mention seem reasoanble, compared to what I pay here in Norway.

#4 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:35 PM

I paid (I think) 80 Euros for "The Internet in a Box". The box contained a CD, a modem and a "free" webcam, plus instructions etc and a form to send to the phone co (which was filled in for me by Multirama as it was in Greek) to get my phone line changed to accept broadband. This phone line change took about 6 days and was included in the price of the "box".

Yes I have broadband at home which I access on a laptop.

John

#5 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

Thanks again, John.

In school I learned about the oracle in Delphi, now I know where to go when in Crete. Your information is always valuable, so I have another question related to the Internet: Will the "Internet in a Box" run on Linux? I never use Windows since I do not like computer virus and monopolies. I use Damn Small Linux which is only 50 MB, runs live in ram, and fits on an 8 cm mini-cdrom.

My computer box is a big one on top of my desk, not easily brought to Crete unlesse I use overland freight as you did. I have an old HP Omnibook 800 CT laptop which I will bring along. It has both Linux and Windows (only95) inside, an external CD-player, no USB, but both serial and parallell connectors.

I noticed Sorin is making his first post on Living in Crete today, he is looking for a place to stay near Heraklion where he will work at the Computer Science Insititute. I can not help him with this, but perhaps he can help solving the "Internet in a Box" problem? ^_^

#6 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

Old Viking,

Many thanks for your kind words!
I cannot help you with this though, as I have no idea if it would work with Linux. I do still have the instruction book and the CD but everything is written in Greek and my "level 1 Greek" is not up to translating it.
One of the problems of living in Greece!!
Sorry

John

#7 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:29 AM

A problem I see is that the ADSL modem you will get, needs to be connected with USB to your computer. Since your laptop has no USB, that will be a big problem.
Another solution is to get a router for a slightly higher price but then you will need an Ethernet connection. Does your laptop have such a port?

ADSL 768 Kbits download and 192 upload costs 22.50 Euro per month from Otenet. The price includes the USB modem and you will sign a contract for 6 months. The simpler router with one USB and one Ethernet port will cost 27 Euro more. They also sell a Wi-Fi router with 4 Ethernet ports for 54 Euro more. If you have your phoneline connected, then you can call 134 and order the ADSL line. The equipment will be delivered by courier and the line will be activated within 6 working days.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#8 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

Thank you, Yannis for the information. My old laptop does not have an ethernet port, so I shall have to buy a new one. My wife will be happy about this, the Omnibook has a very uncomfortable keyboard. Signing on for 6 months seem more than I need, so if the "Internet in a Box" enables me to sign on for one or three months, this seems preferable.

I did not have a reply to my question if "Internet in a Box" supports Linux, but since Internet is running on Unix, it should. You never know what limitations Bill has put in the Box, though! ^_^

#9 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:27 PM

Just so that nobody thinks it's that easy when you move to Crete: It depends on where you are moving to! Here in the South, in Pitsidia, we need to use binoculars to see the ADSL coming, it will probably be years still... so internet is the old kind with a simple ISDN modem and sloooooooooooooow connection. Due to lack of language knowledge it took me forever to get the right connection. I used various 'wrong' connections which cost me around 7-900 Euro per phone bill... until Yannis kindly helped me to fill in the Greek form for asking OTE to give me a special ISDN connection. At least, now my monthly internet budget is not exceeding the 120 Euro. Considering that I need it for work and need to have it turned on most of the day, I can live with this price.

I think I will make myself a signature here in ExploreCrete of the kind: "Nothing is easy in Crete" ;-)

#10 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

Dinny

As you may have gathered I live about 8 km from Ag Nik and Old Viking's house will be/is also about the same distance from Ag Nik but in a different direction so he will be able to use an ADSL line.

When we first came here I had an ISDN connection but, as you pay for the cost of the phone, my phone bills were 90-120 Euros per 2 months. Since getting a ADSL line they have dropped by about three quarters!

John

#11 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

John,
I found MULTIRAMA on the net, and an ADSL router for Forthnet called "ADSL in a Box" . Could this be the one you are using?Attached File  CryptoF200001.gif   12.96KB   149 downloads They had a wizard on a cdrom, which would do the installation. This seems promising for me, using Linux.

Then came a serious warning from MS Windows (Bill doesn't like competition) Attached File  CryptoF200005.gif   8.9KB   138 downloads
What do you think, Sorin?

#12 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

Old Viking,

Searching on Google I saw that there is a product named "ADSL in a box" from Forth-net and I was able to download also a pdf containing a kind of user guide (but it is in Greek ^_^ ) at this URL:

http://www.forthnet...... in-a-box.pdf

The pdf also contains the pictures that you have attached at your previous post. Yes, it seems that you have to install an USB modem and it seems also that this is done through a Windows Wizard. What I have deduced from the pictures :wacko: is that you have also to install some additional software driver in order to make the modem to work and this driver is installed under Windows XP (it might also be possible that you coulod not install it on Windows 2000 for example). It might be very possible that Linux has not the proper driver to support this kind of modem. If Forth-net does not provide the driver for this USB modem for Linux you will not be able to make the modem working under Linux.

With best regards,
Sorin

#13 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

Old Viking/Sorin

Yes, I am sorry, the product I use is "ADSL in a Box" and not "Internet in a Box" as I previously advised. This is run on a Dell laptop using Windows XP.

I am certainly no computor wizz, but the installation, using the CD supplied, was simple and straightforward.
I ignored Bill Gates warning of using non Microsoft approved software and have had no problems. When I first came here we used Germanosnet as the provider and had ISDN. Again the whole thing was installed with a CD with no problem, but again I had to ignore Bill Gates dire warning! I do suspect that lots of Greek software is not Bill Gates approved! Both installations were carried out in English by the way.

I realise that this does not answer your question about running it in Linux but hope it helps.

John

#14 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

To John and Sorin,

Thank you both for your interest. I am sorry being so particular about my operating system, but this is one of the religious wars I am fighting!

Attached File  grpenguin_s.png   18.65KB   118 downloads

#15 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

Old Viking,
I understand and appreciate your war! An important part of your army is composed from people working in Computer Science ^_^
I've searched on net and found that it is possible to install Crypto F200 USB ADSL modem (which I understood that is part of the "ADSL in a box" package) in Linux but is not as immediate as in Windows.
The producer of the modem (Crypto) provides on its site only Windows drivers - http://www.crypto.gr/en/index.htm - but it seems that the open source comunity wasn't discouraged and developed support for using on Linux the ADSL USB modems based on the Conexant AccessRunner chipset (Crypto F200 is such a modem, based on this chipset)
please see:
http://lists.hellug....May/056973.html
and:
http://accessrunner....et/driver.shtml
Another interesting post is this:
http://gentoo-wiki.c...M1450G#Firmware (Chapter 3)

With best regards,
Sorin

#16 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:24 AM

I am using an ADSL modem which is also an Ethernet router (Alcatel Speedtouch) and it doesn't require any installation. All settings are changed from a web interface with the guidance of the Help desk of Otenet.
As far as I know the modem-routers are better than USB modems because:
1. They have their own internal processor and they do not use the processor of your pc
2. They always include a built-in firewall that protects you from hacking attempts
3. You may connect more than one PC to them and create a small network easily
All Internet providers will offer you the option to buy a router at an extra charge. For Otenet the extra cost is only 27 Euro.
Finally, I wouldn't advice you to buy any modem from your country and bring it with you, as all Internet providers will offer support ONLY if you use the equipment provided by them.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#17 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

Sorin,
your last reference (chapter 3) supports the opinion of Yannis that an ethernet router rather than a USB modem is to be preferred. Tnank you both for leading me in the right direction!

Yannis,
The option of making a small wlan network is tempting - is it within the local rules and regulations?

#18 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:09 PM

If you want to setup a wireless network, then you should buy a wireless router which will cost 55 Euro more compared to the USB modem.
There are no rules against setting up your own home network.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#19 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

There are no rules against setting up your own home network

Yannis,
Would this include a mesh network providing friends with cheap internet? :D

By the way, what is the meaning of the warn: 0% on my posts? Am I already being suspected of breaking rules? :(

#20 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

I suppose you could offer cheap internet to a couple of your neighbours, but I have no idea about the technical limitations.

0% warning means that you are a well-behaved member of the forum. You should start worrying if that percentage increases -))
Yannis Samatas
webmaster