#1 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:20 PM

Hello!

Firs of all I'd like to say that I'm new to Crete.
I will work at the Computer Science Institute (FORTH-ICS) which I understood that is 7Km distance from Heraklion and it is located near Voutes and Stavrakia.
I'd like to ask you where do you think that is better to rent an apartment: in the city of Heraklion or outside the city? How much can be an apartment with 2 rooms? But a 3-rooms apartment?
How much can be the cheapest rental of a car? What other transportation services could I use (bus, etc) ?
How much do you estimate that I could spent with food per month?

Thank you very much
With best regards,
Sorin

#2 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Welcome to this place, Sorin!

I am new here myself, as you can see. For the time being I live in Norway, unable to help you with your housing problem. But hope that you might be able to help me with a small problem, as related in my last post on Living in Crete/ Internet: Will the "Internet in a Box" from the local Internet provider work with Linux?

old viking

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

Sorin,
you may find this thread useful: http://members.explo...?...749&hl=rent

If you will have a car, then it will be easier to live outside of Heraklion. Apartments will be cheaper and you will avoid the heavy traffic of Heraklion.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

Old Viking,

I'm not yet in Greece, so I don't know what kind of Internet Services is the local ISP offering.
But if you are referring to the software package named "Internet in a Box" (IBox) it was created in 1994 to provide a mean to connect to Internet from Windows (at that time Linux was just in the beginning of its existence).
But Linux offers within the default installation a lot of software applications in order to connect to Internet. So I think that the problem is not the operating system (it could be Win, Unix or Linux) or the interfacing software applications but the physical connection line to Internet.

With best regards,
Sorin

#5 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:36 AM

Dear Mr. Yannis Samatas,

Thank you for your answer. Because I don't know exactly how long I will stay in Crete, I would prefere to rent a car. Is this possible? How much can be the rental per month? I'm not pretentious regarding the car. It's ok any kind of car ( even a decent old one ^_^ ) which can work and also does not consume much gas. :wacko:

With best regards,
Sorin

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

Sorin,
a long-term car hire in the winter months won't be too expensive. I don't know how much they will charge you per month, but you can contact a few of the car hire agencies that advertise on this site and ask them for a special offer.
About the cost of living in Crete, I would say no less than 1000 euro per month. That includes rent for a small apartment (200 - 300 Euro), heating, gas for your car, food and a few drinks in the bars and cafes of Heraklion.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

Sorin,

I believe the "Internet in a Box" might be referring to "ADSL in a Box" (what do you think, John?) If so, there is a warning from Microsoft not to use it, since it does not have the MS approval stamp. Have a look at my last post in Living in Crete/Internet for some details.

#8 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

Dear Mr. Yannis Samatas,

I would like to ask you, if you know, how easy is to rent an apartment in Voutes. Is an apartment here cheaper than one in Heraklion city?
Are there, in Voutes, supermarkets with food? May be this question seems silly :-) but excuse me, I'm completely new to this region.

#9 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

Dear Sorin,
Yannis is enough, no need to call me "Mr. Yannis Samatas" -))

Voutes is a small village, which is close to the University hospital of Heraklion. This is the reason that many doctors have chosen this place to live.
There are no many apartments there, but there are houses to rent. I don't think there is a real supermarket there. You will have to drive to Heraklion for that, but you will find minimarkets in Voutes for your urgent supplies.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#10 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

Hello!

Does anybody know if there is a regular bus from Heraklion town to the Voutes Campus?

#11 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

I am sure there is a regular bus, since many students need to go there from Heraklion every day.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#12 Sorin

Sorin

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

Hello all again!

I'm now in Heraklion and in the weekend I'd like to visit a beach near Heraklion. I understood that in Heraklion city there are not beaches proper for swimming. I will not try to swim now :) - it's just that I want to see the beaches.
So, could you please indicate me some of beautiful beaches near the Heraklion which I can reach quickly by bus?
Please indicate me also what bus should I take and from where.

Thank you very much
With best regards,
Sorin