5 replies to this topic

#1 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:11 AM

Can anyone tell me where on Crete one can find the best apples? Is one area known for having the best and sweetest apples, or are there several areas where good apples are grown?

In return for your answer, I will bake a great apple pie ;-)

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

I don't think Crete produces a great quantity of apples. Apples are usually imported from other areas of Greece, like Pelion in central Greece (close to Volos).
South of Heraklion and very close to Kroussonas town, there is a small plateau caled Milies (apple trees). The apples are very small but they taste and smell great. This kind of apples is known as "firikia".
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:23 PM

this shows, if someone asking a simple question and another one is willing to/can give a good answer, yet another one like me :blush: still learns every day.

that makes things in balance B) and that makes boards like these so valuable. :blush:
time isn't money, it's precious !

#4 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

Thank you, Yannis. I think I read somewhere (don't remember where) that delicious apples are grown in the Lasssithi Plateau. I have been doing google searches to try to get more information.

#5 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:51 PM

Apples from Omalos are also nice..and small. In the mountains it is colder and that is what the apples need to be good.
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#6 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

To add to the discussion - apart from lemons, apricots, oranges etc, what other fruits grow successfully in Crete? Can you get the likes of blackberries (I do like a nice apple and blackberry crumble) or redcurrants etc? When we get settled I'd like to have a garden where we can grow fruit like this, assuming they will grow, that is!.