8 replies to this topic

#1 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:52 PM

We have decided to buy a small house in Crete and will need furniture and other items to make it a home. We have been recommended to ship it from our home country by container, rather than buy it locally, new or secondhand.

We wonder if any visitor to this site has a similar experience. Any advice is appreciated.

old viking

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

Well, we're a couple of years away from making the move, but from the research I've done, it's probably better to buy new or secondhand here except for any valuable items, either in money or sentimental value. We certainly have no intention of transporting our rather well-scratched and shabby IKEA sofa for instance! :blush: :blush:
I gather the furniture prices are not much different from the UK and it saves the transportation costs.

#3 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

I take your point. Probably better start getting only the basics, which could be made locally. They have lovely olive wood, and seem to have skilled carpenters. Our old bamboo furniture for the rooftop shall have to stay at home - at least for the time being (although my wife thought this was a good way of getting rid of them).

While having red snappers in Pelagos last week I fell in love with the wooden benches in their garden. They are wide enough for sleeping on, and will enable us to have several guests at the table.

I shall make a new blog called Filling an Empty House, where the process of getting the furniture will be the main issue.

P.s As I am writing this I look out of the window and see that. the cars parked outside are covered with snow.The first this side of summer. The children will be happy, while we get food for our dreams.

#4 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

Pam,

I am going to "agree to differ" with you on furniture prices in Crete.
In my opinion furniture, settees, chairs, tables and beds are far more expensive than in the UK and the choice of styles is more limited. The majority of Cretan furniture is very traditional and "heavy looking" and made with dark brown wood. It is also excellent quality. It is very difficult to find furniture made using lighter coloured wood and if this is your style Ikea in Athens (next to the airport) is probably the best bet.

The exception to this is wrought iron beds, tables and chairs which, compared with the UK are inexpensive.

The question of whether to ship from the UK or buy here is difficult to answer. We had a small 10 cubit meter container which cost 2,400 to ship our belongings over, but we did have a number of items which we would have brought with us whatever the cost. I would guess that if we had brought nothing with us and bought new here, more than half of the 2,400 would have been taken up by the increased prices here. I suppose that the bottom line is "how much do you like your current furniture or would you prefer to start again with new?

As I say, this is only my opinion and your criteria may be different from mine.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#5 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the advice, John! :D I guess the cost of the container freight was door to door? Did it take a long time?

So far our week in Crete was spent looking for a house, so we had no time for looking in furniture shops this time. I like the locally made furniture, as shown in the first picture in the blog "Filling An Empty House" (if you have the bandwidth - It seems that some of my visitors have a slow connection - sorry) .

#6 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:23 PM

Old Viking

The container was "door to door" in 7 days. It came overland with "Nomad". (Excellent service, by the way, they wrapped everything in bubble type film, loaded the container and sealed it while we watched. 7 days later, as promised, it arrived at our door in Crete, they showed us the unbroken seals, placed everything in the rooms and unwrapped them. We did nothing except provide the refreshments)

The only mistake we made was not realising how much they could get in a 10 cu metre container. We could have brought a lot more with us than we did.

A point I forgot to mention in my earlier post.
If you have a container you can also bring things like saucepans, cutlery, china, vases, bedding etc. If you sell these before you move you will get very little for them but the cost of replacing them here, even if they are cheaper, is still considerable. Ask your wife to price up the cost of all the kitchen utensils! You may get a shock. (sorry if this is sexist!). I also think that if Crete is to be your new "home" it is nice to have some familiar things around you. Obviously this does not apply if you are furnishing a holiday home.

I have looked at the picture in your blog and don't think that you would have too much trouble getting that type of furniture here. You may have to get it made for you but most villages have a "proper" carpenter/cabinet maker who would do it for you and it would not be expensive compared to the UK.

If I can ask, how long 'till you move & where to?

John

#7 old viking

old viking

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:14 AM

John

Thank you for more information on filling an empty house. As we are thinking of a holiday home, we will start small and take your suggastion of having a local carpenter/cabinetmaker make something rustic and simple. If we should later make it our permanent home, you have now informed us about overland transport by container.

We are in the process of finalizing the purchase of a house in Kritsa, not yet included in my blogs, which have more pictures than text. Again, sorry for the bandwith, I understand you pay dearly! The required bank deposit for securing the property will go today, but we shall only have the chance to visit our house after my wife has delivered her dissertation. She is working on it, and we hope for an early spring! :D

#8 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:04 PM

Old Viking

Small world!! You will be about 15 mins drive from Ag Nik. I am also about 15 mins from Ag Nik in Kalo Horio!

Kritsa is a nice town. It has everything you need there. Why am I telling you this, you know already!!

I hope the house purchase goes smoothly, and look forward to seeing the pictures in your blog!

If there is anything I can do to help you please let me know (PM if you prefer)

John

#9 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

Hi, John, not been on the forum for the last couple of days as I've been away on business. I take your point about having some familiar items around and there will be some kitchen equipmnt coming with us for sure, plus a few things that we are attached to. However, I see no point in transporting things that have seen better days and need replacing anyway! We'll have alook at some furniture stores at some point and then decide - but IKEA in Athens could be a good option.

Pam