26 replies to this topic

#1 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

Yannis, thanks for the update and I'm so sorry it has been so bad. :wacko: ^_^ I do hope you nor any of the other members of the forum living or holidaying in Crete have been personally affected with damage to themselves or property.

Looking at the weather forecast it is set to improve, so hopefully the island will have time to start repairing the damage.

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

The heavy rains of Oct 17 (yesterday) have caused serious damages in most areas in Crete.
Basements flooded in all big towns of Crete, and parts of the highway from Heraklion to Chania were either blocked by rocks that fell on the road or they turned to small lakes.
Five charter flights were not able to land in the Chania airport and they had to land in Heraklion. Also flights to Santorini had to land in the Heraklion airport.
The strong winds did not allow any ferries to travel to / from Crete.
The area of Apokoronas was affected more and the whole area is in a state of emergency. Hotels flooded, 12 cars ended in the sea and part of the road from Georgioupolis to Kournas was destroyed.

In Gavalohori a (British) resident of the village has disappeared since last night and, until 3 pm today, the search teams had not managed to find him yet.

The weather forecast predicts an improvement of the weather since tonight. In Heraklion the improvement is already visible, as it keeps raining but the rain is much slower than yesterday.

Photos from the local news about the situation in the towns of Crete during the heavy rainfall of Oct 17

In the centre of Rethymnon

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The streets in Heraklion

Posted Image

In the port of Heraklion the sea was rough and the yacht owners had to secure them to prevent damage

Posted Image

Chania

Posted Image

Read more here: http://members.explo...?showtopic=1787
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

Yannis our thoughts are with the family of the british resident still lost and with evryone suffering at this moment. :wacko:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

It looks like the outcome of the global warming has definitely smashed all records. Even in December this would be an unexpected massive deluge....

How was the song again? "We can change the world.......rearrange the world......it's dying.....would you believe me...." :wacko:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:31 AM

Having also seen some pictures from Crete elsewhere on the internet, i hope all is now well and the storms have finally passed.
Ian

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

there are two more topics with photos from the flood in the area of Almirida and Kalives, but I am not use if anyone has noticed them:
http://members.explo...?showtopic=1787
http://members.explo...?showtopic=1788
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

Yannis I saw these pictures in another thread within this site..................must have been a worry for a lot of people over there, it is certainly unusually bad.
:unsure:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

Life goes on and the clouds have become white before they dissolve completely and let the blue of the sky of Crete show again

Posted Image

The photo was taken early this afternoon (Oct 19)
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#9 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

Yeah Wim the song says 'we r the world we r the children let's burn the rain forests and all the trees in Indonesia' so Europeans and Americans enjoy teak patio furniture!!!! Mind u I also have purchased wood patio chairs but they r not that expensive like made out of teak. Iam ashamed now thinking about it!!!

#10 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

Yannis

Good to see that some normality has returned to Crete weatherwise - though I expect the aftermath will take rather longer to revert to any sort of normality.

As is all too often the case, we hear that that most powerful of forces, flood water, claims yet more victims. One can only imagine the power behind the massive torrents when released. I remember the floods a few years back around Hora Sfakion and could hardly believe my eyes when I visited there a year or so later.

I must confess that the regularity of this type of event makes me think about what I can personally do to lessen the impact of my presence on the planet, and one of the concerns is the effects of flights on global warming. I certainly wouldn't jump at the chance of a cheapie flight just for the sake of it these days.

#11 Mapia

Mapia

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

Yanni,

Were there homes that sunk into the earth during this storm? My father-in-law keeps telling me of sinkholes in Crete, are there? I think he's trying to discourage me from wanting to go back (it's not working).

- Mary

#12 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

Maria,
tell your grandfather that the earth has become more solid over the years here in Crete, and no houses desappear into the earth anymore... -))
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#13 SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:22 PM

dear all,

I am glad or even better, I am really happy to see the sun come shining through the clouds again on our beloved island. Behind every rain there's a rainbow. Anyway, my thoughts were and are with everyone, every soul on the island !

SC
time isn't money, it's precious !

#14 John

John

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:13 PM

Have just arrived back in the Uk from Kokkino Chorio today. I have not really had a chance to see all replies in this thread yet, but here are a few photos taken over the past few days in Kokkino Chorio, Chania and Almyrida with regards to the weather

*** MESSAGE from Yannis: the photos were resized and added in the next message ***

When I get the time I will fill in the detail and upload a photo album. The clear up has now started in Almyrida, but it will take some time to get it 'back to normal'.

(I will also try to size them a bit better!).

#15 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

John, Thank you for the photos. They give a clear image of what happened in the area of Almirida.
Here they are after they were resized:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

after the flood:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#16 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

Great photos, John, they really give you an idea of what it was like. However, I hope you had somewhere to tuck yourself in that was warm and snug while the storms raged!

#17 John

John

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:18 AM

Thanks Pam, I am fortunate that my house is in the hills, just over the ridge towards the sea from the 'old' Kokkinho Chorio village. Whilst we had all the rain, thunder and lightening, I only had some very minor water problems due to an unsealed electrical conduit, taking power to my roof terrace which has since been fixed.

I am currently working on getting the photo's resized so that I can create an album in the gallery. I forgot to mention in the original post a couple of days ago that there was also a waterspout on the 9th October off the coastline. A photo of this will be included in the album.

#18 John

John

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

The photo album is now available in the gallery

#19 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

John, have seen your pictures and they are good, just hope everyone is ok after the storm.

:lol: :D
Santo

#20 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hi, John, just spent a happy few minutes skimming through the photos, and they're great - love the cats, too! What struck me is how quickly the sun came out and the sea calmed down after the storm, though the pictures of the cars and debris on the beach at Alemrida showed how bad it actually was. Hope the clean-up operation is progressing well.