#1 happyem

happyem

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

hello!
We are moving to Crete next year near the area of Kournas village. Does anyone have any information about the village or does anyone live near this area?
B)
Emma

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:42 AM

I wonder why you are moving to an area you don't even know.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:59 AM

Having a bad hair day Wim?

Maybe they know the area, but as they now what to live there are interested in finding out more? Not everything is as black and white as it seems on the outside B)

I jumped to the same conclusion and showed my wife. "look more people moving without knowing the area". She corrected me as above, and in fact on retrospect even if you know the area from 10 years of holidaying there, isn't it still wise to ask the question. You never know what you may find out.

Good luck with the move happyem

#4 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

LOL assim, perhaps our learned friend (Wim) is feeling the onset of the winter B) B) :lol:

happyem, I'm sure there are some members that will be able to help with some information I however cannot sorry but good luck.
:D B)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

I'm outwitted B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 happyem

happyem

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

Yes we have visited the area and surrounds, we have been coming to Rethymnon for 5 years and e have friends who live in Gerani which is 15 minites drive away. Yes Assim we are trying to find out more information and peoples opinions of the area and if anyone has lived there. Wim i think you did jump to the wrong conclusion, we asked the question because we would like to find out things we are not aware of.
It would be nice to meet someone online who lives around that area who we could chat to before we move.
Thanks for your replies everyone.

#7 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

Please, Please tell me that you have not bought one of these:

http://members.explo...?showtopic=1687

But then each to their own and who am I to judge anyway?

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#8 happyem

happyem

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

Oh no we havnt bought one of them! we are going to rent a traditional Greek house in the Village on the outskirts near Zimvragos Cellar and near a internet cafe and libary.We can also see Episκopi from our roof. how are you finding living in Crete?

#9 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

Emma,
are you going to live in Georgioupolis?
You should definitely visit the Taverna Agapinakis in the village of Kournas: homemade sausages and apakia (smoked pork), fantastic salad, good wine. One of the best tavernas in Crete!
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#10 Lesley

Lesley

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:28 PM

Hi Em
We are also moving to Kournas next year. We found a very old property 2 years ago, the renovation started in March this year and should be complete by December.
We were last there in June, the house was looking great, we are really pleased with the work.
We plan to move to Crete in March/April time.

Kournas village is great, nice and quiet but not too far from Kavos and Georgiopolis (bout a 10 minute drive) we are also only 5 mins from the beautiful lake.

We stay in the Pinelopi Apartments in Kournas, you cannot miss them as you drive on the road from Georgiopolis to the lake, on the left hand side set back off the road (white & blue building). The rooms are very nice and clean and the people are great (nice pool as well) George the owner also has a taverna by the lake.
There are a couple of tavernas in the village as welll, I hear they are very good but I haven't tried them yet.

For us, Kournas is quite central because we have friends in Selia, Plaka and Vamos it's very easy to travel. Also, Rethymnon is only a 25 minute drive away.

We will be going to Crete again in Feb. if you are around then perhaps we could meet up for a drink.

Good luck with your move
Lesley

#11 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

Oh, I do envy you both moving to Crete next year - please keep us updated on how you get on! Emily, are you intending to buy after you've been there a while? We only visited Kournas briefly a couple of years ago, but it looked lovely.

All the best.

Pam & Bob

#12 Lesley

Lesley

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

Hi Em
if your looking for a property to buy when you get to Crete, I can introduce you to our builder if you wish. He is a local bloke and does not do new build, he only takes on renovation projects. He does the work with 3 or 4 workers and is really good. He took us round to look at some of the properties he had worked on previously before we entered into a contract with him. He has done great stuff with our house, he is building me a stone kitchen and has restored the original traditional oven. Like I said earlier, we will be back in Crete in Feb so if your around then and you want to meet up with us that would be great, even if you would just like to see our house and the standard of work.
if you are intersted I'll give you my mobile phone number before we go so you can contact us, specially if your going to be in Kournas anyway,
Lesley

#13 shell

shell

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

[font=Book Antiqua]
Hi
We are moving to Crete later this year, after holidaying there for the past few years. I would be over the moon to hear from anyone who can give us tips or advice regarding schooling? We are moving to the Lassithi area. I have downloaded info from the web, but first hand knowledge would be fantastic!
Shell
Make a happy thing happen each day...

#14 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hi Shell,

As soon as I saw the word "schools" alarm bells rang!

Please remember that Greek schools only teach in Greek and do not consider it their responsibility to teach your child(ren) Greek.

How old is/are your child(ren)?

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#15 happyem

happyem

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:15 PM

Hi Shell,
we are moving to Crete in July, we will be moving to the village Armeni, so my 2 daughters (one is 16, my youngest is 14) will be attending Vamos School. We visited this school last week, and they have other english students and have extra lessons giving to the english to teach them Greek. Most of the Teachers speak some english, even though the schools are different to English schools, and are mostly taught in Greek, it will help our children to pick up the Greek language quickly. My children have been attending a greek school in England on a saturday, so they know some basics.
How old are your Children?
If you didnt want them to go to a Greek school, there is an international school in Iraklion. We have found that lots of the villages have Greek learning facilites.
But if you are moving to Greece your children will learn Greek quicker at a greek school, and alot of the Children learn English.
Keep in touch and anything else we can help you with, we will do our best. I will give you my Email address if you want to get in touch privetly.
:wacko:

#16 shell

shell

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

We are coming out to crete on 15th June this year for 2 weeks. Spending time looking at property, business and a home. Would anyone like to meet up and hopefully give a few hints/tips over a nice sociasl glass of wine or two? We are staying in Sissi (Lassithi region), but would travel in this area to meet?
Here's mhoping
Shell
Make a happy thing happen each day...

#17 tiger104

tiger104

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:39 PM

Hi

I'm new on this site, its got some gret info, we are a married couple who are researching living in Crete, its great to see some info on kids in Crete s we pln to have them out there....Can anybody tell me what the hospitals are like, is it good care whilst you are in there and are they clean ? I'm told aftercare is upto yourself! We plan to buy an old house to renovate. Can anybody give me any info on work for my husband, he does all kinds, building, plastering, roofing - tiles et. Has anybody gone over and found work of this kind ? I'm not so worried about me for the moment...I'm told there are a few brit run construction companies..?

Any feedback would be gratefully recieved.

Shel