5 replies to this topic

#1 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:03 PM

I often wondered when there'll come an end to this sultry situation.
If you don't know where it's all about read " Elgin Marbles" and learn about Elginisme

This is a poem Byron wrote criticising the removal.

Dull is the eye that will not weep to see
Thy walls defaced, thy mouldering shrines removed
By British hands, which it had best behoved
To guard those relics ne'er to be restored.
Curst be the hour when from their isle they roved,
And once again thy hapless bosom gored,
And snatch'd thy shrinking gods to northern climes abhorred!

-" Childe Harold's Pigrimage"

This vague figure of Thomas Bruce made history by "obtaining" these famous sculptures , once part of the Parthenon (Metope Frieze).

Wondering :rolleyes:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#2 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:11 AM

I think one way all of us can make a positive contribution is to never refer to the marbles as the "Elgin Marbles." I live in the States and whenever an article appears about "The Elgin Marbles," I write a letter to the editor pointing out that the marbles were never on Lord Elgin, but were on the Parthenon and are, in fact "The Parthenon Marbles."

#3 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

Absolutely agree with you Aurelia :) so much has been "stolen" all over the world that it really has got to the point where "ownership is nine tenths of the law" :rolleyes:

Why this is the case I don't know ???? surely the Marbles should be back in Greece where they belong.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#4 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:42 PM

Excuse my poor manners--forgot to thank Wim for posting that lovely poem by Lord Byron.

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:22 PM

No sweat Aurelia, it was a pleasure.

I was searching the Internet for plans and or models of the new Heraklion Archaeological Museum when I passed this bigot odd man's blog about: The Parthenon Marbles

I must say that he did not make a point about the fact that this Thomas Bruce was allowed to remove the Metope Frieze from the Parthenon by the Ottoman tyrant after the Venetian general Morosini (yes the one from the fountain in Heraklion) shot the Parthenon to kingdom come whilst knowing that it was used as gunpowder storage . It took 11 years to remove them and were sold by him to the British Government in 1816. (It did not fit his hall)

Wikipedia

Does this make the BG a receiver? And does this make the receiver as bad as the thief?

E.G. The Germans robbed half of Europe from its most famous art. Except of course those from England. Wouldn't it have been something if they had conquered England and had taken the marbles to Berlin?
Who would have claimed them after the remaining allied forces had won the war? The British or the Greeks?

A lot of art in Holland was transported to Germany in '40-44, most of them private collections especially from of course Jewish collectors who had a keen eye for art and artists.
One of these collections; from art dealer Goudstikker was bought by Hermann Gring, all paintings and art objects for NLG 2,000,000,(mind you in 1940 and Herr Gring certainly did not pay the market price).
He bought them from Goudstikker's successor in the Ltd, after Goudstikker while flying to England with his wife and children in 1940, fell in an open hatch and died???

Happily for his ancestors he had his whole collection written down in a notebook that was found upon him.
After World War II, nearly 300 works were brought back to the Netherlands and handed over to the state. In 1952, over the objections of Goudstikker's widow, the government distributed part of the collection to museums in the Netherlands and sold the rest.(aren't all governments the same?)

Part of the loot was at last returned to the rightful heirs in 2007.(sold by Christie's for 1.200,000,=) Which keeps me wondering how much the Parthenon Marbles would fetch when sold by them today.

P.S. I did not find any models or drawings of the new Heraklion Archaeological Museum.

:)

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:43 AM

some pictures here of the design

I think its the same museum. It seems to be called the Acropolis museum.

Also all links to the proper site either are broken or when you get there the images are broken and the sites layout is a mess, or just out of date (when was this museum finished?). If they can't do something simple like a website to show these artifacts for the world. Then.....

http://odysseus.cult...gr/h/1/eh10.jsp

http://www.culture.g...jsp?obj_id=3392

[edit]
I must learn to read. I see you said Heraklion Archaeological Museum when I checked it again :) As the topic was about the [insert choice of name here] marbles then I'll leave my post about the lack of, and quality of web infomation.

I found 1 picture here of the Heraklion Archaeological Museum