5 replies to this topic

#1 Greysailor52

Greysailor52

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

We're a couple, early 50's, now living in Jordan. We're making our first trip to Crete in early November, tentatively planning on staying in Ifigenia studios in Chania. Anyone have any recommendations or comments about them? Thoughts on the weather and Chania in general?

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hi sailor, is your name "Pop"eye? B)

I navigated a bit on this site and clicked the weather tab on the "home page"

Yeah right it's about the weather :o

Keep navigating :)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:31 PM

Personally I preferred Crete in November than in the summer. The only time I visited at this time of year was the last week of Nov/first of Dec. last year. The weather was sunny most days with temps in mid 20Cs, although there were a couple of cloudy days. The nights did get quite cold and there were a couple of heavy rain showers during the evening/night.
Chania is a delight without the large numbers of tourists of August and although there are tourist shops open there aren't as many as during the height of the season. On the 'upside' it was wonderful to explore this beautiful city by wandering through uncrowded streets. If you get a chance don't just do the tourist harbour area but go to the area stretching along the east ( Aktimiaouli, is I think the name of the street, Kumkapi the area). It is a pleasant walk with many tavernas and restaurants that are frequented by the locals and it leads down to the old leather factory area of the city, althought here isn't really a lot left to see of any of this.)
If you get the chance try to obtain a copy of a small booklet by a guy called Tony Fennymore. Although it is described as a companion to his walking tour of the city it can be used as a stand alone guide. You should be able to find a copy in the 'Roka' weaving shop (to be found in Zambeliou 61), as Fenny and Mihalis are old friends. There is another 'must' as far as I am concerned and I will PM you with the details. And of course,you must visit both the covered market and the outdoor( farmers) market held nearby(Minos Street) on a Saturday morning, where they sell the most remarkable fruit and veg.
Enjoy your trip, I'm sure that your first trip won't be your last.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#4 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:49 PM

i dont know much about Chania, but Iraklio is beauuuuuuuuuuutiful in the fall and winter!!!! the big brown, dry, rocky mountains are covered in green during the fall and winter months, its a totally different Kriti!
i would definitely go. THe only thing about Chania in the winter, is that it slows down tremendously. but i guess that would affect more the party goers, and club hoppers.

also, if you will be renting a car. there is a rock taverna in the village of Kiparisi. im not sure what it's called, but its only open in the fall/winter. the food is really good, its has a self serve wine area, the wine is in barrels. and the place is candle lit only. its really cool! maybe Yianni knows what i'm talking about. i've only been there once, and was lucky enough to be there on a night where the xainides were "performing" in the taverna.
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#5 Greysailor52

Greysailor52

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:37 AM

Thanks for all comments so far! Yes Wim, we had already seen the weather section, and carefully read through the month-by-month comments. We also looked at the Autumn in Crete section, and the Crete in November photo gallery. So we weren't asking "what's the weather like" although I'm sure you get lots of questions like that. We had some friends here who lived in Athens for three years and were trying to persuade us against coming to Crete In November. We just wanted some "feelings" reactions about the weather and Chania by regular visitors or residents...so we appreciate what we've seen thus far and are excited about our pending trip!

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:50 PM

O.K. Popeye,

I stayed in Crete quite some times during the period October/January. When I tell you that I swam in the Messara Bay on Christmas, with the white cap of the Psiloritis in the background , you'll understand what the weather and water temperature is like B)

Keep sailing :)

P.S.
Weather conditions are subject to change...seems got something to do with the environmental issue :o
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."