8 replies to this topic

#1 ioanna

ioanna

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:32 PM

Hi - having just found we can have a 'last minute' break the 2nd week of october am reading all the options I can find on Crete, but am a bit confusing between the travel companies description of resports and the 'Rough Guide's.. Can anyone offer advice please - we want somewhere fairly lively at night, but not 'English style' night life - ie more eclectic music bars where you can dance, maybe a club one night - perhaps with more of an international feel than the all out pub/p***-up you get in resorts in Zante/Rhodes....
Im worried that the resorts offered which sound really nice (Elounda, Makyrailos, Ag. Galini, Matala) will be too quiet in October, so maybe we should go for the likes of Malia, Ag. Nick???
Any comments etc welcome
Cheers

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:05 AM

Agios Nikolaos would be my first choice. Malia is good for nightlife, but it feels like british territory.
In Agia Galini there is some nightlife, but not much. The other places you mention are more for family-type vacation.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 ioanna

ioanna

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for advice will certainly avoid Malia then! Ag. Galini does sound OK - when we say Nightlife, its more the kind of music/cocktail bars open til 3am rather than frenetic all-nighters... We were just concerned that even these would be shut by October? - a couple of years ago we visited some of the smaller cyclades in early Sept where everything shut down after about the 3rd...

Would I be correct in thinking Stalis is also Brit territory? Certainly a town/village with proper greek appearance is also a priority....

#4 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

Hi Ionna,Stalis is slightly Brititsh,but not as full on as Malia or Hersonisos.
I agree with Yannis,Ag.Nik is probably best in late season,but I admit,it is my favourite town!
The good thing is though,you are only 7 kilometers from Elounda,so, if you hire a car,or even by bus or taxi,its not far,and Elounda is as nice as Agios,but in a different way,so you get 2 resorts to pick from for the price of one!
I think you may find many of the more "tourist towns" have all but closed by October.

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Being active as moderator on the Agia Galini site, I feel obliged to mention this little gem on the south coast. Especially in the off season it's a place you'll love at first sight.

Enjoy the majestic view over the Messara Kolpa down to Matala and Komos beach, now that it's still there.
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:50 PM

Forgot this picture

Attached Files

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:16 AM

Stalis is really a suburb of Malia, it is difficult to tell where one ends and the other starts.

Personaly, I would not visit either after dark, and when I read of the "happenings" there in the newspapers I regret to say that I am ashamed to be English. I do appreciate that you may be more adventureous than I am!

Having said that, when we get tired of Greek food (it is a little bland and almost everything contains tomatoes), we go to "The Red Lion" in Malia for a traditional British Sunday lunch. I have never had better.

In early October most things will still be open in Ag Nik & Elunda as direct flights do not end 'till the end of the month. If the odd English restaurant is closed, does it matter, you are in Crete - eat like a Cretan!

John

PS I may be prejudiced, I live 8 Kms from Ag Nik
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

If you prefer the off beaten North coast Ioanna, I'd advise to go to as far east or west as possible.
Crossing the mountain ranges of the Lefka Ori, Idi Oros and Dikti Oris will take you to the less touristic rural Crete where you can enjoy the most incredible sunsets, hospitality, walks (Imbross, Samaria mountain trips etc.) and fresh food you can think of.
Without the fish and chips culture and the beer palaces B) but with the authentic Cafeneions where you can zip your tsikoudia and try to conversate with the locals who are always curious in a charming way.
Try Iannis' Timbaki, Dinnys' Pitsidia, Ton's Matala and my Galini. :D

Anyhow, have a nice trip and tell us about your experiences.

Wim :D

Attached Files

#9 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:29 AM

Where To Stay In October?

Well, I'll be going back to Paleochora. A small place, but one that - because it actually has Cretans living in it - doesn't really close for winter; not that the tourist season finishes before the end of October in any case. Going again is very much a change of plan, but one that I was happy to consent to.

There's good food in a variety of restaurants, great beach, bars that are certainly quite busy (but on a scale quite incomparable with Malia, I believe) until the Hoorays retire (even with all the garlic we don't tend to take our chances with the vampires). Some Greek live music a few nights a week. Great walks, loads of interesting things to see. Pal even boasts of an outdoor cinema!

Henry.