Honey

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:48 PM

Hi everyone!

New to the forum.

Could anyone give any information on Zourpas Appartmens in kalives please?
Visiting from 26 Sept, info on location etc would be helpful.
Also any recommendations for eating out?

Thanks
Honey B)

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

Honey,
Sorry I can't help you with the apartments but as far as food goes ...........my family enjoy several tavernas/restaurants in the town.
1. On the sea front on the Chania side of the town is the Provlita. This is a family run place run by Iannis, a pleasant friendly character who is very proud of his restaurant and his new 'water defences'. If Costas is still there remind him of Dave and the calculator that I have promised him next year!!
2. On the town beach is the Medusa. I don't know a lot about this place but we went there one evening and I had probably the best squid that I have ever eaten...stuffed with cheese and tomato.
3. Akrogiali (?) good food, pleasant waiters..Manolis and Iannis.
4. I can't remember the name of the restaurant in the middle of the town..it has a wide front and looks rather posh and up-market..but it is not. Friends have just returned from kalives and they ate there every evening and were full of praise for the food and the service.
The main cause of complaint about most restaurants is that the service is slow when you come to paying and can prolong an otherwise enjoyable night.
There are many tavernas in the town and I'm sure that you will find one that you'll enjoy. Prepare yourself for the complimentary melon and drink when you go to pay the bill.
Experiment and try them all!!!!!! Some you may not like, some you will enjoy.
But enjoy Kalyves and please give my regards to both the Iannis' and Manolis..we're the family who had to come home early and all three were genuinely concerned.
Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Honey

Honey

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

Hi Dave

Thank you for your reply!
Im sure we shall try many of the tavernas/restaurants, thanks for your recomendations!

Will certainly pass on your regards to Iannis and Manolis if we find them.

Looking forward to exploring Kalives!

Hope everything was ok with your family after your early departure!!

Thanks again!

Honey B)

#4 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

Must agree with Dave W about the Medusa on the beach front at Kalives. The food is to die for, home cooked, never frozen, fresh ingredients all the time. Trouble is it gets busy so best to reserve a table in good time.

PS. I have no connection with the Medusa, don`t own it, run it or have any affiliations with it.

Its just my local Taverna, and its open Fri thru Sunday in the winter. B) :D :D :D

#5 Mapia

Mapia

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:08 AM

Small world! My mothers cousin and his wife were the original owner of Medusa, she did all the cooking. They sold it about 1 1/2 years ago. The name is still the same. It's a nice location. When I was young there was only one taverna on the beach on that side. It was called the Mastrali, it brings back wonderful memories. I'm here in California dreaming of the day I'll be back to Kalives.

Have Fun Honey!

- Mary

#6 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

Mythos,
.....the Medusa is your local taverna? :D Oh, you lucky, lucky so and so. B) And you are going to be able to eat there throughout the winter? :huh: Oh, why, oh why is this world such a cruel place? :D Oh to be able to eat there again this year..... :D
Seriously, we had a great evening there and the humour of Costas helped to make it such an enjoyable evening. :D
You are a very lucky person to be able to consider this taverna your local ;)

Mapia,
I agree with your comment about it being a small world. I hope that your family have been able to enjoy their retirement or have they taken on a new venture?

#7 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

The present owners are Michelle and Michaelis, as Mary so rightly posted the taverna was taken over 1 1/2 years ago.

The waiters now are Dousan (Mornings) and Christos and Paniotis (evenings)

The menu`s have been retained plus additions by the chef Anna.

Tonight for me will be..Fried courgette balls, Pork with celery, washed down with a half kilo of white wine.
Then the Raki and grapes.

Sorry Dave W, only doing this to make you feel bad. B) :D :D :D :huh:

Mary, the Mistrali is still there but next to Medusa is "Ill Forno," mostly Piza`s but they have a great Creten Evening on Sunday with dancers and music.

#8 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

...you rotten so and so ;) Enjoy your meal..I and my family are all extremely jealous of you..and apologies to Christos for getting his name wrong..blame it on too much wine! B) :D :D He would only serve me the one bottle of Mythos as I was driving but changed his mind when my dauther and her boyfriend came along and I told him that they were my chauffeur and secretary :D We all had a laugh then as he thought I was rich with staff and even offered to buy me another beer. :huh: