15 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:28 AM

We were dismayed to read, in an April 2005 post, that self drive boat hire is not possible in Crete.

One of the highlights of visiting the Greek Islands is the availability if self-drive hire to explore the calm waters of Greece; is the costal water of Crete considered too dangerous?

Can we only take a boat trip, or, are there any other options, is it possible charter boat for a day?

After all we will be staying in Sissi – supposedly a ‘Fishing Village’!

Posted Image
Fun loving couple

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

..hey, ho me hearties :P I'm no sailor and my only experience of boats was not a nice one. Anyway, if you have a look on one of the many search engines there do appear to be several that advertise yacht hire. But I'm sure that this course of action was going to be the next one which you navigated. B)
Best of luck and watch out for pirates :D :)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hi
I am sure I have seen boat hire available from a shop in Elounda - I can rember thinking it could be interesting if my sailor brother ever came out for a visit.

I will look more closely next time I go to Elounda.
Kritsa Yvonne

#4 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

Any help would be much appreciated.

We were surprised at Yannis's reply to the Boat Hire question in April 2005:

" 4 Apr 2005, 11:03 PM Post #2

I am afraid that this is not possible

--------------------

Yannis Samatas
webmaster"

We have hired boats in Rhodes, Skiathos, Zante & Santorini. Thought there must have been a ban on hiring boats!

Kind Regards

Jenny & Phil
Fun loving couple

#5 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

Shame you are not anywhere near Chania, Speed boat, water skiing, snorkling and scuba available, fully insured and BWSA affiliated.

#6 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Mick,
In all my travelling I haven't come across any of the sort that you describe, do you think those facilities at Chania are the exception?
It is possible, as I have done it with Yannis- (or rather he has done it with us), to 'hire' a local fisherman to take you out at times (rather than self-hire). We got to Loutro that way in the winter once. Can't beat having the country's best guide with you!

#7 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:22 PM

Yes; "'hire' a local fisherman to take you out at times (rather than self-hire)." is probably THE solution

I'm sure we won't have a problem 'persuading' someone...would have saved time to have organised it in advance

Thanks for your suggestions
Fun loving couple

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:17 AM

Phil,
when you will come to Crete, you will notice that there are not many charter yachts available. However, if you want to enjoy a day out in the sea, then contact my friend Nikos Koutepas at the tourist shop in Sissi and if there is such an option in the area, he will know about it.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#9 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

Hi Yannis,

We wll contact Nikos in Sissi

Thanks for your advice
Fun loving couple

#10 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:46 PM

Hi Jenny, Phil
Posted Image

Hope you don't mind, I had a nose around your photobucket (doctored the link from the image above)

I see you have been to Zante, and I am trying to work out which beach that is in one of the pictures as I have some very good friends from Alikanas.

#11 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:03 PM

Hi Assim,

Yes, we stayed at the Alikanas Beach Resort (or Village - it changed its name) in September 2004

Alikanas beach:

Posted Image

Excellent resort; not too large, not too small

Jenny in the Boat photo was taken in Santorini, September 2005

We usually vist a Greek Island each September, for Jenny's Birthday
Fun loving couple

#12 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

Is the resort one of the new all inclusive resorts? If so did you get out and explored a bit. Alikanas/ Alikes is a little to touristicky for my tastes, but once you get out of the resorts Its a beautiful island, as are all the Greek islands I have visited.

I haven't tried santorini yet what is is like for naturism?

I agree with Yannis (from another thread) that August isn't a good month to go to the islands. I live in Athens and everyone goes away in August. June and September are great months for exploring the islands.

I went to Elofonisos a couple of years ago and there is a nudist beach there, but out of the 3 beaches it was the worst, windy and rough sea. You could go al natural on the other 2 beaches however with no problems.

This is making me miss my holidays now, as I havent been away yet this year B)

#13 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:53 PM

It is probably too late to post this now but The Citroen main dealer in Ag Nik has a 35ft yacht which is certified & insured for day charters. Ask for Manolis, his tel is 28410 24796. Tell him John sent you and I might get a drink!!

Also you can hire "Hobby Cats" from the beach at Mirtos, just west of Ierepetra.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#14 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:09 AM

Thanks, were more into 'fun boats' pity we didn't read this yesterday; we drove to Ierepetra!

Interesting road, or lack of, we took the shortest route through the mountains.

Regards
Fun loving couple

#15 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

Checked out the place to hire/charter boats in Elounda - it looks a big and professional outfit. They operate from a shop on the main high street between the parking area and the road that goes off sharply to big spinalonga.
Kritsa Yvonne

#16 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

Pity we didn't know about the Boat Hire in Elounda, we went there for lunch on the 26th - Jenny's birthday

We did find an EXCELLENT Resturant: the Lotus Eaters the last resturant, at the Blue Palace Resort & Spa end, of Elounda. By far the best food & wine we enjoyed in Crete.

Posted Image
Fun loving couple