15 replies to this topic

#1 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:35 AM

Having celebrated the completion of my first year in Crete, I thought it would be about time to think about getting some health insurance. Considering my age, maybe I should have done that a long time ago, but I'm generally in good health and actually not that much concerned about doctors, medicine, hospitals, etc. - that is of course only till the time comes when you need it here and now. (Knock on wood, hoping it will be a long time!)

Anyway, I had read on 'The Cool Guide to Living in Crete' that a health insurance for an ol' lady like me would be something like 800-900 Euro a year, so I contacted one of the insurance companies suggested in the Guide and asked for an offer. To my surprise the offer was around 2.200 Euro a year - so Carol's information turned out to be a bit inaccurate on that point.

I'm not that interested in going through all the IKA paperwork and consider that the cost of that would in any way not be such a good investment. I'm not even sure that I qualify for IKA being self-employed.

Does any of you out there have any suggestions for an insurance company in Greece that will not rip me off?

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:13 PM

Since you are self-employed, you qualify for TEVE (TEBE in Greek). The cost both for health insurance and pension starts from 200 Euro per month but it gradually increases after the first year. I don't think you can get only health insurance from them and skip the pension part. Your accountant will be able to tell you more about it.

Another option is the private insurance companies, but as you said they can be very pricey. An insurance consultant can guide you about the various options available. There are various of them in Heraklion.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

I wonder Din,

If you still qualify for an insurance from Denmark?

Wim :D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

No, Wim, I don't qualify for anything in DK, when I don't want to stay there and pay 68% taxes then they pretend not to know me at all!! :) I was hoping though that somebody living in Crete already could advise me about which health insurance they use, there must be somebody out there working here as well, or are they all living on old age pension? :D

#5 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

Come on Dinny you know that to cover Antiques is an expensive option :D :) :P

when you get to the age that you need a quote on restoration, you know you only get what you pay for ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,

B) B)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

:D Santano,

You shouldn't taunt a poor defenseless woman like Dinny...

How dare you.

Choose your weapon mate :)

Expat health insurance providers
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:34 PM

"You shouldn't taunt a poor defenseless woman like Dinny" listen here me ol' mate, Dinny is more than capable of defending herself and I should know cos I sat too close to her last May and had a few bruises on my arm to remember her by :P B) B)

as for my weapon................................."RAKI" :D :)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#8 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

Dinny you dont need an insurance in Greece. For not serious health matters just go to a local Doctor and pay cash. Tell them ahead of time that you don't have a medical insurance and ask for an estimate for the visit. For serious matters return to Denmark and upon your return apply for Health insurance there. For serious matters anyhow you dont want to be in a Greek Hospital. Greek Hospitals are Houses of Horror except very few private expensive ones in Athens.

Anyhow you may want to check the following web address :
http://www.medicare....es-benefits.htm

Cheers-Ton

#9 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

Dinny, don't you have an EHIC card (previously known as E111)? My understanding is that this should cover you for most medical treatments anywhere in the EU, you can apply online and it's free! Unfortunately, I've only got the British site bookmarked, which wouldn't be any good to you.

Pam

#10 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

Oh Santo,
How can you compare Dinny to an antique? :) I imagine her to be more like an extremely good bottle of wine, maturing with age, and getting better and better :D :P B)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#11 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

DaveW you should know that Antiques are valued for their "exquisite beauty" are perfectly built with love and of immense value and will also provide a lifetime of enjoyment. :D :) :P

B) B)
Santo

#12 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the links, I will definitely check them out.

As for Santo, I will deal with him on our next "bruise party" here in Crete - May next year, right? B)

Ton, I don't really think this is good advise just to 'let go'. Of course I can go to a doctor for not-serious matters and pay cash, but let's say I get appendicitis - there wouldn't be much time to go back to Denmark and apply for health coverage. I would need to MOVE back to Denmark, where I haven't lived for the last 5 years. I wanted a Greek health insurance to be able to avoid public hospitals in case something serious happened, I am only surprised that the info in "Living in Crete" is so far from reality, and wondered if somebody maybe knew of an insurance company not so expensive as Generali. OK, I'll check the links now, maybe something will come up.

Thanks, everybody :)

#13 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

I use Inter America and at 55yrs of age costs me about €600 per year.

Hope this is some help to you.

#14 tom

tom

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:32 AM

doesn't the E111 suffice, especially in an emergency as a appendicitis

#15 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

Dinny just think about it. The money you save by not paying insurance in 3 to 5 years will buy you 2 appendicitis ops. Insurance busineses are making money out of people's fear of what 'might be happening to them'. Besides if one reads well the insurance policy might discover that the first 100 to 600 Euro/year should be paid by the policy holder. This is what they call yearly franchise fee. The lower the deduction the higher the premium will be. The idea is if u know that u might be visiting a doctor frequently find a good insurance policy which will allow u to visit the right doctor. A cheap policy which will only allow u to see a budget doctor might adversely impact your future health.
Ton

#16 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:10 PM

All I can say is I am glad that my dear departed wife had insurance.

A bill of over €6000.00 is not welcome at any time, especially in times of grief. B) :) :huh: :o