30 replies to this topic

#21 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:27 AM

On 17 September 23.50 hrs we had 27,5 drops of rain, not quite enough to wet the terrace, but at least I saw the spots. Since then, nothing. :unsure: But we have had more clouds than usual in the last few days, then we all start blowing and they disappear up North where they belong. It's getting quite chilly in the morning though, brrrrrrrrrr - maybe I'm just getting up too early!

#22 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

Blowing :unsure:

Must have been quite a joint to make the clouds disappear :unsure:

The only thing left to do after all this rain falling down (Purple?), is to roll another one, just like the first one, yeah... :unsure:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#23 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:15 AM

well i really need to get my proper Greek down, as i am to be moving to Kriti as of next month :D
woo hooooooooo!!!! get dooooooooowwwnnn!!! :wacko:
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#24 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:02 AM

moving? permanent moving?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#25 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:11 AM

Today we are getting our first rain since... when? April I guess. And it's very, very nice! :D The sky is heavy and it looks as if it is going to rain all day, no wind at all to blow the clouds away. It's just sizzling, not pouring down heavily, so it will be very good for the ground and the plants.

The tourists in the 'rent rooms' next door look a bit disappointed, but there is no need to stay at home, with their rent cars they can still have a wonderful day discovering new places instead of just roasting like grill chickens on the beach. :wacko: And I am quite happy with my cozy house and the fortune of having no work to do today, just lazying around inside, maybe take Bella for a walk in the rain, I'm sure she will love it. She seems to have a preference for getting as dirty as possible, so this will be a perfect occasion for her!

#26 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:29 PM

I am wandering if the seas around Crete will be covered with plastic bottles and other interesting objects when the real rain comes. Perhaps the municipality elections will instigate an action to pick up all the garbage from the streets before they end up as welcome presents for the 2007 season tourists.

#27 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

Ton,
No, it won't because Greece is not a 3rd world country and there are city workers who pick garbage from the streets every day of the year. The main problem with garbage is in the countryside, but I am sure things will improve eventually there too.

Dinny,

I hear that you finally got your share of rain down there in the south. It looks like your spell for dry weather is finally over. I am glad :wacko:
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#28 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:36 PM

I wish u were right Yannis but if u drive south from Heraklion to Moires or take any other major road from Heraklion to anywhere you will notice that garbage along the streets make Greece really look like a third world country and I am ashamed of it. Perhaps you might have some addresses where we can file a complain. A recent poll conducted on foreigners asking what are the three things they would like to see be improved in Crete, came up with the following:
1.Clean your island from the Garbage
2.Improve your public toiletes
3.Access to good health facilities in case of emergency.

We have heard the same thing so many times and still we are doing nothing about it.

#29 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:17 PM

Ton,
I cannot disagree with you, especially since I have also mentioned that the main problem with garbage is in the countryside. In the cities, things are very improved compared to the past and they keep getting better.
What is important is that new generations are more sensitive to environmental issues and they avoid to litter in most cases. Unfortunately there will always be those who won't care and a few of them are enough to cause a big harm.
As for good health facilities, I think there are very descent facilities in Crete today. The two university hospitals are modern and well equipped. There are excellent private clinics too. It is a fact that the people of Crete do not need to travel to Athens for serious health problems anymore, as almost everything can be treated in Crete. Today we see people from other areas of Greece coming to Crete for various heatlh problems, like vision correction surgery or chemiotherapy. Why? Because the hopsitals of Crete have earned a descent reputation.
What we still need are smaller hospitals in the areas far from the main cities. I know there is a new one in Sitia and it would be great if there will be another one in the Messara area soon.

I am not the one who will say that everything is perfect in Greece. We face various problems every day and there is still a lot to improve, but is there such a thing as a perfect country somewhere in the world?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#30 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

yes Yianni. moving as in permanently.
i got engaged @ Arolithos this August, and will be getting married next August. so time to move to kriti and make my cretan man happy!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#31 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

Yannis there is going always to be people who do not care. we never can avoid this. The difference between Greece and other European countries is that garbage is collected more often in the other Euro zone countries, and there is also someone who inspects that the job is done. What puzzles me about Greece is that there is always a good answer/excuse to everything. Until we admit that somethings are going terribly wrong and do something about it we keep pasifying ourselves with our history and recent successes in basketball and soccer as welll with bouzouki and Raki...and our modern thyme 'enjoy today tomorrow never comes'.
I don't want to disapoint your view about hospitals in Heraklion but last year I lost my mom in one of them and I really dont think much about them. I just wish I never have to visit one of them. As for the public toiletes I have been in Antalia Turkey and I can say that their public toiletes (specially the ones at the airport) are much better and cleaner than ours. Our mistake for years Yannis has been the fact that we elect the wrong people in important public posts such in Dimos/municipalities out of our personal interests or because of political reasons and not because they deserve to have these jobs. Iam afraid until our mentality changes nothing can be effectively done to attack our social economic problems.