5 replies to this topic

#1 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

I have just read the whole 5 pages of the thread re the proposed container terminal and looked at all the comments beside the signatures on the petition and I must confess that I am a little puzzled.

I can easily understand peoples annoyance and anger at what the Greek government plan to do with their island.

What I cannot understand is that no one seems to care what the British are doing to North West Crete!

Take Lake Kouma for example. It is the only fresh water lake in Crete, it is a beautiful area, like the best of the Lake District in the UK but with proper mountains. Lift you eyes from the water and what do you see? An ugly scar of British holiday homes right across the hillside, built by British property developers and sold almost exclusively to the English. They are built so close together that you have to turn sideways to walk between them. Of course they are all painted brilliant white - just to emphasise them!

I could give many more examples of the desecration of this beautiful Island along the north west coast by my fellow countrymen, but I will simply ask two questions "Why does no one care?" and "Who buys these eyesores?

I live in Eastern Crete, and like many of this forum members also take my holidays on Crete. This year I went, for the first time, to the north west, I was so disgusted by what I saw I went home after 3 days! I sincerely hope that you all enjoy your holidays in Crete more than I did.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

John, actually I think people do care. I am sure I have read a thread, probably on another forum, where people were complaining about this. However, Crete isn't our island and if the local planning authorities allow developments, what can we do?

We certainly wouldn't buy a new build on a development and in fact would prefer to renovate an existing building, but others want to.

Pam

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

John,
I am not sure whether you have read this: http://www.cretegaze.../apokoronas.php
A few people have added their comments to the story and most of them seem to agree with you.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

Thanks, Yannis, that article and it's comments was the one I remember reading complaining about the development in NW Crete and I'm sure I've seen other grumbles elsewhere.

On a lighter note we had a week in Kalimaki last year near to Chania in a holiday let, a pleasant small resort for a short holiday, but not somewhere to live. Most of it is hotels and apartments blocks, but in the middle there was (and I hope still is) quite a big plot with a small old building with an elderly couple living there, tending their goats and chickens and land. This land must be quite valuable for development, but I can only assume they just wanted to see their days out living on their land, and probably their heirs feeling frustrated as they would like to sell up and get the money. While there are people like that, all is not lost.

Pam

#5 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:28 PM

Yannis s

It was because of the article in the Crete Gazette that we decided to take a look for ourselves.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

I'm glad John,

That you came to the same conclusion. Even though this Anthony Hoeve made some points by means of his reaction in the "Crete Gazette".

Wim B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."