#41 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

Posted Image

And read this article in Ekathimerini. Greeks love mobiles but not the Internet tells about their arrear.

I wonder if that has something to do with a language problem. The www lingo is mainly English. Taking part in it is a hassle if you can't communicate.

:lol:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#42 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

Well, I've been a good girl, reading through the whole thread to find the information I was needing: How to connect wireless to the internet during a stay in Crete. I am none the wiser. I have used the links provided to find hotspots updated for Crete and they still seem to be concentrated in the North. Besides, I have no idea about how this wireless stuff works, I love my ADSL connection and don't even own a laptop, so why would I want to know more? Well, that is till somebody asks you to please find out. So I remembered having seen this thread in the forum and thought I would find the answer. Which I am trying to now...

I was told that "you can get a key, so you can connect to the internet from anywhere" - but I recon it does not function if there is no "hotspot" available. Is that right? Therefore, no need to invest any further time on the subject?

(I will check the Skype-link now to see if that would help....)

And a few minutes later:
I won't be able to find out from the jiwire/skype link, since I would have to download the software AND own an iphone to find out whether it works or not...

#43 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:59 AM

If the problem is not so much to use the internet but more to be able to use Skype - would it be enough to buy a "3 Skypephone"???? Would it work from Crete where there are no hotspots? Has anyone tried this?

#44 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

Hi Dinny,

Wireless works just like your mobile phone. The provider gives you a usb stick which you plug into your PC and there you go. If your mobile phone works OK in Komo beach then with this stick you can bring your laptop to the beach and work from there. Rates are similar to having ADSL. The catch is that the providers in Crete can give you a stick with a contract of a minimum 6 months which is not good for me. However there are roumors that they might reduce the period but charging more.

Now the good news for you in regards to skype is that you can install Skype software for free(go to Skype.com and download the software) and then you can talk unlimited time to your relatives in Denmark for free you could even see them live and they can see you live if you both buy a web camera (selling about 30-40 euros). I will help you install Skype and the web camera next time iam around if you like. ;)

Give greetings to Andrea and a pat on the head to Bella.

#45 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hi Ton ;)
If you are on a computer this probably means that you have left again? Why don't I ever get around to seeing you here when you are on vacation? Well, this time it might just be because a friend of mine had more need of my 24/7 attendance due to hearthache problems...
Anyway... as for Skype, I have installed this years and years ago, I can make all my conversations with the whole world whenever I want to, especially since I have got the ADSL connection (before, with ISDN, it was quite "messy") - but right now I have to find out how some Italian friends can stay in touch with their children in China (normally they do it with Skype) during their long stay in Crete. Apparently they can forget about getting connected to the internet through a hotspot... so I wondered whether this fantastic 3 Skypephone would do any good? Does it work when there is no hotspots around?

Take care! The Swiss winter is known to be mercyless! ;-)
Dinny

#46 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

Hi Din,

A hotspot is nothing more than an open or closed wireless ads l connection wit a limited reach. Which means that the wireless router you can connect to is free of charge or, when it is hosted by a professional internet provider like e.g. Otenet, you have to buy a subscription to do so. In both cases you need a laptop because it's mobile, provided with what they call a PMCIA card which you can slide into the side of your laptop. There are also PMCIA cards with an USB connector which can be used both in a desktop and a laptop. When the hotspot is free of charge it is most of the time a service from a hotel or a business. Now we get to the point of having one at home.

When you think that it could come in handy to have yourself a wireless adsl connection at home you can call your provider to provide one. The little box you'll get is called a wireless modem/router and has several entries on the back. One for a lan cable with which you can connect to your desktop, because this one is static so you use a cable to connect to the router, one entry for your telephone (that is why you need an adsl isdn connection. Nine times out of ten your wireless modem/router has two sometimes 3 antennas. Very small, just about 10 cm. These antennas are used to send and receive the signals from and to your laptop in case of a wireless connection. The reach of this wireless connection can range from 50 to 300 mtr. If you want to go professional you might even cover an area from Matala up to Mires. And even further as you have read in my topics. In that case you can become a local provider but that takes some more investing B)

In most countries in Europe you can take a subscription to a provider with, like e.g. Otenet that, covers that country more or less.... In Holland, because its small, we are almost completely covered. I can plug a special PMCIA card in my laptop and connect to the internet wherever I am. You have to install your wireless router and your PMCIA card on your computer to make it work. If you have never done so it could be a bit tricky. It's not something that installs itself automatically. But the manuals help you step by step with it. If the case of the free "hotspot" you can have your installed PMCIA card detect that source and once you are connected you can use your laptop as if you were at home.

Skype uses the broadband connection for its VOIP based telephone connection. That's why its called Voice Over Internet Protocol) it uses the bandwidth of the internet and is only possible with a broadband connection like ADSl.

All Skype telephones use your pc to connect. There is however a new device that makes connection to the internet itself. Here's the link: Skype But I still;

• Indendørs rækkevidde 50 meter, udendørs rækkevidde 300 meter fra basestationen
• Over 10 timers taletid. Op til 100 timers standbytid
• Understøtter SkypeIn, SkypeOut, Voicemail, opkaldsoversigt, status og mange andre Skype-funktioner
• Kontaktliste for Skype og fastnet synkroniseret automatisk med din Skype-konto
• Basestationen kan tilsluttes både til fastnet- og bredbåndsforbindelse
• Telefonhøjttaler af høj kvalitet og stik til headset

*See available countries. Connection fee and fair usage policies apply.

But you probably mean this one: The Skype Mobile Phone 3
But you have to check whether China is in business.

This last line is an add on because I read your mail to Ton after I posted this one.

Hope I've been of some help.

;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#47 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

Thanks, Wim! As always, you have been very thorough when explaining everything. And, yes, the device I am wondering whether it could be useful is the "3 Skypephone", a mobile phone which connects you through Skype and without a PC as base station. I know this phone can be bought in Italy, but still I have no idea whether it will work in Crete... because I still wonder whether it needs a hotspot to "catch" the connection... But I will dig into this and let you know what is the outcome. ;) You never know whether it will be of help to somebody else...

#48 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

Hi Dinny,

You can find all about the 3 Skypephone on this website:

http://www.3skypepho...nish/index.html

I have given you the Danish website but it is also available in several other languages including Italian and English, just put your cursor over the flag in the top right and you will see the others.

Here there is frequently asked questions FAQ which is quite thorough and you will see that you do not need hotspot wireless broadband but just the mobile phone network as long as it it 2G or 3G which it is here. There is plenty of other information on the site as well.

Haven't seen you for ages,

Take care

Ray

#49 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hi Din,

The question was actually; does it work from/to in China and where can I get one? As you probably found out by using the above links there are a limited quantity of countries where they are available.

This link will get you to the skype forum about China

;)

#50 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

Thank you, guys! You have been very helpful indeed. ;)

#51 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Here's some more info about the wireless possibilities in Greece/Crete:Wireless and some info about internet when in Greece for a short stayInternet for visitors in Greece

Seems to be no problem to "leech" a connection B) Since these postings are outdated (about 1 year) I wonder what has changed. For the better of course.

I remember Emma leeching her connection in Athens. This land must be dream for hackers...

:lol:

#52 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:36 PM

just catching up on the forum. My old 3 phone has Skype - never used it but like you assume you do not have to be connected to a pc or internet to use it. As for ISDN - let me tell you what it used to mean in the comms industry - "It Still Does Nothing" xx I'd be interested to know if your skpe phone works also, as I'll take mine too if it does.

#53 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hi Lillian,

If you PM me your Skype name I'll try to connect to you with my smart phone. Skype is also available for those ones as long as Windows Mobile is installed. Mine is a HTC S710.
For members or visitors that have the same or similar one you can download your Skype Mobile software here: Skype 2.2. for SmartPhones

It doesn't use your home connection. E.g. with your PC Skype shut down it still works all right except for the sound quality that seem to suffer from hiccups. It connects by means of WiFi or 3G/Wifi.

Just download it on your pc. When you run the download it settles in your program file and next time you sync your smart phone with your pc it installs itself.
Peace of cake and with about the same taste. Mine was chocolate.

:)

#54 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:33 AM

mmmm chocolate...

"leech" is such a a harsh word but better than "steal"

:)

I was actually impressed how many internet connections I was able to find, more so than in a British city perhaps. Strangely though, Greek businesses seem to distrust or ignore the internet which I found very surprising.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#55 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

Intel has designed a new practical and cheap wifi connection system specially for the remote and rural areas.

Here's the link for those that are interested.: INTEL

HI Emma except this one: Intron it has some nice touristic video in it. (right bar, click to make choice)

#56 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

Found this one in my mail Skype video chat without pc

Think this would do great for pc dummies :D

;)