#21 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

Hi John,

This could be an interesting article about extending the reach etc.

And this one too

Linksys is by far the leading producer of wireless applications

It is possible to let an acces to your WLAN security code. That way only the people you made a deal with are able to connect to your WLAN.

As I understood you're running an open connection that enables "bad"guys to enter your sources. I would'nt do that. They can hack your system at a snap of ones finger.

It is also possible to start a JohnDo WLAN IP. Since it seems that OTENET is the sole provider on Crete?

If so that is against EEG regulations. Their must be competition.

Keep me informed about your adventures..

<_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#22 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

No further info from John.

But you can also try this: www.free-hotspot.com/
and find out if there is one next to your door :( it also has a tab with info about becoming one. Maybe interesting for Dinny? It's a way to make money with your dsl connection...

But there is more. You can also download a JiWire Hotspot Finder for Skype. Its abfab. Once installed it ads a bar in your contacts, you click the text balloon and you get connected to a smart bot which you can ask for hotspots all over the world except for Crete :D

:(
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#23 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:51 PM

I asked the FreeHotspot guys about the possibilities to set up one or a network of FreeHots on Crete.
They are interested so maybe Yannis or ??? can inform them about a local IT ??

It certainly would throw Crete right into the 21th century :(

Hello Wim,

Yes, we can set up a Hotspot for you in Holland – Utrecht I presume? I will get our local Installation Partner to contact you.

As regards Crete, we do not actually have an Installation Partner in Crete – do you know of a local IT company who would maybe be interested in working together with us for installing HotSpots.

Regards.

Fionnuala Ni Bhradaigh.

Sent: 30 October 2007 08:57
To: Free-hotspot
Subject: setting up a free hotspot

Hello,
What are the possibilities to set up a free hot spot here in Holland and in Crete / Greece.?

Thanks for your info,

Wim Aleven
UNQUOTE

:D

#24 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

What a pitty.

Had hoped for some precious reactions about this matter. Because after all who wants to be online using a stationary connection.?

Also Yannis seems on a holiday. Haven't heard from him for years B) and hoped for his expertise and help on this matter.

All I wanted to know is if we can put up a wireless accespoint when living in Crete because their is none avaible in the south, and isn't that the place we all want to reclocate to? Some Day? Imagine yourself lying in your lazy chair (hé John) and doing your stuff without tumbling over the wires.

B)

#25 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

I think Yannis would welcome a holiday Wim. Actually, when I saw him recently he had just had a very brief one in, would you believe, the south of Crete. And one of the relaxing factors of the holiday was that it was out of the reach of computers, indeed for much of the time mobiles were not getting signals.
The absence of some of todays IT enabled us all to relax and enjoy one another's company without interuption for a couple of days.
It wasn't that long ago that we managed quite well without computers and without them dominating our lives, we must ensure they work for us, not us for them.
Can you imagine sitting in a taverna with friends all concentrating on what is going on on their computer screens! It is bad enough when members of ones company spend their time texting.
Thanks but no thanks
Tim

#26 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

Dear Tim,

I absolutely agree with your vision about the ab-use of wireless devices. Being on holiday I would not even think about it to use one, unless of course for obvious reasons such as emergency calls.

The reason however that I advertise for wireless connections is simply the fact that the communication infra structure of Crete would benefit from it. Taken into consideration that, even in the smallest villages, there is at least one telephone line installed then it might as well be used for broadband connections.
Coupling a wireless router to it could simply change the phone connection into a possibility to widen peoples horizon. And again; if they want to . It's got something to do with offering choices.

I was born in 1943 and after the war had ended, and had grown up a bit, my father and grandfather often told me about the thrillingly moments when they listened to the BBC on their "wireless". But the radios in those days were not wireless as you know. So in order to be able to listen they had installed an antenna, on the roof of the house consisting of 50 mtr. of copper wire, and listened in their submerge area which was 9 times out of 10 a small hole underneath floor. (Listening to the radio was forbidden by the Nazis and all wirelesse's had to be handed in. These underground people were called "submergers", something that is not known in the UK for the Nazis never succeeded to cross the Channel. They had forgotten to invest into seaworthy assault vessels. :D People also submerged when the Nazis did their usual raids to pick up labourers for their Fatherland.

It's from those stories that I learned how important it is that people are able to get "free" information about matters that are of importance to them. Take e.g. this "hype" about the Timbaki container harbour. Thanks to the Internet it has been brought to the attention of a wider public, last but not least' I have even been told, to the people in the area concerned. If you would come to the conclusion that Internet has taken over the short wave transmitters, I agree with you. After all you can also attach pictures that can even affect the message.

The conclusion could be that information by what means whatsoever must be possible and free or at least as cheap as possible. Internet and wireless connections are the future of communication also because of the fact that "disasters" and other "human interest" appear on your screen the moment it happens. So far the "useful use" . The "unneedful use" like forums, youtube and other mind changing futility's are great for sleepless nights. Aren't they?

I will again end with your observation, with which I agree 150%, that needing all this on a holiday in Crete is superfluous entertainment since Crete is a lady that offers a lot to invest. With one exception; writing a letter home, if necessary, could come in handy. B)

But the main reason I started this topic is because next year I hope to relocate to Crete and since I need my PC on a daily base, staying connected to the Internet for about 24 hrs. daily, I need all the info and possibilities I can get about staying connected. With the side effect that maybe there are even some forum members who appreciate it. B)

#27 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

When I was in Crete recently I was encouraged by the large number of internet cafes. However, if this is because wifi and broadband connections are difficult to achieve, then I'm not so impressed.

It seems to me that in an area where many people are unemployed for 5 months of the year and dependant on the tourist industry, then high-speed internet connections can only be of benefit to remote communities. The educational benefits alone are immense and many small businesses rely on the internet. It seems to me that a communal village wi-fi connection would be ideal for many reasons and help to share the cost of a new infrastructure.

However, I don't know enough about the security side of it. I appreciate that an unsecured connection is not advisable but maybe there can be passwords to allow known users onto the network?
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#28 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:39 AM

Apparently it is possible to secure your network but allow people access via a MAC number to your router. This security number can be changed as often as the adminidtrator likes so it possible to have a secure network but allow access to people you know.

Hope this is useful info.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#29 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:33 AM

Hi Wim
I wouldn't argue with the case for all having access to IT services but do they need to be wireless? Any great need for internet access can be met with lines for private homes, and an internet cafe for those without home lines.
You ask who wants to be connected via a stationary line. Well that suggests a strong chance of using the connection in the company of others, will those who use such services in public take into consideration the effect on those around them. The example of mobile phones suggests not.
I guess I am a bit old fashioned and, whilst enjoying the benefits of much modern IT, still questions some of the need for some applcations. (I do welcome MP3s and the like though, the days when some people had great big stereo players on their shoulder blaring out music were a nightmare !)

#30 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Tim

A communal wireless connection could spread the cost of a fixed line or boradband connection amongst several people or homes, thus enabling some people to have internet access who may not be able to bear the cost of a private connection.

As for internet cafes, I wouldn't like to use a shared computer as who I talk to online is my business. Also, cafes aren't open 24 hours a day!

A wireless connection doesn't necessarily mean people are accessing their laptops in the village square but it could mean access in a village community centre in areas to remote for internet cafes to consider opening a business.

How do schools use the internet? Does anyone know? In the UK I think all are online and allow students some access.

#31 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

Emma
I accept all the points that you make - but make a couple of observations.
I am of an age who well remembers that life existed before computers and believes it can do so in spite of them (even though I use one to answer you!)
Certainly is does not necessarily follow that if you give people the chance to use laptops 24 hours a day and anywhere, they may not chose so to do. Unfortunately the example of mobile phones suggest that many (too many) users will use them regardless of where they are or who they are with.
I repeat, enjoying the company of friends whose attention was not distracted by eletronic gadgets was an absolute delight.
I recognise though that resisting the advances of IT is something of a Canute like past time!
Thats Life!
Tim

#32 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

I appreciate your concerns Tim.

I'm always horrified by families who never eat a meal together at the table or watch tv while eating!! However, in the right context I think wi-fi can be of enormous benefit. Mind you, like you say, I can think of nothing worse than people in tavernas hunched around a laptop and not talking! Will just have to hope it's used in the right way. At least with access and limited broadcast range, it won't be a free-for-all.

#33 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

In order to keep this thread vivid and not outdated I'll paste Googles survey on a WiFi network they installed in Mountain View, CA

This Google Blog with all its insights can be of interest for our members who are interested in this subject and the future of communication on Crete.

Get Unwired :D But stay sociable...

;)

#34 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

I had a look at the couple of links you provided, Wim, to search for wifi hotspots and although there are some in Crete, they appear to be based mostly in hotels. Also, I think there may be a charge to use them.

Interestingly, Starbucks seem to have wifi so I may investigate their charges and see if they can be transferred between towns and even countries.

Has anyone used internet cafes in Crete? Just wondering whether they tend to have fixed connections which force you to use their pcs, or if they have woreless routers which would allow me to use my laptop?

But there is more. You can also download a JiWire Hotspot Finder for Skype. Its abfab. Once installed it ads a bar in your contacts, you click the text balloon and you get connected to a smart bot which you can ask for hotspots all over the world except for Crete

Where is this please? I can't find it on Skype.

#35 Nick

Nick

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

I have a very good and absolutely free connection...

My neighbour has OTE - Connex adsl and im taking from him for free!!!

#36 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

:o

Thief!!!

:) Do you mind if I pop round for a quick visit while I'm in Crete?

Forthnet have a deal with Starbucks and a few other places where you can pay 6 euros for 2 hours net connection at wifi spots, or 14 euros for 24 hours. it's 21 euros for a monthly subscription but I'm only travelling for a month so I guess I'll muddle through

#37 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

Nick,

There is a rather big danger that your neighbour peeps into your PC, since this is a PC to PC connection without any security precautions at all. As they say; you got your backdoor wide open and so has your neighbour.

Just hope there are no hackers in your area because before you know your PC is a zombi.

And Emma, did you read the whole topic, nothing but the topic so help you God?
Did you visit: http://www.jiwire.com/ and did you read on to get to: http://www.jiwire.co...ot-download.htm

:)

#38 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

I had a look at the couple of links you provided, Wim, to search for wifi hotspots and although there are some in Crete, they appear to be based mostly in hotels. Also, I think there may be a charge to use them.

...at the risk of quoting myself...... :) That's how I found out about the Starbucks deal with Forthnet. There's a schools network as well but I couldn't find any obviously free public hotspots.

Thanks for the link to the skype thing though because I didn't see that. Although it does occur to me that it's pretty useless if you can't get an internet connection in the first place.

Found you on skype by the way.......now who's peeping?

#39 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

This one is for you M.

The mouse

:)

#40 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

For all those who go and live in Crete, not the ones who just stay there for a holiday :lol: here's all the info you want about Internet In Greece.

A/DSL in Greece/Crete

Mark Ote stalling dsl in favor of the expensive dial up connection....and other crap. But things seems to be changing...

Please comment with your experiences....e.g. the quality of covering mobile broadband etc.