55 replies to this topic

#1 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

For the people who want to be (stay) connected on line, there is this clever hot spot finder that searches the avaible hot spots.

The search in e.g. the Chania area came up with a remarkable 12 hot spots.

This link is the locator: JiWire
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

........and I thought that all of Crete was a hot spot in August!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Sorry Wim. Thanks for the link but I won't be looking to communicate with the outside world whilst on the island. I try to avoid the news on Sky and look the other way while passing the newspaper shops. The world has ended? Sorry, I hadn't heard!!!!! :P
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, right you are Dave!

But for people on business in Crete and those who want to stay in touch with home it can be a sort of help.

What I merely wanted to say is that for an island like Crete there are not much hotspots. For this mountainess island it could offer a great advantage with respect to the cabled ones.

Wireless connections are the future for connecting to the www. I, e.g. am sitting on a sunny terrace in Scheveningen at the moment, drinking a frappe and writing this mail :)

It gives a lot of freedom :rolleyes:

Be free :P
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

ah Scheveningen, I have many childhood memories of the place as we lived in Dortmund during the 60's (that's 1960 DaveW not 1860 !!!!) and knew people that lived there so spent almost every weekend on the beach, in fact i still have a cine8 film of my building sandcastles and visiting the minature village also de eftaling ???? no sure if i spelt it rights Wim :rolleyes:

WOW time does fly :P :) ;)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

Ha Santo,

That's great! Scheveningen has changed in the meantime though, and I think that the little town you mentioned must be "Madurodam". That one has expended and got a beautiful new "Dutch" entrance complete with dikes, waves etc.

Especially for you to celebrate your birthday!!! and to remeber your age, a pic :rolleyes:

Attached Files

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

Hi Phil and Jenny,

Greece/Crete has not much "hotspots".
Crete has only got 13 and they're all in the vicinity of Iraklion.( I made a mistake by writing the Chania area)

You can search for> Country (Greece) >Region (Iraklion) >Enter. The result is 13 hotspots in this area (result for the whole of Crete). There seem to be no more regions with "hotspots". Though I found some spots in Chania by just typing Chania>Greece>Enter

Sissi is situated in the Lassithi region which is not mentioned in the search bar (probably because there are none).

There is still a possibility that the hotel you booked has got it's private wireless connection. I would check that one out. There is a (little) chance they provide one. And if they don't they've probably a wired one.

I posted this link from JiWire because I think it's about time that Crete as an important holiday resort starts working on this phenomena for people who want (must) stay in touch with home/work. Like you do.

Kalo taxidi !!!

(Answer to their private message) <_<

#7 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

For the members who want to be/stay informed about internet connectivity, (in Greece/Crete) here is a link that could keep you up to date.
Especially for those members who live on Crete (or are going to) or the ones that'll stay for a more substantial time.
For our Cretan friends it's also interesting to know what their possition is qua connectivity to the www.

Stay/get connected.

#8 SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

tnx Wim, the 'wireless' link will come in very handy some day, cause I sometimes take my laptop to Crete indeed.

SC
time isn't money, it's precious !

#9 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

O.K. SuzyCreamCheese,

thanks, though this topic is about wireless connectivity I also think that knowing the possibilities to connect yourself to the www in Crete is even more significant. I hope by means of this topic to get more info (about the developments) from the members who live there.

Wim B)

P.S.
Just for the records. If time is precious which connotation do you mean :D :

precious [precious || 'preʃəs] expensive; valuable, priceless; beloved, dear; affectedly delicate, overly refined

#10 SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:39 PM

P.S.
Just for the records. If time is precious which connotation do you mean :biggrin :
precious [precious || 'preʃəs] expensive; valuable, priceless; beloved, dear; affectedly delicate, overly refined

Well Wim, you never know the value of water until the well runs dry B)
time isn't money, it's precious !

#11 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:48 PM

:D Suzy,

You should rename yourself "Sibyl" or "Pythia"

Lamia B)

The pic is Michelangelo's rendering of the Delphic Sibyl

Attached Files

#12 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Nothing much has changed yet.

This is the latest situation about wifi on Crete.

Still wondering what is happening on our island regarding this development and the one called ADS L.
Any pioneering developments yet?

Has Explore Crete a wifi connection on the island yet. Yannis?

:lol:

#13 tom

tom

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

To get back to the original subject.
I found a hotspot in Neapoly it's from the internet cafe at the corner on the main plaza.
the Chamber of Commerce has a free WI Max hotspot that can be received over most of Ag Nic.
however after a certain capacity it gives an error msg, and on of the two internet caf&eacute;s in 28 octovriou street in Ag Nic has an wi-fee.
Last month I got the idea that Kritsa had a free Wi-Max, I got a reception of 5/5 called free-public-wifi. But when I got the same at home I found out that it was a strange hick up of my PC, that I hadn' experienced before.
Any body else knows any free wi-fi in the Ag Nic area?

#14 David and Glenda

David and Glenda

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:18 PM

You all seem to be talking about hotspots, so what is the situation re wireless connections in the home provided by a Cretan ISP - what's involved - and how long for a telephone connection to be installed ?
I'm talking here in regard to our paert-time home in Skopi.
Regards
David
Skopi used to be a nice place til we arrived

#15 tom

tom

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

Hi,

We got, awaiting an ADSL, an OTE telephone connection in Kritsa in 2 days after the application.
The told us that the all the ADSL ports (30) were taken, but garanteed that there would be new ones in 20 days. When I did more or less in a joking fasion express my unbelief on those 20 days (avrio :o ), more staff in the OTE office assured me that it would be within a month.
This was in July, I let you know in 3 weeks if we have ADSL, that's how long we have to wait to be there again.

#16 David and Glenda

David and Glenda

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

Ta very much,
One more item I'll need to sort out when we go next weekend - which ISP are you signing up with and what are the costs?
Regards
David
Skopi used to be a nice place til we arrived

#17 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

Please have a look in the "Living in Crete" topic, "how to" for creating a phone line.

I wrote an extensive thread about that one with links etc.

Use the "search" button it's there for free :o

Actually this thread is about wifi connections in Crete and am still hoping for interesting developments.

E.G. who of the members has installed a wireless router/modem to his a dsl connection and what is the reach of it so that other people in the village can also make a use of it ( a small contribution would make it priceless. I you use a strong wireless router (there are a lot them on the market) you can even provide a whole village with a connection. Still depending on the capacity of the providers connection of course.

Good luck.

B)

#18 john4d

john4d

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:32 PM

Hi Wim

I am wireless using the equipment provided by Otenet which is a speedtouch. I have to say that it barely covers my house let alone a wider area. However I have left it "open" so if anyone can use it they may.

John

#19 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:55 PM

Hi John,

Which Speedtouch (Thompson) model did they install? Is it a isdn one? Usually these modem routers have a limited range.

There are possibilities though to enhance it's capacity and/or even install another modem/router with better specifications.

:o

#20 john4d

john4d

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hi Wim

Yes ISDN Speedtouch 585i v6

It came in the subscription package I bought from otenet.

John