• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

I think probably this is a time of sea change for air travel. I can see a few airlines and holiday companies going under. The big question is going to be "is the trip worth the hassle", more often than in the past the answer will be 'not anymore' I suspect. It is not just a question of security either. I was looking at flights yesterday and see that the fuel surcharge is creeping up with some companies now charging 40 extra for Crete flights. The security charges will be bound to go up, currently around 12.00. Many are squeezing every penny they can from you, tickets on departure charges, sitting with your travel partner charges and meal charges. What next? Whilst people may put up with all the added inconvenience and cost for special trips, I suspect they will not for the casual opportunities.
I feel sure that the airport franchises will come up with some way of staying in business, perhaps any goods purchased will have to go in sealed bags. (I don't think purchases are allowed on flights at this time of hightened security).
On the brighter front, I have brought back olive oil and raki in my hold luggage and it has survived. I am not sure I would want to risk it if the camera was in there with them though!
Whilst the main threats are against British and US airlines, there is bound to be some effect upon other nationality carriers. Long term, I don't see air travel improving much until our foreign policy changes!

#22 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:11 PM

This topic makes me very thirsty!

If you don't yet know the story behind the raki (tsikoudia) than this is an interesting link.

Tsikoudia(raki)

Lessen your thirst :)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#23 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:46 PM

Last year , I took some sea water home in a plastic bottle in my suitecase
; ofcourse at that time too I was taken out the line and kindly asked to follw
the officer -she-she was , found the 1/2 l bottle and wanted to know if it was raki . She did not understand -and belive- that it was sea water, to prepare
homeopatic medicine.
They took it avay , after checked I got it back :)

So they did not really liked if I took raki ( homemade )
András