22 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:45 PM

I read in a forum on another site that it is illegal to bring home-made raki out of Crete. :angry: Does anyone know if this is correct? :) I don't want to have a criminal record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

Well if you do get one Dave you won't be alone !
Tim
;-)

#3 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:26 PM

No no you will for sure not be alone.
I am already a criminal( driving too fast) and will continue to be a criminal if bringing home some home-made raki is what it takes.
I am even taking part in producing my raki and maybe that will send me to prison if your thoughts are correct.
When I pass the checkpoint at Chania airport I always explain the pictures of my bottles on the screen and every time the personal tell me that raki is good medicin.
I would not worry too much DaveW! as a matter of fact not at all.
By the way who is asking what is in your bottles?
Keep bringing and using that marvelous Cretan medicin, it is great!
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#4 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:54 AM

Dave,

When you say “out of Crete” do you mean to other countries or to other parts of Greece?

“Home made” raki is sold in bulk in Athens in Cretan produce shops, so getting raki out of Crete it does not appear to be a problem. But generally, raki is legally produced only by producers that have a licence to do so, for a specified quantity, that includes an allowance for raki for their own personal consumption. Proving that your raki comes from such a source would be rather difficult. With that much raki of an unspecified source around it would be hard to prove that what you have t was legally produced and bought legally. So having “Home made” raki may be a breach of some laws, but nobody seems to care, so just drink it and be merry!

Taking “Home made” raki onboard with some airlines is against their rules which prohibit the carriage of either unsealed bottles of alcohol or bottles with unspecified liquids. So there is a problem there. Importing alcoholic drinks into some countries that do not meet their food standards is again illegal, and you will have a problem in convincing customs inspectors that your “Home made” raki does meet their standards. So again you have a problem there.

Carrying a plastic bottle of Crete Mountain water, filled with crystal clear raki is one option, but again may put you into trouble if caught! I have been doing that for years and I still have not been asked of what is in the bottle!

But living dangerously is such a sweet thing, so why don’t just do it and enjoy it, and if caught, just claim ignorance. But the ultimate in living dangerously and enjoying your “Home made” raki, is, as Lars said above, producing your own raki in your home country, while dreaming of Crete!

Yammas!

#5 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

I found out from a poster in the arrivals lounge at Manchester airport on my return home from Crete a couple of years ago that you're not supposed to bring honey back! It's on the banned list along with meats, cheese and plantlife.

What confused me though was that I bought it in the duty free at Heraklion airport.....
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#6 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:45 AM

.....oh well. I suppose the answer is to drink plenty of bottled water. I remember seeing a documentary on TV a while ago where a West Indian brought a bottle of water back with him to the UK and lo and behold a miracle! When the Customs stopped him at Heathrow, or wherever, it had turned into white rum!!!!!! It was hysterical to watch him trying to persuade the Customs guy that it was either a miracle or someone had switched bottles! I'll have to read up on miracles..........................................I wonder if they'll believe that one of those 35 litre water bottles from work is for personal consumption???????????????// :D :angry:
Oh, by the way...3 weeks today and I'll be waking up to look over Suda Bay....yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D :)

#7 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

I am taking part in raki making in a small Cretan village and that is very relaxing and interesting.
Good friends, good food, lots of stories told and if that is living dangerous I would be dead by now.
We passed this village many tears ago and stopped the car just to look.
What happens? Of course we were invited to share what was on the table. We got back to Chania almost in the middle of the night after a fantastic evening. No we did not have to walk back, the driver was still sober, almost to 100%???

many tears ago??? In a way but it should of course be many years ago.
Sorry about that!
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#8 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

Dave,in my humble opinion,it SHOULD be elegal NOT to bring any Raki back with you!! :D

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

....a man after my own heart!!! But perhaps my thread should have been called 'illegal to bring home made raki INTO the UK'. It probably isn't agai'n the the law to export it from Crete :) but it may be to import it into the UK. :D
Comments would be appreciated..........

#10 Minotaurus

Minotaurus

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:43 AM

Ask at your custom control at the aerport. In Austria I get a folder with all limited amounts. Alkohol (>40%) : limit from 1 liter (not kg!).
Xerete

#11 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:00 AM

I think Yorgos has it right: If it's illegal (even though nobody care about it) to produce homemade raki without a license, then it is naturally also illegal to export it. Like in Sweden it is illegal to make homemade snaps, and of course even more so to buy it or take it out of the country. I guess it is all about the authorities wanting to earn the taxes which are always put on alcohol.

#12 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

Dinny,
raki is not produced illegally. The producers do not need a license, but the owner of the distiller gets a license from the police each year.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#13 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Sorry Yannis but I believe that, by definition, raki produced without a licence, or in breach of the parameters of a given licence, is raki that has been produced illegally. There is extensive legislation covering both quality aspects and licensing issues and any material breach of this legislation results in a product that would fit the description of it being illegal.

Given the recent reductions in licences granted, and reductions in quantities licensed for production there would be some raki in the market place that has been produced illegally. And that does not include the illegal imports from Bulgaria and other Balkan countries, as reported in the local press and mentioned in the Greek parliament.

The point that I am trying to make here is that drinkers of the “Cretan sunshine” need to be a bit careful from where they get their supplies from.

Yammas!

#14 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

OK, if we look at how this is done in other countries, the owner of a license to produce alcohol has to put small label sealings on the bottles to prove it is a legal product made under license, right? These labels normally corresponds to the tax amount paid for the product. I have right now checked a bottle of Metaxa I have, and there is no such label. How do I know if this Metaxa is produced legally? Well, there is a number printed on the bottle, that might be it.

How DOES one prove in Greece that f.inst. a bottle of raki is produced under license and therefore legal?

Certainly not by filling it in left-over water bottles - in my village we call it "Pitsidia Water". I'm puzzled....

#15 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:40 AM

Raki is produced for home consumption, therefore it doesn't need to be bottled because it is not allowed to be sold. However, various producers sell their raki, even if this is illegal. It is similar case wit olive oil. Many families in Crete produce their own olive oil for the needs of their families. It is not meant to be sold for profit, so it doesn't need to be labelled. This does not apply however to olive oil which is bottled and sold by various smaller or bigger companies.
If you visit a supermarket in Crete you will notice that they sell bottled raki only, with all labels and license numbers.
As for Metaxa brandy, that you mention, there is no way that you can buy it illegally. It is a well-known brand and every bottle is properly labelled and legal.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#16 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

......so this means that I was OK to bring both my 5 litre container of olive oil and my 1.5 litre bottle of 'water' back as they were gifts from my family? :D Great!. Thank Heavens there appeared to be no weight restriction on the way back!!! :) I of course will not be bringing anything back next month that is not allowed by Customs, :angry: especially cigarettes that I understand are going to have quite a hefty increase in tax placed on them.

#17 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

Last month, a young lady in the Lasithi Plain gave us a bottle of wonderful raki made by her grandfather. I had every intention to bring it back to the states. When we were packing and ready to head to the airport, I noticed the cork did not fit well and raki was leaking in my carry on bag. I didn't have time to deal with the leak so I reluctantly left it behind! :D

I would love to find some as good in the states but I'll bet it is not available. Too bad.......

Jeff

#18 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

Oh Jeff,
What a tragedy! What a shame that you didn't notice until it was too late. :D Still, never mind, obtaining some more it is something to look forward to the next time you visit. :angry:
I had the same problem with some olive oil that I brought back in a bottle but didn't notice untill we got home. I now try to avoid bottles with corks from both home made supplies and retail shops, and look for screw tops. I am quite a sad person as I also take with me a small reel of plumbers tape. This has proved invaluable. It is a small reel of very thin white plastic type material that plumbers use to wind around the thread on a screwed joint if they can't get a good enough seal. The plastic tape fills the thread and makes a waterproof seal, when whatever is threaded onto it. It is marvellous for putting around screw top bottles!!!!
The other option, rather than leave it there was, to drink the raki, although this would probably have meant you missing the rest of the day as well as the flight.................. :)
Change of subject now folks.......sorry, off track again.........................
Jeff, I think that I have put some pics of the air base in my gallery if you want to have a look. It is in a very poor state of repair now. Hopefuly it will get better if and when the site is developed.

#19 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:54 AM

...I was amazed by the news this morning about the new luggage restrictions on flights out of the UK.

Have they really thought this through? I mean, how on earth are those who bring large bottles of 'water' back from Crete in their hand luggage suppose to cope? :) Do they realise that there will be an increase in stress levels during the winter months in northern Europe as people look back on their summer hols and dream longingly of that warm trickle down the back of the throat?

On a more serious note......in view of the reports about the nature of the devices, I suppose that it will make air travel safer. In fact, thinking about it, it will be quite nice to leave ALL the luggage at the check in and not stagger around like a mule :P. And won't it be nice to get on a plane without all those parcels and 'small' bags(that should obviously be in the hold 'cos they are too big) fighting for space in the overhead lockers?

But is it right that you cannot take on books/magazines/MP3 players and the like? Oh, please airlines provide some sort of entertainment for the children or ear defenders for the adults! :)

#20 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

When I heard about this panic-situation yesterday I was actually thinking about you, Dave, on how it will now be impossible for you - and anybody else - to bring back these water bottles... I am glad that I have decided to go by car next time I'm leaving - hopefully the ferry companies will not have the same insane ideas as to what you may bring aboard!

But what about all the stuff you buy in the airport shops then? Will you be allowed to take that on board as handluggage? Can't see all these new restrictions will make much of a difference. If 'they' want to get it onboard, 'they' will find a way anyhow!