29 replies to this topic

#21 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:01 AM

hmmm...no one seems to have read or understood my comments and the lack of response on the forum seems to confirm what was saying

drive the forum

two years ago ths was a vibrant place, it's dormant now
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#22 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

I am sure two years ago there were people complaining about the forum, exactly as you do now...
I am also sure that two years later, the same complaints will be repeated as well...
I believe the forum is doing fine and it is as vibrant, as the latest security measures allow. If guests were allowed to start new threads without becoming registered members first, there would be a lot more messages here. Unfortunately, this is not possible anymore due to the increased number of spammers that try to flood every forum with their junk messages.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#23 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

I, too think the forum is fine, perhaps a little quieter than normal, but then people are on holiday enjoying Crete, rather than just writing about it.

Yannis, apologies for not contributing the the review section, but I tend to forget the names of places we visit especially bars and tavernas and I feel descriptions such as "little taverna to the left of the fork in the road up a flight of steps" would not be of help to people - but will try to keep a note of names next year and post a couple of reviews.

#24 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:32 PM

.................I also tend to forget the names of the bars and taverns I have vizzzitedddddd on ockassionz.......hic....... :rolleyes:
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#25 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:03 AM

Oh Dave B) :blink: :unsure: :o :rolleyes:

surprised you manage to remember anything mate "go iawn"
<_<
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#26 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:37 AM

That's why he keeps coming back over and over again.... :rolleyes:

Oh sh...!!! Are we off-track AGAIN???? <_<

#27 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

....w
............................. a
............................................. y

.................................. o......................................
..................................................................f
................................................................................
.............f

.................but do we care????????????????????????????????????????????? :rolleyes: :unsure: <_<
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#28 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

Henry seems to feel that the forum tends to be something like a restricted area for a handful of people knowing each other (this apparently due to the joking between us) and I would be sorry if this is the impression we give newcomers. But I honestly don't feel that we (intended as the frequent flyer's here) are giving this impression to other people just joining. Actually, I think everybody is given a warm welcome when they approach the forum. Still, I'd like a forum which I read every day to be cozy and friendly, I like the ping-ponging between us, even if it's sometimes (ehrm, most of the times) not very serious. The problem, of course, is that sometimes we get SO totally off track considering the title of the topic that some might find it frustrating.
UNQUOTE

Off track :rolleyes: No way <_< We're right on, humor oblige n'est pas :unsure:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#29 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

Henry seems to feel that the forum tends to be something like a restricted area for a handful of people knowing each other (this apparently due to the joking between us)

Well, some of the threads - by now including this one - bears more resemblance to a chatroom than to a forum, IMHO. Nothing against chat rooms (I used to be fairly regular on the ExploreCrete's chat line), where the ping-ponging is immediate and seen by the relevant people.

It's all good innocent fun, for sure. But for anybody who wants to go back and look for information in new or old threads, all these in-jokes (that can only be the remotest little bit amusing if you are aware of the persons involved) cannot be entirely helpful.

Call me a BOF (you wouldn't be the first), but all these constant 'references' to Dinny's nationality (see, I can do it too - jeg kan skam ogsaa), to Raki and getting a tad inebriated and so on - to be absolutely honest, these jokes have surpassed their sell-by date: I just don't think that that joke is particularly funny anymore.

But I honestly don't feel that we (intended as the frequent flyer's here) are giving this impression to other people just joining.

It isn't just the people who are just joining, of course. It is also all the others who browse, and for whatever reason do not join. Talking about frequent posters: I'm sorry if you guys should consider me humourless (or perhaps I'm not so sorry), and although I have been here for quite a while, I am seriously lacking in postings this year when compared to some of you 'frequent flyers'.

Actually, I think everybody is given a warm welcome when they approach the forum.

Maybe some new posters take references to have done some Googling before they ask their questions here in the wrong way, and maybe they don't, Wim. Joking in general, and sarcasm in particular, can be difficult to convey in this medium.

Anyways, I'm not really complaining. I still enjoy ExploreCrete, I still get a lot of my longing nourished by these pages, I trust Yannis implicitly to continue to do a fantastic job, and if you young guys (i.e those who have only joined recently) will excuse me, I shall continue to try to restrict myself in my not too frequent postings to something I believe could be relevant to anybody who happens to be reading, not just to literally a handful of people. No offence intended, just an expression trying to convey that of course we are all different.

Finally: I have no view about whether the Forum should be split or not. I am perfectly happy to leave that to Yannis.

Henry.

#30 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:11 PM

FORUM;
city square or market, place of assembly, place for conducting official business (in acient Rome); court, place where discussions are held; message board on the Internet focused on a particular subject (e.g. computers).

SARCASM;
satire, irony, use of caustic or scornful remarks.

CHATROOM;
Internet site for real time on-line conversations.

So now I know I'm a sarcastic chatter on this forum. :D

Stay tuned :)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."