#1 Cherrybabe71

Cherrybabe71

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

Hi All!

Just joined on this site , as I am about to make my first trip ever to Crete.

I´ll be flying in from Sweden to Crete late on the 1st of July and be staying til 8th.

In that time I am planning on setting up some kind of travelplan and to decide what to do while there.
I am interested in culture, shopping and also want to do at least one walk.

Would of course also enjoy the night life at least one night with dancing and perhaps just some tavernas the othere nights.

Anyone that might want to go on walk with me or do Knossos togethere at this time??

/Yvette
Live Your Best life-Everyday!

#2 Cherrybabe71

Cherrybabe71

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

Just checking in to see if there is anyone that was interested ... But no answer still! <_<

Well... Ill have agreat time anyway, but I am still open to meeting new ppl... man or woman .. doesnt matter ..just make new friends!

Attached Files

#3 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:28 PM

Well, I'm afraid I won't be there, but I can certainly recommend the Samaria Gorge walk.

Have a great time, Henry.

#4 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:36 PM

Cherrybabe71, it might help if we knew roughly where your going to stay............. but certainly Henry's suggestion is a must do. <_< :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#5 Cherrybabe71

Cherrybabe71

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

Thnaks for the advices!
I&acute;ll be flying in to Chania and will be placed somewhere around there, do not now where yet as i will not know until I am at the airport......but I planned on having an active holiday and go around some on crete.
Either rent a car or a vespa.

I was thinking about the gorges so that a very good tip for me! How long /far is that walk?

Do any of you know where it&acute;s cheap to a rent car or a vespa?

read about horsebackriding too in geourgiopolis somewhere , and thought that could be cool to do .. as the beginner I am on a horseback!

Would also want to know about markets that are good and maybe not too packed with tourists, with spices and other nice small things.
Also pottery and jewelry would be interesting.

Saw that there are boatrips to Santorini.. was considering one but do you have any experience about that? or can you rent or do other boattrips that are a bit shorter?

Thank you all so much for your replies!!
Really appreciate them!

Love /Yvette

Attached Files

#6 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

Samaria gorge will take around 5 hours, have plenty of water. B)

Car hire i've sent a PM with a contact name.

Santorini would be ideal as there are many booking agents nearby to where you stay that can get you tickets for the ferries, be aware that it will cost you 43 euros each way for the fast ferry (takes around 1 1/2 - 2 hours), other ferries are cheaper but their travel time is also longer so you may need to decide which is best for you. <_< :rolleyes:

if you go geourgiopoli then you must also go to Lake Kournas which is not far from there. :rolleyes:

I'm jealous that your going there and i'm here, but have a great time.
:D :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#7 Cherrybabe71

Cherrybabe71

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:21 AM

Santo!
Thank you ever so much for your useful advices and tips for me! It&acute;s very appreciated indeed!

Since it&acute;s my first trip to Crete I am so happy for any information i get and i must say that this site have been very helpful!

The forum as well as the articles have been nice to read!

It&acute;s nice to know there are nice people in the world!!

All LOVE
Yvette

Attached Files

#8 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

Just to clarify an item from Santo's earlier contribution: the Samaria Gorge walk itself typically takes four to five hours (take water and some fruit, you can refill your water bottle on many locations during the walk), but due to lack of any road connection at Aghia Roumeli (at the end of the gorge) you are talking about a whole day, starting early, and getting back to Chania (if that's where you started from, on a bus/coach) in the early evening.

I frequently suggest staying in Paleochora for a few nights, and do the gorge from there. Then you have the great experience of sailing 'home' after a day's good work, and the cold beer (or whatever) tastes even better!

Henry.

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

Although the Samaria gorge is a must for loads of people, I found and enjoyed the Imbros gorge just as enjoyable, if not more so because there weren't so many people walking it. Unlike the Samaria there are no places to refill your water bottle. I started the walk from Imbros and walked back up the gorge later that day to return to the car which was quite fun as you saw lots of people coming down the gorge on organised trips, the majority of them without enough water and with inadequate footwear. If you do decide to 'do' a gorge then let someone know the rough time you will return, in case you do slip/turn an ankle. I personally would prefer to rent a car as we hear all types of horror stories about accidents involving tourists on scooters.
Although it is your first trip to Crete, I'm sure that you'll have a great holiday and that it will be the first of many visits as you fall under the spell of this fantastic island and its people. Enjoy your holiday and as Dinny has said let us know all about it.
I have just read the rest of your 'posting'. If you are staying in Chania then the covered market in the centre of the city is a must. There are some characters working here, especially on the fish stalls. But there is also an open market on a Saturday quite close to the main market and here they sell frut and veg that you can only dream about. I'm sure that you'll find more details on any site about Chania.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#10 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:52 PM

Cherrybabe71 :rolleyes:

Are there really 71 like you <_<

With you I'd like to walk the whole of Crete and vice versa :rolleyes: that is if the pictures you attached aren't fake...or worse, 30 years old B)

O.K. that's enough fun.
There is tap on the homepage, sports-activities, where Yanni has put in a lot of interesting hiking/walking/sporting activities.

Have a lot of fun and forget about high-heeled shoes...
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#11 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

Wim you really must get out more often B) :D :D all those students have got to you !!!!!!!! I'm surprised you did'nt offer to walk on your knees <_< :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Santo

#12 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:30 PM

I'm sure Santo, you did'nt see my knees <_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#13 Cherrybabe71

Cherrybabe71

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

yes Vim!

All pictures are me!! A curvy nice lady...

The ones with dark hair are more recent (20th of june) then the others(last summer) since I dyed it dark!!
i never intended someone to walk on their knees because of them but now that it&acute;s been mentioned I might like it!! LOL :rolleyes: <_<

I thought pics are a good way to get to know more about someone and see how they look is always nice , then you get a better idea of who they are... at least in my opinion!

So post your pics here so i can look at you all! :rolleyes:

Lots of Love!

Yvette

And also thanks for all your nice comments everybody!!

Attached Files

#14 Cherrybabe71

Cherrybabe71

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

Almost set with my plans for my first week ever in Crete!

<_< One day horseback riding and snorkling in Georgioupolis

:rolleyes: One day walking the Samaria Gorge.. bet I&acute;ll be knackered after that!

:rolleyes: One day in Iraklion, visiting Knossos and the city, and the next morning I&acute;ll visit the new aguarium and then the winedistricts nearby before going back to Chania where I am going to stay.

B) One day spent in Chania town and visit the market, shop and maybe go to some museums

:D And one day free for unknown adventures!!

The other days are more or less just travelling time.. maybe have time to sit and have a great meal somewhere and just endulge the day I am going back.. perhaps do some more last minute shopping.

THANK YOU all of you that gave me advices and tips!

If you have any more useful tips , please share!

All LOVE!
Yvette

#15 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

A splendid action-packed programme - also don't forget to enjoy just being in Crete, soaking up the atmosphere ... sounds great, have a fantastic time!

Henry.