#1 cory100

cory100

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

hello
i am a new member. i ll came in end of june to crete, to live 1 week in Matala, and i need some infos about this place, like where is best to eat, and need some help and info about where i can go from Matala by Bus, how far are the other places , citys i can visit. i heard about ierapetra,Krissis island, can i go there by bus? or to elafonissis? are bus conections w this places? how far is by bus Ieraklion?
Any Advices can help...thank you
Cory

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

We spent several days in Matala in mid-May and can recommend Mare Mare on the sea-front as a place to eat. We also had good meals in the taverna on the main square and the one opposite the book shop, but don't remember the names.

As for bus services can't really help, as we had a hired car, but I think you'll find Ierapetra and Elafonissis too far - they are at the far end of the East and West of the island respectively and it's a big island!

You should definitely try to get to Phaestos and Agia Triadha to see the Minoan ruins while there and lso the folk museaum in Vori is worth a visit.

Enjoy!

#3 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:26 AM

Hi Cory100

first at all wellcome here on board :rolleyes:

You've found a very nice stay for your holiday in Matala.

The bus to Iraklion goes 4 times a day and needs 1 1/2 hours. Here is the link to the ktel-krete, the busservice:

KTEL-CRETE

Matala has very nice beache - its really to far away to go by bus to elafonissi and chrissi. So - take a walk to the red beach or to komos beach. Go to Pitsidia, Kamilari and Kalamaki. In Pitsidia you'll feel real Crete life.

By boat you can go to the holy gorge - agio farango. Also the monastiry of Odigitria is nearby. Try to visit the marked of Mires every Saturday...

As Pam did try to hire a car or a bike and find place, you'll not reach with a bus...

A week in Matala is very short. There is so much more to see as Pam and I told you... But - I think you'll enjoy also your 7 days... :lol:

Some photos of the area Matala

Kind regards

Christa

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:14 PM

Christa, your photoalbum is very, very nice! I wish I had your eye for the right way to take a picture!!

:rolleyes:

#5 cory100

cory100

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

thank you, very much for your answer Pam and for you advice and nice artistics photos Christa. :D
Cori