6 replies to this topic

#1 Toni

Toni

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:00 PM

I am just reading a new book called 'The Island' written by Victoria Heslop and just wondered if any other members here have read it ? This wonderful book tells the story of an English girl tracing back her family history through her Cretan mother which reveals that the leper colony on Spinalonga just off the North East Coast near Elounda played a very big part in their lives. I am only halfway through but what an incredibly moving story this is , having been on a trip to the island myself and visiting this area a few times It makes the book even better as I can see it all happening as I read. I will be In Hersonissos for a week next Friday and am very much looking forward to visiting again. Highly recommended read , Toni.

#2 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:52 PM

It is an excellent book. I read it about 3 weeks ago, thought it would get me all psyched up for my holiday. It is doing the rounds now, all my friends want to read it. Would recommend it to anyone. Only 9 days to go until I am back in Crete! :rolleyes:

#3 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the recommendation Toni. I'll try and get my hands on a copy.

#4 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:04 AM

Just ordered it! Thank you for recommending it. :rolleyes:
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#5 yvonnetp

yvonnetp

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I have just ordered it on e-bay. There are lots of copies there - it seems a very popular book as it was recommended on Richard and Judy's Book Club

#6 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

Yup,read it weeks ago.Highly recommended.It really brings the Spinolonga story,alive!
A little tip:I paid 6-75 in Waterstones,2 week later,it was in Tesco at 3-75!DOH!

#7 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

Hi all.
Actually the name of the leper island is "Kalidona" but I'm not sure if the island and the the peninsula together form the name "Spina Longa".
A pity Toni you didn't post it in the forum "Reviews". That way it stays easier accessible.

Wim ;)

Attached Files

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."