5 replies to this topic

#1 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:53 AM

I lived on Crete in 1969 & 1970. A friend and I drove south of Heraklion to the southern coast of the island one day when we had nothing else to do. I remember the road being dirt and gravel for part of the trip. I asked the friend if he remembered where the place was. He remembers a story that may be the clue I need to identify the place. Here is his story:

"I remember a legend which spoke of Crete being attacked by Africans with lions. When the Africans left, one of the lions was late getting on the boats so he sat on the shore and looked out toward Africa. There is a mountain formation which resembles the head of a lion looking toward Africa."

Have any of you heard this story? If so, do you know where this mountain or hill is located? I want to try and find it when we are visiting Crete from 7-15 June.

Jeff
Texas USA

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:06 AM

Hi Jeff,
you are one of the lucky explorers who had the chance to see Crete as well will never see it again.
The name of the place is Lentas, the ancient Levin. I have heard stories about the dirt road you describe and what an adventure it was to drive there until a new asphalt road was built.
The route up to the Asterousia mountains and then down to the coast is still impressive and inspiring and I have written about it here:
http://www.explorecr...ia-crossing.htm

You will find a photo of Lentas today here (the last photo): http://www.explorecr...tiko-lentas.htm
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:12 PM

Yannis,

Have you ever heard the story of the lion?

Jeff

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

Is there one?

Always thought it was just a rock in the shape of a lion were Lentas was named after? Just an imaginary name?

Stay curious <_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:14 PM

A friend recently told me he thought the "lion left behind" was somewhere near Kastri, east of Lentas on the southern coast. I still would like to know the official answer to the question.

Jeff
:rolleyes:

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:30 PM

I think this is about the closest you can get;

Lentas

:rolleyes:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."