6 replies to this topic

#1 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

I was gently ticked off by Yannis on one of my previous posts for saying I had heard that Iraklion airport was a bit of a dump. However, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised - the baggage reclaim on the outward journey came through in a reasonable time and the boards telling you which carousel to go to actually worked!. On the way back we allowed far too much time and got there 4 hours early, but found a couple of cantinas by the public car park which sold drinks and snacks at very reasonaly prices while we waited for the check-in to open. Again the boards telling you which check-in to use actually worked and so we were able to see when the desk opened, go there before the queue built up and back to the cantina for beers and souvlaki until we saw our plane land - a civilized way to spend our last few hours before leaving. So, apologies Yannis for my previous comment - just shows you shouln't rely on hearsay!

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:21 AM

Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with this airport, having to wait for a few hours in an extremely hot and overcrowded departure 'lounge'. I will remember your hint about the cantina outside if I should use Iraklion again but I must admit that I do try to fly into Chania if at all possible.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:47 AM

Will have first hand experience again inless than 2 weeks. The only problems I had last year was the waiting outside the airport before you can check in, of course this was just due to the volume of tourists arriving to very sadly return home... :D

#4 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:47 AM

I spent seven hours at Heraklion Airport a few years ago thanks to a delayed flight. Not an experience I'd like to repeat. But then I dont really want to spend seven hours in any airport. There's only so much perfume a girl can buy in Duty Free :D

#5 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

What amazes me about Heraklion airport is that altough being small and croweded the flights and passengers during the summer peak months are moving at a fantastic speed never be seen at other airports worldwide!! I admire the people who work there under these conditions.

#6 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

The thing about departing from all Greek airports - particularly if you are travelling independently - is this: check in as soon as possible, but do not go through passport into the departure lounge until you know that your plane is about to land. It is so much nicer to relax outside than inside, isn't it.

Anyway, I'd be delighted to fly to Heraklion tomorrow. Sadly, I'm pretty sure I won't be :D

Henry.

#7 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:51 AM

We flew into Heraklion on 7 June and departed on 15 June. Other than an extremely long line to go through the security check on departure, our airport experience was fine. The luggage arrived in a timely manner (we were flying Aegean) and the shuttle from the plane to the terminal was fine. We walked out to the plane on departure.

I rented a car in the airport (I had made earlier car reservations) and everything worked smoothly at Hertz.

No problems.
:D