17 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi Yannis
Good to have you back, didn't realise how much of an explorecrete junkie i was until we lost you. Hope you have sorted the b......ds who brought such disruption out at long last. Most forms of life have some purpose-but I can't think of one for hackers!
Thanks for all the effort file mou.

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:24 PM

Hi Tim,
nice to see a new message in the forum, after almost 2 weeks. It was not only the Explorecrete forum and site that was hacked. Most websites that use this specific type of Forum have been hacked by those who managed to find a security hole in it. They are common criminals and there are many angry webmasters after them at the moment.
Anyway...The forums, blogs and photoalbums are back, so let's enjoy them...
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

Wonderful to see things back again! :D
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

Ohhhhhhh, nice to back online! As Tim I didn't realize how the habit of reading the forum every morning has grown on me, and I have felt real "homeless" the last few weeks.

Thanks to these hackers we also had to renounce on Yannis's participation in the "big" event on May 20 in Matala, but I hope we will soon have another occasion to see you down here in the South, Yannis! We did have a nice time though, It's real nice to meet people "in life" when you have known them so long only through the forum!

I'll attach a garlic bunch on my profile to keep the hackers away! :D

#5 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:25 PM

I, too, am glad to see the Forum return! Our return trip to Crete is only 9 days away! Can't wait........

Yannis, thank you for your efforts in getting the Forum "healed" and back up and running.

Jeff

#6 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:45 PM

Welcome back to everyone, I have really missed the site

Ian
Ian

#7 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

"I'll attach a garlic bunch on my profile to keep the hackers away!"

.....Vampire hackers, no less! *scared* :D
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#8 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

Yannis nice to have explorecrete back again. I have missed it every morning when I take my daily tour around the island sites.
Back from Crete again after a very pleasant and funny Easter.........and the beauty of your island is fantastic..............like a bride ready to get married..... as I remember my wife. But....she was very nervous and all the flowers fell from their stalks even before we reached the altar.
Crete had all its flower left and it was magnificent. How shall get out of this now?
Nice you are back, all of you!
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#9 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:56 PM

You never know what you have until it's gone!
Thanks Yiannis

#10 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:10 PM

I am so pleased to see us all back in touch and I can only imagine the hours and euros it cost to put right - let's hope knowing how valued the site and forum is helped Yannis through such a black patch.

Good job Dinny had posted directions to the party in plenty of time - I am looking forward to learning how it went.

Kind regards to all

Yvonne
Kritsa Yvonne

#11 Helena Howard

Helena Howard

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:09 AM

:D Hello so sorry to hear about the problems youve had here Yannis:( but glad the forums are back its almost that time of year again Holiday time:) so I wanted to catchup on all the Crete gossop I cannot understand those hackers they must have no lives:( grr!!

#12 Al(Kiwi)

Al(Kiwi)

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:43 AM

Welcome back Yannis..you don't know how much we missed you in wintry New Zealand.. Also sorry we missed the Battle of Crete celebrations in Chania area this year. Hope all the hacking problems are behind you and the culprit(s) brought to justice.. Have a nice Summer. :D

#13 gary

gary

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

:D Glade to see your are back.I will be in Crete on the 19th of July until the end of Aug.1st time back since 1992.We plan to spent a lot of time in my wife's village of Krioneri.It is so guite there.No cars.She has other family in Iraklion so we will be there also.A friend just came back from Crete and posted many photos of the island.WOW what a change.The old country I fell in love with seems to have gone by the way side.One place I have to see is the ruins of our old airforce base outside of Iraklion.Spent 7 years on it.Understand most of it is not use and falling apart.Saw photos of it as of June this year and could almost cry.Well time flys I guess.The change is good for the people so let it come....Gary

#14 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:02 AM

Hi all

I'm also glad that the forum is back... and to see you all again :D

Thanks to Yanni having done a great job

Christa

Attached Files

#15 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

Yannis, so sorry you had to spend all this time to get the forum back up and that it meant you had to miss the party - I was very much looking forward to meeting you. I'll leave Santo to describe how it all went as I'm sure he can do it much more amusingly than me. Suffice to say the following day it was "did we really have such a good time last night?" as we struggled to get up and join Ton for coffee.

Anyway . good to have this up and running again now we're back from holiday, and like many others I look forward to my morning (and sometimes lunchtime, afternoon....) check-up on the forum for the latest news and entertaining posts.

Pam

#16 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:16 AM

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I missed the forum, I missed the blogs, I missed the buzz of reading everything. Like Tim I don't think I realised just what an Explore Crete junkie I have become.
As already stated by many I'm sorry the site was 'hacked', but that could be remedied, albeit time consuming and probably expensive. I am more sorry that Yannis missed that opportunity to meet some of his 'virtual' friends and that weekend is something that can never be replaced. So Yannis I'm sorry for the inconvenience these bastards put you through, let alone the cost. Hopefully you wil be able to meet some, if not all, of those who were able to make the party again at a later date. Perhaps another party next year? I now await in anticipation for the (edited?) photos and details of the party when Santo returns home.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#17 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:28 AM

Awww Yannis, you have been missed!

Great to have you back.

Caroline :D :) :D

#18 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:43 AM

Totally in agreement with all that has been said. I work a lot of night shifts and it keeps me going through the wee small hours of morning :D