PeterW

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:26 AM

Hi!

Soon I will go to Crete for my first time. I will stay in the village
Almyrida perhaps there is a nice human who has been there or know something about Almyrida
or nearby places. I would be very grateful for info.

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:47 AM

We stayed in Almerida about 8 years ago and it was a nice quiet resort then, with a lovely beach. I think it's probably been developed some more since then, though. There is a pleasant walk you can do from the back of the village up to a small village and taverna in the hills, though we missed the turning on the way up and ended up going the long way round on the road! Kalyves is worth a visit as well and Chania is also not far, though from what I remember there were no buses from the village at the time. We didn't do much when we were there as my father was with us recovering from a heart attack, but it was very pleasant just lazing about on the beach and in the village for the week.

Enjoy!!!

#3 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:40 AM

We stayed in Almyrida in 2003, and twice in 2004, when we took our parents and one of our daughters. Since 2005 we have been staying in Kalyves. Almyrida is a pleasant enough place as a base to stay with two good beaches and plenty of tavernas and bars. there is however no greek character left in the place, it isnow almost completely taken over by British ex-pats and holidaymakers. It cannot ever have been a proper greek village because there is no church. There are two or three buses a day into Chania, if you want to do much exploring of the island a hire car will probably be necessary. You can walk into Kalyves in about 30 minutes along the coast. Kalyves is a real Greek town with several banks, a large supermarket on the outskirts, lots of local shops, a petrol station and large church.
It is about a 20 min walk up the hill to Plaka a village with a square and several tavernas.
There is a French owned watersports company renting sailboats, sailboards, and I believe bicycles in Almirida.
We can personally recommend The Lagos(h) taverna at the Western edge of the village for mommas cheese pies, beef stifatho, and the chocolate cake that comes with the raki with the bill (say hello to Jannis for us), and the Thalamis has good barrel wine, interesting Tapenade with the bread, but the complimentary semolina tart that you get with the raki is not to our taste.
Do try to get into Chania on a Saturday morning for the farmer's market alongside the Eastern city wall on Odos Minoos.
We are sure you will have a good time.

#4 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

Mike & Jane - have you bought the wine from the barrel at the little shop by the butchers by any chance. I understand they produce their own raki also. If you did was it good?