5 replies to this topic

#1 GinaRosa

GinaRosa

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:19 AM

We're planning a holiday in Crete for next year for myself, husband and children(!) aged 18 and 21, as it is going to be a silver wedding (ours) I wonder if anyone can give us recommendations as to where to stay, we'd like a villa if possible, not into boozing and partying, but love good food, wine etc. also willing to hire a car to explore. We have never been to Crete before, but have been to the Peloponnese and loved the warmth of the people and the great food and would like to explore more places and hopefully keep everyone happy and have plenty to do. Any ideas would be welcome. :)

#2 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:59 AM

Hi GinaRosa, and welcome to the site...........if you have the time to browse, look through the many forums and links within this site and i'm positive you will be able to decide on an area that will suit you all.

As for car hire I'm in crete 16th to 30th May, and I've got a Citroen C3 for 15 days, all inclusive insurance delivered to Iraklion airport and returned there for 200. would happily give you the contact if you send a personal message.

have fun planning
:) :P :(
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

Hi Santo,

Sounds like a good deal... if you don't mind, you might send the details to me, since I have some youngsters coming down this summer and they would like to hire a car. I didn't really want to get into this part of it, but maybe I could give them some directions....

:)

#4 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:44 PM

Are you looking for a package or independent? We tend to go independent nowadays, but can recommend a small company who we have used in the past and are very good. They have some nice villas, mainly in the west of Crete. If you like I can send you the details.

#5 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:50 AM

Hi GinaRosa,

also a great welcome to this site and congratulations to your silver wedding in advance. :)
I think, it's a great idea to celebrate this at crete...

Where will your flight go??? Chania or Iraklion??? And when do you want to go to crete? June? July? This year? Next year? It would be easier to give you an advice, if we know a little bit more...

Do you and your family like more the culture, the nature or only enjoying the crete way of life???

A villa near the sea??? Or nearby the mountains???

Good food and good wines you'll find everywhere at crete... So - tell us al little bit more :P

Kind regards

Christa

#6 GinaRosa

GinaRosa

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

Hi All, and thanks for the welcome.

We'd usually like to go on holiday as independent as possible. I think I mentioned in my original post that a villa near to the sea would be nice. I don't know what airport we would be flying into as we've never been before - hence the query! As I think I also mentioned that it would be next year probably around April/May time. I don't know anything about the Crete way of life, but would like to explore and hopefully avoid anything too touristy, but as we have older kids we have to think of them as well - so something to keep them amused would be helpful.

Santo and Pam - I will e-mail you personally for the details of car hire, villas etc. many thanks for your offer of help in this.